WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the all metal why $249 and above on differing models? Supply demand or do other mods offer my features?

·
Registered
54 Posts
They only differ in color and material. Probably there's also a little bit of supply and demand calculated in.

regards
Fabian

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Hi JT!

I assume you mean why do some CORE models cost more than others? Or are you talking about the whole Suunto line?

edit: well duh... your post title says it all LOL...

I don't know. Its wierd.. I think its a bizarre marketing experiment. LOL. Probably why I have a Y&B!

·
Registered
392 Posts
OK...Im going to say my peace with this one more time but...when I was first interested in the CORE, I read a local ad and it said that both the Black Orange and Light Black had, along with the improved band with lugs, an anti reflective coated mineral glass crystal. That said I think the black band that comes with the light green is amazing, and the Black Orange still remains not as readable as the yellow black for some reason even though both are negative displays. The only thing Ive noticed is a blue 'hue' with the black orange which indicates the coating. I 'think' the look with the lugs is nicer though visually, but the other bands on the green and light yellow are probably more durable...just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
i thought the CBO negative display was different from the CBY negative display.

i held both in my hand and noticed an orangy tinge to the CBO. perhaps this is the reason for the reduced readability over the CBY which has the more traditional negative LCD?

and with regards to this anti reflective coating, if it's anything like what they use on glasses, wouldn't it have a greenish hue to it? i've noticed that on my anti reflective glasses.

wiki says "The perception of green is evoked by light having a spectrum dominated by energy with a wavelength of roughly 520&*8211;570 nm. The sensitivity of the dark-adapted human eye is greatest at about 507 nm, a blue-green color, while the light-adapted eye is most sensitive about 555 nm, a slightly yellowish green; these are the peak locations of the rod and cone (scotopic and photopic, respectively) luminosity functions."
which is to say: green's wavelength is within the human eye's greatest sensitivity range.
has anyone ever seen a beam of light from the sun and squinted until you see a bar graph style rainbow? anyone ever notice that green is the most prominent color?

ANYWAYS, i'm rambling. i figure the alu brown, steel steel, light black and black orange cores are the most expensive due to the lug system they use for the straps. and those ones rise in price as the materials become more swanky.
the light green and black yellow cores are the only ones that don't use the lugs, and they average about 100 bucks cheaper.
can those lugs really be worth the 100 bucks?

·
Registered
54 Posts
[...] an anti reflective coated mineral glass crystal.[...] The only thing Ive noticed is a blue 'hue' with the black orange which indicates the coating.
I never read it was 'anti-reflective'. But that may mean that the blue hue (it's very noticeable in the last picture http://www.suunto.com/suunto/Worlds...older_id=2534374302757932&bmUID=1212487280724)
is actually something similar to polarizing glass filters used in photography filters - that's supposedly not superficial coating but glass composition.

Overall, this blue/indigo hue is something I like a lot: under a certain angle and under full sun all the external light is reflected and the display digits are invisible - I like it as stealth in full day. Indoors the digits are fully visible under the same viewing angle. It's of course a matter of taste, some discard this as too little visibility.

This 'polarizing' glass is used also on some eg Oakley sun shades ('HDO polarized' is called at Oakley I believe, but they're not the only ones).

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Man when you guys get off topic you get OFF topic...

Okay... So the Official Version is.. "The Black and Orange and Light Black have more Aluminum than Composite Materials- there is a much larger Aluminum Bezel than on the Light Green and Black and Yellow. The other difference is the difference is Bands. They are otherwise exactly the same in function. The differences in B/Y core visibility and the B/O Core, is that the B/O core has the Brown LCD, and the B/Y has a more traditional Negative LCD. The Other Cores obviously have very different materials, which explains their pricing. "

- I called Suunto to find out why this morning-

Second the easiest way to explain (at least How I explain it to my students) why we see green best is that because we see a wavelength range of 400 nm to 700 nm, we can conclude that the center of this range is about 550 nm which is coincidentally, the color Green.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
ha, but i ended my post off on-topic! don't blame me haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts