WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that many enthusiasts tend to lean on the Seamaster way heavy.
Don't get me wrong, they are nice and versatile, but the refinement of the Seamaster AquaTerra is just outstanding and oozes with class.

·
Premium Member
7,388 Posts
I think the AT’s have gained a lot of traction in recent years and I’m not sure they’re too far behind the Seamasters in desirability these days. The AT is a rather new addition to the Omega lineup (beginning of 2000 sometime) whereas the Seamaster (the dive watch that is under the Seamaster banner) came out in the late fifties and have tons of history and design iterations, hence the larger fan base maybe and the greater general interest.
Also, dive watches as a genre generally create a lot of interest due to their history, specs and functionality, and also the way the watch industry has been able to market them as rugged, masculine, and long lasting toolery over the years.

Edit: I went with an AT.
20200525_230201_1590415418900.jpg

Funny thing is I've always disliked Omega's diver designs, but after trying some on again (I especially like the Seamaster with the white dial with black bezel), I have changed my mind and I've put some thought into getting one. They have really stepped up the quality, especially when you consider the price they can be purchased for used or gray.

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
I like the AT a lot. Nearly picked one up a few times when the AUD$ was higher and they had cheap preowned quartz's everywhere.

It's just a little subtle for me, I like big divers

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wonder if the higher price of the AT vs the Diver 300m might have something to do with it. Honestly it’s always seems to me the 300m should be the more expensive option with it’s ceramic bezel, higher water resistance and clasp with micro adjust/dive extension. That being said the Diver is also just the more iconic model with its ties to James Bond. I do agree that the AT is probably the most versatile watch in Omegas collection. Can be dressed up or down with ease and still has enough WR to do just about anything.

Reactions: fskywalker

·
Registered
10,492 Posts

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I dislike the helium escape crown sticking out like a malignant mass on the Seamaster, which I guess have grown even more prominent on the latest iteration, so the AT would be at the top of my list if I was looking for a sports watch from Omega.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
They are nice watches, had many versions over the last few years. Currently the Good Planet is the one!

Wow, genuinely my first time laying eyes on this model. I'm not 100% certain yet, but I think I've just found the GADA watch for the next decade (I made a thread about it). Thank you.

Reactions: fskywalker

·
Registered
335 Posts
I debated for a long time on getting an AT. But even though it came out a while ago, seeing the Bond AT in Skyfall made me realize how versatile they could be...and yes, I know Omega’s marketing team did that on purpose, but guess what—it worked lol! Just picked up my first last week as a compliment to my SMPc. 38mm is def a perfect size for my 7.5 in wrist.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I think the Seamaster is more popular for two reasons:

1. It has a diver bezel. This is a handy contraption even if you don't dive with it.
2. It has provenance. The James Bond thing and it has been around for over 25 years.

The Aqua Terra is a more dressy and every day more appropriate watch. After owning a Seamaster, if I wanted to go the more dressy and elegant route, I would save up the extra $1K or so and get a "Globemaster". That's nice.

heb

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
AT 38.5 is a beautiful style/size combo. Now y'all better not post a picture of the AT Skyfall because I am going to be mad. Unless you want to sell it to me :)

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Thats a perfect size. Don't see many 38.5mm with the black dial. Very classy indeed. Enjoy in great health :)

I debated for a long time on getting an AT. But even though it came out a while ago, seeing the Bond AT in Skyfall made me realize how versatile they could be...and yes, I know Omega’s marketing team did that on purpose, but guess what—it worked lol! Just picked up my first last week as a compliment to my SMPc. 38mm is def a perfect size for my 7.5 in wrist.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
AT 38.5 is a beautiful style/size combo. Now y'all better not post a picture of the AT Skyfall because I am going to be mad. Unless you want to sell it to me :)
IMG_4222.jpg

Not for sale though. Sorry dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think it's because aesthetically they go against the Rolex DJ and OP, which have been made for decades and are therefore available "inexpensively" (heavy quotes, obviously, since this is very relative). Omega doesn't have quite the clout that Rolex does so the pricing lands accordingly on the secondary market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts