WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mechanical watches are less reliable, more delicate and need to be serviced regularly. Quartz watches are more accurate and require less servicing.

So...

Why do we bother buying mechanical watches? Just curious to konw :)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well, if you have to ask, stick with quartz.

By the way, I have and like quartz and have auto and hand wind watches.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Mechanical watches are durable within reason, not less reliable at all, really aren't that less delicate and don't actually need to be serviced more regularly than around 5-7 or 10 years.

Some have never been serviced and run 50 years. With a quartz, you need to get battery changes within around the same time frame as a mechanical needs a service anyway. The reason I buy them is because I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into making them, the fact that it is a component made of individual parts that actually require skill to assemble and regulate, the smooth sweeping seconds hand always lines up with the markers unlike quartz, mechanicals have real history and heritage, they're different from what the masses wear and unlike quartz there's many different variations of mechanical movements with different functions to pick and choose from. I find quartz boring personally. Sold all my quartz to fund nice mechanicals way back when I joined the forum.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Damn fine, logical question. I myself find them more romantic (in the old school definition of the term), more in line with my tastes. I love the idea of the skill and craft that goes into this older technology. I agree with Mike above...it is just cooler! Though that is just me....and Mr. Dowling :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
There really is no practical reason. We even then take it a step further arguing why an inhouse movement is better then ETA-type despite being even less practical or efficient. I guess a pragmatic person should get a Citizen Eco-Drive as it blows away most movements out there for performance and maintenance.

·
Premium Member
7,297 Posts
I mourn the demise of the three-dimensional world as it is replaced by a software-driven world, and thus I take opportunities to preserve made things that preserve the three-dimensional arts, even though I also fully participate in the software-driven world.

I don't consider my smartphone to be a statement about my aesthetic and engineering values, even though I find it useful. My watch, however, is the closest I come to artistic expression in my personal adornments. And it pleases me to use a timepiece that reflects ancient manufacturing craft, and that isn't going to just stop someday forcing me to have a battery replaced.

Rick "who has several quartz watches not working because of dead or damaged batteries" Denney

1 - 20 of 578 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.