·
Banned
7,741 Posts
I don’t mind it. It’s not like it’s on a $2k watch

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
/unchuff

It hasn't stopped me from buying 5s, but every 5 I've seen would've looked better w/o it, IMO.

/rechuff
Reminds me of when Dwight shuns and un-shuns Andy repeatedly in The Office.

Also don't get all chuffy bruv because Seiko 5 is P U R E C L A S S H A U T E H O R O L O G Y

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It looks cheap and childish like it’s on a kid’s race car... and not a cool one like the Mach 5. I know these watches aren’t supposed to be epic, but I think a lot of them would punch higher and well above their price if they even just switched to a Roman five. The badge doesn’t do too much for me for a shape either, kind of looks like a road sign.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I don't hate Seiko 5 badge. I've considered buying one before, but never did, because I justified in my mind I have "better" and too many watches already.

A Seiko 5 with some micro-adjustment holes seriously might size more comfortably on the wrist than a GS that has none on bracelet.

It occurred to me "hate" just means "love" for the opposite, so spin it as such! LOL e.g. "Hate cheap" can be phrased as "love luxury" and there you go, sounds much better. ;)

In my experience, I think if I buy a Seiko 5, I wouldn't mind scratching it all up, and probably end up enjoying it more than more expensive "box queens".

·
Registered
562 Posts
I find the "5" obtrusive because it calls so much attention to itself.
I feel this is the root of everyone's disdain towards it.

For me the biggest issue with the 5 badge is when it is placed on a Seiko that does not adhere to all five of the "5" lineup properties. Seiko is diminishing their own image in an attempt to distinguish their lower price range offerings.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I feel this is the root of everyone's disdain towards it. For me the biggest issue with the 5 badge is when it is placed on a Seiko that does not adhere to all five of the "5" lineup properties. Seiko is diminishing their own image in an attempt to distinguish their lower price range offerings.
I agree. I don't mind the 5 (and it's my fav number!) but it's quite loud branding by Seiko to reaffirm "HEY! FYI THIS IS A BUDGET WATCH" just so you don't forget it's not a SARB. I'm more annoyed when they also tack on the Sports below the 5, that's going a step too far IMO, but perhaps that's because I associate literal sports watches with digital quartz beaters (a la timex and casio). You can't make everyone happy though. Just take a look at the prospex branding and some of the GS line dropping Seiko off the dial, you'll always have someone moaning about something.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
While I don't love the 5 branding on the watch, it isn't a deal breaker for me. This thread got me wondering about the branding though and why it's there. I ripped this directly from Wikipedia so credit them:

Seiko 5 was created to be a watch whose performance would serve the demanding needs of the 1960s generation, who cared less for tradition and more about life.

The watch has five key attributes:
-- Automatic winding
-- Day/date displayed in a single window - rare at the time.
-- Water resistance
-- Recessed crown at the 4 o’clock position
-- Durable steel case and bracelet

To keep cost down, the Seiko 5 models using 7S movement don't have hand winding or hack abilities.

·
Registered
GS SBGA373
1,127 Posts
While I don't love the 5 branding on the watch, it isn't a deal breaker for me. This thread got me wondering about the branding though and why it's there. I ripped this directly from Wikipedia so credit them:

Seiko 5 was created to be a watch whose performance would serve the demanding needs of the 1960s generation, who cared less for tradition and more about life.

The watch has five key attributes:
-- Automatic winding
-- Day/date displayed in a single window - rare at the time.
-- Water resistance
-- Recessed crown at the 4 o'clock position
-- Durable steel case and bracelet

To keep cost down, the Seiko 5 models using 7S movement don't have hand winding or hack abilities.
Of all the Seiko 5's I own none of them have the crown at 4 o'clock. They are all at 3 o'clock.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Reactions: anabuki

·
Registered
159 Posts
One too many logos on the dial making it look too busy. I’m fine if they just put the letter “5” after the “seiko” or below it.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts