WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, why do you guys like micro brands ?
What micros do you have and why have you bought them ?
For me the answer is very simple, as I am by all means a budget collector. I bought the micros I have for the good value they offer, well above the price tag. I also like them because they have unique designs or at least an unique aproach on a classic design. I want diversity in my colection, and that means diversity of materials as well. Actually, three out of the four micros I have I bought because I wanted a watch made from a certain material (Reise Resolute-titanium, Zelos Hammerhead 2-bronze, Ventus Black Kite-carbon) and those were the ones I liked most, within a certain budget. I bought the fourth one(Albert Villa Jazz Age-Brodway) because I wanted a red dial and it was really hard to find one that I liked and I could afford, so when this showed up on my radar, I was absolutely delighted .
Cheers !

·
Registered
883 Posts
I like them inasmuch they offer something I can't get from larger brands, but I don't think I have a general attitude towards them. For the most part, it seems to me that whatever passion big brands may lack, they make up in professionalism, and then it's only a question whether I like what either have on offer.

·
Registered
36,599 Posts
I’d never heard of Microbrands before I joined WUS, as living in the UK I was brought up on mall watches.

So when I heard about Helson, Maranez, Ancon etc, I filled my boots and I loved the quality and originality that came at the bargain basement prices, Helson bronze case anyone 😍

Not so keen on the raft of “Homage” micros that all seem to base everything on the Rolex Submariner, Steinhart anyone 🤔

But as my nan used to say, you pays your money and makes your choice.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I dropped a decent chunk of change on a zelos I was impressed with online, but when it came in was extremely underwhelming.

I spent around $4k on the 8 day titanium azure, and there's nothing wrong with it, it's just kind of flat and dull. Upsetting that I could have gotten a seamster or a seiko spring drive for the same price.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Same here. I love the variety, different materials and unusual designs.

Some examples from my collection:

Maranez Layan, brass

Prometheus Poseidon, bronze

Gorilla Fastback, forged carbon

Geckota K3, a great basis for hand engraving

Werenbach Leonov, dial made from used Soyuz rocket booster material

Genesis Aura, no special materials, but designed and made by Christine Genesis here in Hamburg, she's just a fantastic and charming person

Archimede Outdoor, hardened case, found its way to me after a pass-around organized by Mike Stuffler and Lisa Ickler (head of Archimede)

Alexander Shorokhoff Neva, PVD blue case, amazing guilloched dial

In addition to the great value and variety these brands offer, I've also found these brands super accessible for questions. It's just not some anonymous million dollar enterprise, you actually get in contact with the people who are directly involved with the making of these watches. With most of the brands shown above, it was even direct communication with the brand owners themselves.

I have huge respect for people who take the risk and start their own watch brands in this competitive market. That requires a lot of dedication and enthusiasm for watches, so buying from them and helping them to grow their business feels a lot better than paying the Swatch Group, at least to me. There's just a lot more personal involvement.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Somehow I managed to leave out the picture of only micro-brand watch I own, which illustrates my point - this is the only 1940s-style quartz chronograph that I was able to find, at least with a competent movement. It's nice, though a bit on the flimsy side, and with only 30 m water resistance. It's also my only watch with an acrylic crystal. It's only really got one fault, and that is that the hour and minute hand are a bit too similar in length (you couldn't tell from the picture, but it is a problem in actual use), but it's not a dealbreaker and I do enjoy wearing it - the movement is what I require and it's aesthetically very pleasing to me.

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Font

·
Registered
166 Posts
So many reasons to love the micro brands...design, value, the passion of their creators. Weiss, Scurfa, MKII, Cincinnati Watch Co...these are my favs so far.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes, same here, collection diversity and affordability are among my main goals.

Because I wanted but can never afford or want to maintain a real 1960's Omega or Heuer racing chronograph - so Dan Henry 1964 it is:
Watch Analog watch Silver Watch accessory Clock

Finger Wrist Thumb Material property Nail

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

Then I saw this non-homage retro-modern racing inspired sports watch with original style and sapphire crystal for under $200 USD, so had to get this Roue SSD for more casual outings:
Silver Font Jewellery Circle Metal

Wood Rectangle Silver Box Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Watch accessory

And another microbrand will be on the way in October . . .

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had one, a Berhardt Binnacle, and didn’t care for it. I’m toying with a Weiss, so I haven’t totally given up on them, but we’ll see.

·
Premium Member
10,193 Posts
No general attitude about them. My experience says they can be great and a super value but also can be as overhyped as any other watch company’s offerings. Plus, they can be excellent at CS or just as likely abysmal at it. Like most things it’s a one by one decision.

Reactions: Ragl and chopy_ro

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I don't know why micros are associated with budget watches - micros, like macros, span the gamut of price ranges.

My collection almost entirely consists of micros because I generally look for made / assembled in the USA watches, and only RGM approaches the ability to be defined as a macro. Micros are also more adventurous in their designs - they aren't tied to just one look or model, and can branch out with different styles.

I own a Marathon and a Sinn, both superlative watches, but with micros I can get immediate customer service and generally talk directly to the owner. In that vein, Ronald (RGM), Chase (Oak & Oscar), Patrick (Detroit Watch Company), and Thomas (Minuteman) are friendly, helpful, and provide excellent customer service. I'd recommend their watches to anyone.

Of course, not all micros are like this: Kobold is an outright terrible company, and their owner is trash.

Now, onto the glamour shots:

Smith & Braley Ambush: I'm hanging out the right window of an HH-60 Pavehawk.

Lum-Tec Combat Bronze B: I skied out to a glacier in Alaska. I should have worn the nylon NATO band, but I was a fan of the leather.

RGM Model 222: out to a classy dinner.

·
Registered
740 Posts
That's the biggy. Buying a watch and the company goes out of business. Hopefully they use standard size crystals. Stem diameter. Movement fit. Otherwise if it breaks. It's done. Unless you do the same and make the 'custom' parts. From a treasure to a project.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I blow hot and cold on them. I own a few I like, but I can't say I love them. Some have interesting dials or innovatively-designed cases or something else about the design that piques my interest, and I'm drawn. But there are limits, because they all use the same basic movements, don't invest in innovation (aside from looks) and most probably are produced by the same Asian factories.

Still, if I ever buy another quartz watch, it'll probably be a Dan Henry. So go figure.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That's the biggy. Buying a watch and the company goes out of business. Hopefully they use standard size crystals. Stem diameter. Movement fit. Otherwise if it breaks. It's done. Unless you do the same and make the 'custom' parts. From a treasure to a project.
...no company that I've bought from has gone out of business.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Small scale production makes for more interesting designs and material choices. Lack of shareholders gives the micros the freedom to experiment in a way that the larger and more established watchmakers never could.

·
Registered
313 Posts
More than half of my watches are from micros. I appreciate the willingness to take chances and be innovative by the best of the lot. And in my experience, most (or at least a lot) of the micros take pride in nicely finished, well executed product. Also, it’s the only way to get made in the USA - or designed and assembled in the US - watches.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I enjoy some with unique styles and some for their low price.

This is an Oak and Oscar flyback chronograph

Kurono toki

RZE titanium

Undone

Ming

Vertex

Smiths

Anicorn

And three more on the way

Yes I like micros and I have several from independent's. I'm a fan!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts