WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Panearai peeps, help me out. I dont understand the love for Panerai. I know beauty is subjective, and to each his own, but I dont get it. I want to like them because they're unique, but they seem to be all so similar to one another with only minor variations, and pretty simple to cost so much. I've seen a few in the wild and they just looked odd to me.

What am I missing? Is it the heritage? Some kind of mechanical complexity? Just the design language of the brand? Why do you like Panerai? Maybe you can educate me and change my mind, or maybe it's just not a good fit for me.

And please know I'm not bashing Panerai or trolling to tick anyone off. I'm truly just looking for thoughts of Panerai fans to see what I'm missing. I thought this would be a good place to ask the question.

馃憤

Registered
Panerai is a polarizing brand...in a sense you either get it or not...

I like them because of their appearance,simplicity and legibility....despite being a big watch,I find them to be more low profile than the likes of Rolex and Omega

Panerai is a bit like Porsche 911...one look and you know what it is

I wrote this in the other thread...Panerai is one of the few brand that stays loyal to their root with 47mm radiomirs (vs 3646) and 47mm luminors (vs 6152)...even Rolex sub has gotten fatter in their latest iteration

Banned
I agree - i love them for simplicity, unique crown guard, and legibility. I also think they have some interesting history. That said, I don't think you need to have more than one (maybe two) in a collection. I have a 112 in my collection of 7 watches. Love it. It balances out my other pieces well.

Attachments

Registered
first word that came to mind when i read the title is: Unique (which you had already said).
IMO. you gotta love it to enjoy it. if you feel nothing for this Brand ?. don't waste your money..
personally. if a Watch doesn't skip my heart beat when i look at it . it's not for me.
maybe you should hang around a bit longer and get to know the Brand a little deeper, and hopefully that will ignite your passion for this very unique Brand.

i also like what pj1369 said:
I don't think you need to have more than one (maybe two) in a collection.
they sure look very similar. but how many do you need?.
after years in this hobby. i've learned that having a couple of pieces from each Brand is a better way to a nicer round up collection.

best of luck with your next venture

Reactions: bigclive2011

Registered
For me I was intrigued by them for almost 20 years but not enough to even try one on. I started to research the company and I was even more intrigued... Then one day I tried one on. Instantly I really liked it. I could't believe how well they wear. I ended up getting one that month... After wearing it for a week I developed a huge appreciation for the simplicity and how effective the dial communicates to me... The Panerai simplicity actually caused me to sell a few other watches I owned and loved in the past but no longer...

Registered
Ok Panearai peeps, help me out. I dont understand the love for Panerai. I know beauty is subjective, and to each his own, but I dont get it. I want to like them because they're unique, but they seem to be all so similar to one another with only minor variations, and pretty simple to cost so much. I've seen a few in the wild and they just looked odd to me.

What am I missing? Is it the heritage? Some kind of mechanical complexity? Just the design language of the brand? Why do you like Panerai? Maybe you can educate me and change my mind, or maybe it's just not a good fit for me.

And please know I'm not bashing Panerai or trolling to tick anyone off. I'm truly just looking for thoughts of Panerai fans to see what I'm missing. I thought this would be a good place to ask the question.

馃憤
It鈥檚 true, many of them look very similar to each other, and the all the different reference numbers can be overwhelming... probably more so if you鈥檙e new to the brand. But as you go further into the rabbit hole, you鈥檒l start to notice the distinction between models. I鈥檒l be honest and say that I have to look up many of the ref. numbers to know what watch someone is talking about, and I鈥檝e been in/out of Panerai since 2003/2004o|

I will say that IMHO, the history/heritage, hype, and all the rest of it won鈥檛 mean squat if it doesn鈥檛 move you aesthetically. It鈥檚 gotta be something you feel vs. something you think. If/when it feels right, then all the history and other particulars will come into play and make you appreciate the brand even more...but it鈥檚 gotta be in that order.

Panerai was my first 鈥渆xpensive鈥 watch. Being a chronograph lover, I wanted a Rolex Daytona but was researching other brands to make sure I wasn鈥檛 missing out on some other model. One thing led to another and I stumbled onto a Panerai forum (WUS wasn鈥檛 around yet, IIRC). I liked Panerai as soon as I saw my first one. Eventually I got a PAM162 (OPs first 44mm chrono as seen in the first Transporter movie).

Why Panerai vs. Rolex?...well at the time, I didn鈥檛 care for the smaller dial size of the Rolex. I also wanted something different. It was also very cool that there was such a huge choice in Panerai straps, which would essentially change the look/feel of the watch with each strap change. I know from a dollar value perspective I made the wrong choice, but I still love the PAM162 and still think the Daytona is too small for my tastes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your insights, and thanks for not jumping on me for asking! This seems like it might be a friendlier subforum than some of the others!

Registered
Panerai is a bit like Porsche 911...one look and you know what it is
Well said. I have a Pam 112 in my collection that I鈥檝e been thinking of selling. I haven鈥檛 worn it in a few years...my tastes have changed and I really don鈥檛 wear anything over 40-41mm now. But I love the look of Panerai watches. Just a timeless design. I may get burned for this but...I鈥檓 considering replacing my 112 with a 38mm or 42mm Due sometime in the future.

Registered
I have yet to own a Panerai myself but I really like the simple dial and great legibility. I have been close many times to getting one and then another watch comes on the radar that I wanted so I buy that instead.
I would recommend trying a few on to see how you like them.

The last few times I have visited my local mall, the Panerai Boutique has been a ghost town. As in I鈥檓 the only customer.
The sales people were very nice and pleasant.

Registered
Well said. I have a Pam 112 in my collection that I鈥檝e been thinking of selling. I haven鈥檛 worn it in a few years...my tastes have changed and I really don鈥檛 wear anything over 40-41mm now. But I love the look of Panerai watches. Just a timeless design. I may get burned for this but...I鈥檓 considering replacing my 112 with a 38mm or 42mm Due sometime in the future.
No burn from me... I have an old school 40mm for my daily and love it. I like the 44mm and will get one eventually but I would not wear it for a daily...

Registered
I am new to Panerai myself.

Had the same questions as you had. Until curiosity got the best of me. Went to The Panerai boutique in my area and tried on Luminor,Radiomirs,Due and the Submersible lines. Back and forth until I bought the PAM 00682 (https://www.watchuseek.com/f75/pam00682-5100649.html).

Love it for its history, uniqueness and comfort on my 6.5鈥 wrist. As I said on a previous thread, Panerai is a brand you need try on. But before you go, check out their website and shortlist the watches you like and want to try. And if it still does not move you, then it鈥檚 not for you. But go ahead and try it on. You might be surprised馃槺馃槉

Good luck in your quest 馃憤馃徏馃枛馃徏

Rick

Reactions: bigclive2011

Registered
Because they are sexy.

Registered
I always liked the look of them, but really fell in love when I finally tried one on and saw it in person. It's readable, which I like and I love the sandwich dial and simple strap changes. I feel a strap change makes a bigger difference on the appearance of my Panerai's than it does most of my other watches but I could just be biased on that. Oh, and personally, I'm good with the size of them and have been completely unaffected by the trend to smaller watches. I still prefer a 42-44mm watch.

All that said though, Panerai is not a look one can be convinced to like. You either like them or you don't but as your taste in watches may change over time, you may one day like Panerai after years of not really being moved by them. That happened to me with Omega Speedmasters. I went years not giving them a second thought and then one day happened to try on one belonging to a friend, saw it on my wrist and said hmmm....

Banned
I always liked the look of them, but really fell in love when I finally tried one on and saw it in person. It's readable, which I like and I love the sandwich dial and simple strap changes. I feel a strap change makes a bigger difference on the appearance of my Panerai's than it does most of my other watches but I could just be biased on that. Oh, and personally, I'm good with the size of them and have been completely unaffected by the trend to smaller watches. I still prefer a 42-44mm watch.

All that said though, Panerai is not a look one can be convinced to like. You either like them or you don't but as your taste in watches may change over time, you may one day like Panerai after years of not really being moved by them. That happened to me with Omega Speedmasters. I went years not giving them a second thought and then one day happened to try on one belonging to a friend, saw it on my wrist and said hmmm....
I agree fully - either you like them or you don't. And, sometimes you just need to try one on! I remember when my best friend got one after trying it on in Vegas, at the Boutique. When he came home, I tried his new 111 on. Two weeks later I got my first Panerai and I've had it ever since! It also started my overall watch addition which grew from Panerai to Oris to Rolex to Bulgari - each piece different and representing something special in my collection.

Registered
For me its quite simple, i always luved the design and uniqueness of the models I just wish I was smarter and started buying earlier!

Id also say to the OP that most watch cos you will see that most watches look similar, heck look at rolex and near every watch case outside of the deepsea models is identical other then the face and bracelets where PAMs have atleast 4 distinct case designs...

But, my further appreciation and respect came from learning the history of the brand and how they have a strong legacy of what diver watches are all about and the mystery of the rolex connections around who really did what first....

OP, I always pass on to those who question the brand to learn the history before commenting on what you may or may not understand about the brand and why they are so special and instrumental to the legacy of sports divers today.

Here is a good starting point: http://paneraiworld.blogspot.com/2007/07/the-history-of-panerai.html?m=1

Registered
Always had Rolex until I got my Zero, then after that I was sold.

I love them because as Syn said they are a watch true to their heritage (Bit if a slip with the Due) and a watch that is unique from across the room.

Add to that the history and the enthusiasm of the Paneristi which is infectious.

Plus simple beauty.

image.jpg

Marmite watch for sure!! Now where is the jar I fancy me some toast!!

Registered
Horses for courses we all like different things if it works for you go for it If it doesnt don鈥檛.

No one has the right to tell you what to buy or wear unless they are paying for it.

Mine says hello BDC0EB7B-00ED-4582-BB16-8E2BDB26EE40.jpeg

Registered
I happen to love Panerai's for their unique history and heritage among other things. They were used by the Italian Navy and their famed Frogmen. They were known to be tough dependable pieces that could stand up to the rigors of amphibian type warfare. I also adore the unique look of the crown guards on the Luminors. The watches just have so much more presence than most other pieces. I almost always get compliments on my PAM 111 where my other pieces are hardly noticed. I realize thats anecdotal but theres something to be said about the way a Panerai sits on your wrist than almost any other watch.

Adjustments.jpg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts