WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often read hate about other brands for having a quartz model e.g. Maurice lacroix, but why does AP get to be in the holy Trinity with their best selling watch being identical looking to a quartz version?

What if ALS had a quartz? What if patek or vacheron had quartz versions of their main watches?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Doesn’t every major brand have a quartz line? I don’t think people dislike ML because they have quartz models. It’s other reasons.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
There is no criteria stating "no quartz" to be in the trinity or to be taken as a high end brand.

·
Registered
495 Posts
There is no criteria stating "no quartz" to be in the trinity or to be taken as a high end brand.
Correct. Just like with mechanical movements, there is also a big difference between high end and cheap quartz movements. Also, if not for quartz, some of these brands may not still be here!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Both PP and VC have quartz watches in their catalogue too, it’s not just an AP thing. Patek has Aquanauts, Nautilus and rectangular ladies’ watches with quartz movement in their current lineup. VC has traditional and Malte models in quartz, and used to offer the first generation overseas in quartz too.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
I don't believe Nomos has any quartz either, but the point is, it's quite rare, especially brands that make jewelry-quality ladies' watches. On size alone, sometimes you want quartz.

I'm not sure if I've seen Lacroix dinged for quartz...but that doesn't mean all that much as I don't see many comments about them anyway, and certainly, aside from certain particular fora, we're not focused on quartz here. Most blogs aren't either.

That said: Lacroix has MORE quartz than autos...89 autos, 100 quartz. They only say "quartz movement" so...are we talking a cheapo Ronda 500 or something like an ETA Flatline? Lacroix's also been suffering from excessive discounting, I believe. So, I think it's more about other aspects of the brand...Hamilton doesn't catch any BS for their quartz models, for example.

·
Registered
495 Posts
fun fact: Oris, only makes mechanical/automatic watches :) No quartz in their line-up.
I didn't realize that but you're right! Oris is my go to brands to friends that think massive amounts of cash are needed for a respectable watch. I think any on Jomashop at the grey market price is a good value on a watch with integrity. By integrity I mean like Timex has integrity by not trying to be something that it is not - and Swatch. Hublot is my 'go to' example of the antithesis in that you spend PP Nautilus money for Oris quality and ETA movements just for the designer.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I often read hate about other brands for having a quartz model e.g. Maurice lacroix, but why does AP get to be in the holy Trinity with their best selling watch being identical looking to a quartz version?

What if ALS had a quartz? What if patek or vacheron had quartz versions of their main watches?
I can't say I've seen the sort of 'hate' you've described. But, it's probably best for you to practice ignoring morons. So, start here: you were probably reading the opinion of a moron.

A watch is more than the mechanism which powers it.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Seiko, and their Grand Seiko line, proudly embace their quartz movements.

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both PP and VC have quartz watches in their catalogue too, it’s not just an AP thing. Patek has Aquanauts, Nautilus and rectangular ladies’ watches with quartz movement in their current lineup. VC has traditional and Malte models in quartz, and used to offer the first generation overseas in quartz too.
I was mainly referring to men's watches, but yes I do remember seeing videos about the overseas in quartz and yes it did catch some flak for it.

So it doesn't bother anyone that there is a cheaper albeit 11k cost version of the ap royal oak that looks the same but doesn't say "automatic" on it?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I was mainly referring to men's watches, but yes I do remember seeing videos about the overseas in quartz and yes it did catch some flak for it.

So it doesn't bother anyone that there is a cheaper albeit 11k cost version of the ap royal oak that looks the same but doesn't say "automatic" on it?
The newline is 20K and doesn't say Automatic on it.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
No. Not even a little bit. Please tell me why it should bother me.

Am I supposed to be annoyed that someone joined my club at a discounted rate? Is this person some sort of imposter for buying a quartz watch? Does his decision impact me in *any* way? Is the idea that he might tell someone it is a quartz movement and then later they'll see your watch and assume you wear quartz too (gasp!)?

Honestly, please explain.

·
Registered
101 Posts
One of the CS associates at NY RSC had an AP on. She told me Rolex let's her wear it to work bc it's quartz.

·
Registered
229 Posts
In the AP section of one of the other forums, there is a sticky message warning would-be buyers of AP quartz because the movement needs to be removed to replace the battery. You can imagine a $400 AP factory service battery change with a 1 month lead time unless you're lucky to have a competent watchmaker nearby.

And how about the F.P. Journe Elegante line? Is this so lambasted? Is it crass to put an exhibition caseback on a quartz?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't think having a quartz product really devalues anything given just about everyone did it a while ago. What should devalue AP though is the ROO...so hideous lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts