WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1241 - 1260 of 1345 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Keke Rosberg, Finnish F1 World Champion 1982 with his Mercedes 500 SEC and Ebel 1911 chrono.

This was his racecar in the German DTM series. Ebel was a sponsor.

As it happens, I know the guy who designed the Williams F1 car and managed it during races in 1982, when Rosberg won the F1 World Championship. He has an Ebel Chronograph that Keke gave to him, engraved “To Frank, from Keke, thanks for 1982”.

He’s a fellow audio buff.

Rick “some engraving adds value” Denney

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
I owned a 1911 chrono once, very well made, and I always found them to be very elegant watches. Shame about the proprietary strap system that prevents you from easily putting a strap other than the OEM one it came with.

I think the death knell for their mechanical watches started when Movado purchased them from LVMH for $47 million in 2004.

Thanks.

View attachment 15863714 View attachment 15863715 View attachment 15863717 View attachment 15863719
Nice collection, every one of which was designed and produced under MGI ownership.

What specifically do you think MGI did wrong?

Rick “who has his own ideas” Denney

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Nice collection, every one of which was designed and produced under MGI ownership.

What specifically do you think MGI did wrong?

Rick “who has his own ideas” Denney
I think it was death-by-neglect, Movado positioning Concord above Ebel, then focusing on ladies watches more and slowly winding down mechanical watch production. Maybe they saved money that way.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
It’s not that they didn’t give it a real go. The 2007 catalog is as good as the best of the industry in terms of production and products. All of that was a huge cash infusion from MGI, at Gerry Grinberg’s direction. But the styling is polarizing. The company that pushed them into ladies watches was LVMH (who lost their shirts on Ebel), and Investcorp was the master of neglect. MGI at least really tried something.

I think MGI gave up on marketing at that price point about 2010, and started easing out of that position. I wonder, without any data at all, if Gerry Grinberg’s illness and passing left Ebel without their chief supporter. Efraim seems a strong businessman, but he seems to me more corporate.

MGI positioned Ebel above Concord until they let Vincent Perriard pursue the C1 rebranding. Now, both brands are downmarket and priced similarly.

I’m not sure MGI knows how to support a higher-end US dealer network, but then lots of brands have struggled with that. They are brilliant with Movado, but Ebel (and Concord) needed something different. I just don’t know what. They have done poorly with social media. As much as I have supported and written about the brand, for example, I might as well be invisible to the MGI brass. I couldn’t even arrange a tour of the Villa Turque during a visit to Switzerland half a dozen years ago.

But I love the watches and have been totally spoiled by their quality and uniqueness for what I paid.

Rick “no regrets” Denney

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,811 Posts
I’m not sure MGI knows how to support a higher-end US dealer network, but then lots of brands have struggled with that. They are brilliant with Movado, but Ebel (and Concord) needed something different. I just don’t know what.
I feel like Movado's still riding on Horwitt's coattails (from the grave) with the Museum watch, which is all that non-WISes seem to recognize as "Movado". It stands out from anything that Seiko/Citizen/Michele/Tissot/etc offers.

But yeah, it's disappointing that I've never seen Concord or Ebel in all the same spaces as I've seen Movado. Not Macy's, not Zales, not nuthin'. I don't think I've seen Concord or Ebel anywhere locally besides the Leesburg outlet mall. I don't know the retailer-to-brand relationship so I can't guess about any reasons why.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Late change. Discovery diver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Morning. BTR.

Afternoon. Discovery

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey guys. Here on WUS, aside from discussing the well known brands most of the time the forum sometimes also talks about names like Invicta, Orient, Movado, and other less loved brands. But one brand that is very rarely or almost never discussed is Ebel.

Is there any reason for that. Do we have any users who wear Ebel at all?

And just generally what is the forum's view of Ebel? Not looking to buy one just asking curiously.
Tough to feign interest in a brand I've never heard of. Not every brand is well known.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Watching Miami Vice. This is from season 4. Obviously Crockett wears the same sports classic watch but with newer style bracelet, huh?

Edit: Might be the same model as Charlie's watch above... but just in full gold. Very nice. I wish it was at least 41mm... could wear a bit small on a bigger man's wrist.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
What’s his buddy wearing, a Beluga? If so, good on him. I know that rounded forms were more accepted at the time, so it may have been a less radical stylistic choice than it would be now, but still, it takes a certain panache to pull off.

Incidentally I was looking over some old Bertolucci timepieces online. I see some stronger Ebel influences here, probably of the same vintage. The chronometer versions appear to be Bertolucci’s high end, though I think they are just 2892s and 7750s.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
BTR GMT

·
Registered
527 Posts
Watching Miami Vice. This is from season 4. Obviously Crockett wears the same sports classic watch but with newer style bracelet, huh?
Watching MV again as well. The "1911 style" bracelet appears first in Season 3 Episode 18 "Lend me an Ear" (USA Air date 27 February 1987).
When Sonny (Don Johnson) is at the desk and in Marty's (Edward James Olmos) office. But for most of the Episode he can be seen wearing the older "Wave style" bracelet, though. I guess they must've filmed the Office scenes later.

mv1.jpg

Could be the older "screw nut" shaped crown. 60%...

What’s his buddy wearing, a Beluga? If so, good on him. I know that rounded forms were more accepted at the time, so it may have been a less radical stylistic choice than it would be now, but still, it takes a certain panache to pull off.
It's tough to go full gold, in Philip Michael Thomas's case - he pulls it off, I think.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Watching MV again as well. The "1911 style" bracelet appears first in Season 3 Episode 18 "Lend me an Ear" (USA Air date 27 February 1987).
When Sonny (Don Johnson) is at the desk and in Marty's (Edward James Olmos) office. But for most of the Episode he can be seen wearing the older "Wave style" bracelet, though. I guess they must've filmed the Office scenes later.

View attachment 15869595

View attachment 15869596

Could be the older "screw nut" shaped crown. 60%...
View attachment 15869598

It's tough to go full gold, in Philip Michael Thomas's case - he pulls it off, I think.

Charlie
Yeah. Maybe it's the same watch and he just broke the bracelet and Ebel replaced it with a new one, huh? I actually prefer the "BTR-style" bracelet myself, although the wave is the classic one.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts

Incidentally I was looking over some old Bertolucci timepieces online. I see some stronger Ebel influences here, probably of the same vintage. The chronometer versions appear to be Bertolucci’s high end, though I think they are just 2892s and 7750s.

Tubbs is wearing a Beluga Lichine, which was 36mm.

Rick “yes, too fem even for younger women these days” Denney

Reactions: Charlie1888
1241 - 1260 of 1345 Posts