WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1261 - 1280 of 1345 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
Yeah. Maybe it's the same watch and he just broke the bracelet and Ebel replaced it with a new one, huh? I actually prefer the "BTR-style" bracelet myself, although the wave is the classic one.
The BTR bracelet is just an update of the bracelet on Crockett’s watch, which is a standard 1911 bracelet. That bracelet was introduced with the 1911 line in 1986, the 75th anniversary of Ebel. All chronographs had the 1911 bracelet (if they had a bracelet) after that time.

Ebel placed these products and provided new ones every year.

Rick “not a service replacement” Denney

Reactions: JP.

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
Watching MV again as well. The "1911 style" bracelet appears first in Season 3 Episode 18 "Lend me an Ear" (USA Air date 27 February 1987).
When Sonny (Don Johnson) is at the desk and in Marty's (Edward James Olmos) office. But for most of the Episode he can be seen wearing the older "Wave style" bracelet, though. I guess they must've filmed the Office scenes later.

View attachment 15869595

View attachment 15869596

Could be the older "screw nut" shaped crown. 60%...
View attachment 15869598

It's tough to go full gold, in Philip Michael Thomas's case - he pulls it off, I think.

Charlie
I bet all the scenes were filmed in 1986, except maybe some reshoots needed during editing.

Rick “scene consistency not that important in those days” Denney

·
Registered
527 Posts
This might be the very model that Sonny wears in Miami Vice 4th and 5th seasons. Just with the square crown.

Almost, your picture from MV illustrates it better than mine:

Sonny's watch has the center links polished.

I bet all the scenes were filmed in 1986, except maybe some reshoots needed during editing.

Rick “scene consistency not that important in those days” Denney
Very likely. Ebel must've provided (and placed) their latest products at the time.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
How do you find the timekeeping on your new piece? I found my GP 3200 was +3 seconds per day after being serviced, but was problematic after only about three years.
So far, so good..but honestly, I haven't had it long enough to make a long term evaluation...hopefully, I'll have better luck than you did!!..
;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice thread!

Always liked Ebel very much since i got into watches. Love how charasteristic they look. I do think the lineup they have now is not as nice as some of the older watches ive seen in this thread but i see big potential of the brand. Too many brands looks just like other brands.

Their current lineup isnt that bad, there are many nice watches but i could see it be a bit better and even more Ebel. Their a bit too sharp and not as round and comfortable in design as they were in the past in my opinion.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Out of Ebel's current line-up the Discoverys and Sport Classics look good to me.

The question is what's it going to take, marketing-wise?
Paying skinny pants "social media" hipster "influencer", or pompous thesaurus using "watch journalists" to push the product? I don't know.

Charlie

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,811 Posts
Out of Ebel's current line-up the Discoverys and Sport Classics look good to me.

The question is what's it going to take, marketing-wise?
Paying skinny pants "social media" hipster "influencer", or pompous thesaurus using "watch journalists" to push the product? I don't know.

Charlie
That'll probably do it. ABTW and 'Dinkee can sell charcoal to burnt trees, so they should be able to boost Ebel.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
An example of the new Discovery line up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
WWII70 and Thunder1, both beautiful examples of the current line-up!

Sorry I got carried away yesterday. Ebel's past product placement certainly worked on me.
From late Season 3 (Miami Vice):
mvwatch_1.jpg mvwatch_2.jpg mvwatch_3.jpg mvwatch_4.jpg

I'll post some Hans Gissinger ads later.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Aquatica diver LE for the evening

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
1911 BTR Cal 139 “skeleton”

Reactions: rxmar23

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Afternoon change to my new Discovery chrono.

1261 - 1280 of 1345 Posts