WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Banned
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this as been asked before, but I was woundering why Casio never makes automatic watches. If you think about it most of their watches are rated to at least 200m. I think they should do some of their models in a limited production in an automatic and make some watches water resistant to 300m. :think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think:

·
Registered
68 Posts
automatic = more moving parts, higher chances of it breaking...

why'd you want automatic when you have Tough Solar?

and the 200m thing is not really 200m, if not mistaken some diver brought a frogman all the way down 300+ metres on a record dive, can't really remember his name though...

200m is just a rating the manufacture is willing to subject it to, it does not really mean it can only take up to 200m...

i remember there was a thread which had a write-up on water resistance, can't remember where is it now though...

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
For the same reason why Omega does not make digitalm shock resistant watches... it's just not their game...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
For the same reason why Omega does not make digitalm shock resistant watches... it's just not their game...
I agree with this, although I'd love to see an automatic Oceanus one of these days. It would be interesting to see what Casio could do with an automatic movement if made in-house. But yes, they will probably just stick to quartz and doing it well :-!

·
Registered
392 Posts
The purpose of a watch is to keep accurate time. You cannot get more accurate than a quartz watch. A quartz watch is accurate to within 15 seconds/month. Add in waveceptor, and you're good to about .5secs/day at WORST on any day.

Automatic watches are good to about 15 seconds/DAY.

Casio is a tech company...I can't see them going backwards and moving towards an aesthetically pleasing line that is about 30 times less accurate than their line from 25 years ago.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
That's a good question, actually... :think:

The answer is historical, I guess. Casio is an electronics company that came to watchmaking late. Seiko, Citizen and Orient were long-established. To join them in the manufacture of mechanical movements, Casio would have had to start from scratch, or acquire movements from competitors.

It was also an era when quartz was king, so there would have been no reason for Casio to go down that route, even if they could have made it pay - which they probably couldn't.

At this point their role is fixed, I should think - number three to Citizen and Seiko, and exclusively quartz. They seem to be attempting to get into the higher profit sectors, but I'm really not sure how many people around the world are going to pay relatively big money for a Casio. It could take a generation before they're truly accepted as anything other than a low-cost brand.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nobody would buy a mechanical Casio. People who buy automatics buy them for brand prestige. For them, a watch is more a peice of jewelry than it is a timepiece. That's why people are willing to spend loads more money on swiss made mechanicals when japanese autos are just as accurate and reliable. Beyond the coolness of sweeping second hands and watching the gears work with skeletons and watches with crystal casebacks autos are not that great.

In my opinion, Solar Atomic > Quartz > Auto

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
People who buy automatics buy them for brand prestige. For them, a watch is more a peice of jewelry than it is a timepiece.
Too sweeping, I think. And plastic watches are jewellery too. ;-)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Casio producing auto's would be like Toyota producing luxury sport cars, they're not even in the same ballpark and you have to understand that before anything.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Simply that the market wouldn't want to pay for them...

...Casio has established their name in digitals and have made it very difficult to stray outside of that. You can see how they try to conceal the Casio name by calling their non-Japan higher end analogs 'Oceanus' purely because people associate Casio with cheap and plastic.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Ha they cant even use good lume paint on the analogs they have now . :-d :-d Like Tribe said just not there thing :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Too sweeping, I think. And plastic watches are jewellery too. ;-)

Yes, you're right. It was a bit of a sweeping statement. What I meant was people who only buy automatics and frown upon everything else as garbage. As far as plastic watches being jewelry.... I don't know. I've only been in the world of plastic watches for a few weeks so maybe in timeb-)

·
Registered
678 Posts
People buy automatic cos they hate changing batt. :-d

Even Tough solar will not last as long as an automatic. Have u seen those automatic seiko watch last for 30 yrs never go for service? Yes, it may not running very accurately but at least it still runs.

I just throw some of my quartz watch away rather than change a batt.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree with the sentiments above that people purchase mechanical watches for the prestige first and the novelty second. Mechanical watches are BIG money and people spend even bigger money on them to impress the neighbor and the boss. Beyond that it's cool to show your friend a skeleton back watch or a sweeping second hand because a lot of people have never seen such a thing.
As for Casio going into that business; I don't see it. Casio is a tech company, once we see a Rolex digital camera we will see a Casio mechanical watch. Also, people who buy Casio watches aren't doing so for the reasons above so there is no reason to make such a watch. While we here can talk for weeks about the merits of a Riseman vs a Pathfinder or a Frogman vs a Mudman these aren't topics that will impress Joe Seixpaque, like a mechanical watch will.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Some people buy some makes because of prestige, and those makers tend to make mechanical watches. That doesn't mean that mechanical watches are intrinsically prestigious, or that all purchases of mechanical watches are motivated by prestige.

There's nothing prestigious about my Seiko Spirit or my Certina. And there's a world of difference between a Seiko SKX007 and a Blancpain.

There are plenty of reasons for preferring mechanical watches over quartz watches - and vice versa. One isn't superior to the other, they just have different virtues.

In one respect though, mechanical watches do have a distinct advantage. For a while now it has seemed that makers have put more creative effort into the design of mechanical watches than quartz watches. From a purely aesthetic point of view, the most interesting and attractive watches being made today are mechanical. Naturally, there's some subjective opinion in that last remark, but if you were to count the 'oohs and aahs' on watch forums, I'd be pretty sure that the majority were applied to mechanical watches.

If I was going to chop down some trees, join the army or sail round the world, I'd take a quartz (with a fresh battery in the case of sailing round the world...). For most other uses, I would probably prefer a mechanical.

Prestige isn't the point, and neither is cost. A Seiko 5 has very little prestige and is cheaper than some G-Shocks. Dismissing either mechanical or quartz is to miss out on half of the world of watches.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Casio did make automatic watches at some time.

My dad had a mechanical automatic watch from Casio long time ago. It apparently wasn't a great item but was interesting for a little while. He didn't wear it for very long and as a child I remember playing with it because it sat on his desk at home rather than on his wrist.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Casio did make automatic watches at some time.

My dad had a mechanical automatic watch from Casio long time ago. It apparently wasn't a great item but was interesting for a little while. He didn't wear it for very long and as a child I remember playing with it because it sat on his desk at home rather than on his wrist.
If Casios made a fully mechanical watch I'm not aware of it. Love to know the model number of your Dads watch. Casio has made many analog models but they're quartz.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts