WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the Daytona's but I wish they were a little bigger. I know you can get the new explorer in a 42 but that's still fairly small compared to other watches. Why doesn't Rolex make anything bigger?

·
Registered
250 Posts
In my case it their way of telling me that if I want a watch to look bigger on my wrist I should loose some weight!
Seriously, I don't think they see themselves as a fashion brand

·
Registered
56 Posts
The sweet spot for sport watches is the 40-42 mm size. The larger watches are not destined for a long lifespan style-wise. The large watches will always have a presence but they are self-limiting in comfort and really not suitable for smaller wrists. 40-42 mm watches fit most men and can be worn for dress as well as sport. Rolex owns the premium side of that market and is the envy of almost every other manufacturer. They are not going to give that position up. The fact that so many of their previous designs have become classics attests to this. The very gradual shifting of sizes, always being on the conservative side, has allowed the brand to maintain timelessness. It helps classics like the SS Daytona grow in value. Older Rolex watches maintain a great resale value and the adherence to classic size and design helps build the brand. When a manufacturer builds brand as opposed to trying to be the flavor of the month, they develop a loyal following. A buyer feels safe, knowing that what he purchases, will be in style for years to come. I sound like a commercial but they are one smart company.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The sweet spot for sport watches is the 40-42 mm size. The larger watches are not destined for a long lifespan style-wise. The large watches will always have a presence but they are self-limiting in comfort and really not suitable for smaller wrists. 40-42 mm watches fit most men and can be worn for dress as well as sport. Rolex owns the premium side of that market and is the envy of almost every other manufacturer. They are not going to give that position up. The fact that so many of their previous designs have become classics attests to this. The very gradual shifting of sizes, always being on the conservative side, has allowed the brand to maintain timelessness. It helps classics like the SS Daytona grow in value. Older Rolex watches maintain a great resale value and the adherence to classic size and design helps build the brand. When a manufacturer builds brand as opposed to trying to be the flavor of the month, they develop a loyal following. A buyer feels safe, knowing that what he purchases, will be in style for years to come. I sound like a commercial but they are one smart company.
I agree completely. Good post!

·
Registered
711 Posts
There's nothing more to say. Good post. :-!

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Is the DSSD small?
No, it's 44mm not small by any means.

+1

It would seem that a company like Rolex would go where the money (and demand) is, and thus, define what size is "mainstream".
I wonder if this is why they developed the DSSD, money, demand, mainstream? Maybe they see the future in larger watches hence the DSSD. Is it the first in a line of larger watches from Rolex.

I don't know. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
No, it's 44mm not small by any means.

I wonder if this is why they developed the DSSD, money, demand, mainstream? Maybe they see the future in larger watches hence the DSSD. Is it the first in a line of larger watches from Rolex.

I don't know. What do you guys think?
They did not make the DSSD 44mm to appease the people that wanted larger cases. They made it that big because the case is guaranteed waterproof to 3900 meters and that is the size that was required, given the 3135 movement inside, to achieve that goal. It is was technical calculation not a fashion statement, like so many other watch makers.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Fair comment and agreed but I would ask who are they really catering to at the moment the guys that are diving to 3900m (tongue in cheek) not many or the people out there that want bigger watches. IMO the majority are buying for the look not because of the 3900m. If only divers that dived to 3900m bought this watch the no. sold would be small. This is appealing to the market at the moment, the bigger watch syndrome. Don't get me wrong, I love it, just posing the question.

Also, I'll apologise up front for any bad english or misunderstanding in my tone it's half ten at night here in Oz and I've had a couple of beers. Hic!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I really like the Daytona's but I wish they were a little bigger. I know you can get the new explorer in a 42 but that's still fairly small compared to other watches. Why doesn't Rolex make anything bigger?
At 36mm (men's small datejust) to 44mm (Sea Dweller Deep Sea), with the vast majority of Rolex men's models out there at 36mm-40mm for the past 50 years, I'd say Rolex has its markets figured out. According to watch industry reports, Rolex outsells every other single high-end Swiss brand by a country mile - Omega is number two. Now that Rolex is penetrating China markets even more deeply than before (in which a large wrist is, I think, 7" in diameter which is average size in North America and Europe), I doubt it will add anything beyond the upcoming 42mm Explorer II. Why should it? Rolex customers love 40mm which is why the Sub, GMT and Daytona sell so well. The new Datejust at 41mm and the new Explorer at 39mm bracket the 40mm sweet spot.

Tell you what, let's meet back here at the end of 2011 after the 42mm Explorer II is actually on peoples' wrists and try to figure out how well the somewhat larger-for-Rolex diameter is doing as far as WUS'ers are concerned.

For some reason, I never accidentally bounce my 16610 (or any other 40mm or smaller watch) off any door jambs. As soon as I put on a 42mm Planet Ocean or a 42mm IWC chrono, it's bump, smack, bang all the time. The larger diameter watches - which I can wear very comfortably - are also higher than my Sub, and that (more than the diameter) can be somewhat of a problem I think.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
What more is there to say? Good post!

cheers.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I have recently been in meetings where one guy had a huge U-boat on, and another guy had a watch that looked to be about 44mm (possibly an Omega). They didn't properly fit under their shirt cuffs, and to me looked odd.

In a recent thread on the Public Forum, someone suggested shortening their shirt sleeves on their watch hand to allow for bigger watches.

To me this is a good indication that many watches are too big.

My 40mm watches are perfect - wouldn't want them much bigger or smaller.

I love the new Exp II, but will seriously reconsider at 42mm - will wait and see.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Not everyone wears long sleeve shirts. So I am not sure if it is a good indicator.
Most Rolex models are very versatile in that they can be worn with almost anything and still look good. As a Rolex owner this versatility is important to me. I suspect it may be important to some others.

If bigger watches do not wear well with suits, then I think this is a limitation that will eventually impact the popularity of larger watches.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Most Rolex models are very versatile in that they can be worn with almost anything and still look good. As a Rolex owner this versatility is important to me. I suspect it may be important to some others.

If bigger watches do not wear well with suits, then I think this is a limitation that will eventually impact the popularity of larger watches.
I appreciate your comments, but please remember "if bigger watches do not wear well with suits" that's your opinion not a general acceptance. IMO some large watches look okay with suits and furthermore large watches have been around for a very long time so it is not a "popularity" event. As I said before, not everyone wears suits so don't assume because you don't wear a suit you won't wear a Rolex.

Your making a generalisation with regards to the world you live in.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Fair comment and agreed but I would ask who are they really catering to at the moment the guys that are diving to 3900m (tongue in cheek) not many or the people out there that want bigger watches. IMO the majority are buying for the look not because of the 3900m. If only divers that dived to 3900m bought this watch the no. sold would be small. This is appealing to the market at the moment, the bigger watch syndrome. Don't get me wrong, I love it, just posing the question.

Also, I'll apologise up front for any bad english or misunderstanding in my tone it's half ten at night here in Oz and I've had a couple of beers. Hic!
It's a fair question, but I really do not think it is a fashion move by Rolex. If it was they would have tried it on another model or several models.

If only divers that dove to 3900M bought this watch then sales would be zero, because nobody has been in the ocean deeper than about 500M. I think the DSSD was a technical statement by Rolex to say 'we can make a watch that is rated deeper than anyone else'. And to achieve that goal the technical engineering requirements, given the approach that they took, dictated that the watch be the 44mm size that it is. I believe that the appeal to the market for a larger watch was a secondary effect, which I also think is backfiring because the DSSD's are not selling well.

Whether it is the typical Rolex customer or the watch buying public in general I do not think the average buyer likes the larger size. They may be popular in Diving watches to some degree, but in general I do not think that the larger sizes are popular.

I am not sure what the average male wrist size is, but if the forum is an indicator I would have to guess about 7.25" / 18.42cm. Some may disagree (and that is fine with me) but, IMO if a guy is wearing a watch much past 42mm on a wrist smaller than 7" / 17.78cm it looks silly. Some of the wrist shots of guys with 6.5" / 16.51cm with 45mm watches on are just laughable; I think it looks like a kid trying on his Dad's watch.

·
Registered
677 Posts
In addition to everything else posted, the large watch demand is already more than met by supply. If you want a big chrono you have tons of options. If you want a new mechanical chrono under 40mm that is at least 100m water resistant, the Daytona is one of the very very few options. Why would Rolex leave this market that it dominates to move into into one that is probably already saturated?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.