WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Or maybe it have ? as an electronics engineer it seems that TCVCXO can gives decent results in a very low cost

Reference: https://www.watchuseek.com/f9/thermocompensation-methods-movements-2087.html
Very simple. Because accuracy does not sell watches.

Ordinary quartz is good enough. To provide accuracy as a specced feature, brands have to be prepared to develop dedicated service networks that currently do not exist for quartz watches. Otherwise, warranty claims cannot be processed. It's an expense that few brands want.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Other than even better accuracy, what would be the point. Simply increasing the frequency will effectively deliver better accuracy without the need for TC. Sure, it's require for COSC certification but that's mostly a vanity certification now. Besides, with RF time correction now readily available in a variety of watches, who would pay extra for TC?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Very few people care about the level of accuracy offered by HAQ watches. Scientists, engineers and OCD people are really the only market for these watches. Me, I'm OCD and proud of it!

IMG_1873 - Copy.JPG

·
Premium Member
71,174 Posts
Accuracy may have a good following among the members here but in the big wide world cost is king and thermo compensation costs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I care about accuracy but find quartz generally good enough. I bought my latest G shock 8 days ago and it's not a second out yet. On the other hand, my Tissot T-touch expert solar regularly loses around 10 seconds a month and it annoys me. I don't understand how some quartzes are different than others.

I've also got a radio controlled G-Shock which is accurate as it gets the signal. And I have a Bulova precisionist I never wear because I don't like its looks. I only bought it because its 262khz. It certainly seems to be accurate, more so than my other watches. My favourite watch is this Rado which has a chronograph, Timer, Alarm, day date etc. and looks good - it's only out by about 3 seconds a month. That's good enough to me. It would be good, though to find a watch that was under 10 seconds out in a year. Actually I think my Bulova probably is.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
...My favourite watch is this Rado which has a chronograph, Timer, Alarm, day date etc. and looks good - it's only out by about 3 seconds a month. That's good enough to me. It would be good, though to find a watch that was under 10 seconds out in a year...
I also like the ceramic bicolor Rado ana-digi chronograph and managed to modify mine by replacing the electronic module with a compatible ETA Thermoline with calibration therminal! It's accuracy is within 2 seconds/year:

Attachments

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Did you ever post how you did the module swap? If so I do not recall.
No, I've just mentioned recently that I have a modified Rado:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f9/***what-haq-watch-you-sporting-today-***-3742882-45.html#post48278337

The modification took place years ago:
- Step 1: I had purchased one of the last available Kriëger Marine Chronometer K6006.1.17 (K89.01/01 = ETA 988.352) HAQ digi-analog watch for the fraction of its retail price. I did not like the aesthetics of that watch but highly valued its ETA Thermoline movement.
- Step 2: I had an opportunity to purchase one of the last available Rado ceramic bicolor multifunction ana-digi watch again for the fraction of its retail price. Aesthetically it had been one of my favorites but I did not like its non-HAQ movement but I knew that the electronic module of my Kriëger should be compatible with the Rado's. The only risk I took was the fact that the casing of the Rado might not have room for the slightly thicker electronic panel of the Kriëger.
- Step 3: I called my watchmaker over the phone and he told me that it might not fit but we should give it a try...
- Step 4: I got lucky as the new electronic panel just fit perfectly in the case of the Rado.:-!
My watchmaker just swapped the electronic panels but I required him not to put battery into the modified (deHAQd) Kriëger as I did not intend to wear that one though I had to keep it just in case something might happen to the movement of the modified Rado so I can legitimately expect a replacement movement from Kriëger or ETA by sending back the faulty one as normally Thermoline movements cannot be purchased only exchanged by sending back the faulty one and a fee would be still applicable if out of the warranty period. Well, that is the story of my HAQ Rado that probably is the only one available...b-)

Added info: My total cost (purchasing the Kriëger and the Rado and paying for the service of my watchmaker) was probably still less than paying full retail price for the Rado alone... That is not cheap but not too expensive either for a unique timepiece that is custom-made therefore one and only.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,774 Posts
No, I've just mentioned recently that I have a modified Rado:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f9/***what-haq-watch-you-sporting-today-***-3742882-45.html#post48278337

The modification took place years ago:
- Step 1: I had purchased one of the last available Kriëger Marine Chronometer K6006.1.17 (K89.01/01 = ETA 988.352) HAQ digi-analog watch for the fraction of its retail price. I did not like the aesthetics of that watch but highly valued its ETA Thermoline movement.
- Step 2: I had an opportunity to purchase one of the last available Rado ceramic bicolor multifunction ana-digi watch again for the fraction of its retail price. Aesthetically it had been one of my favorites but I did not like its non-HAQ movement but I knew that the electronic module of my Kriëger should be compatible with the Rado's. The only risk I took was the fact that the casing of the Rado might not have room for the slightly thicker electronic panel of the Kriëger.
- Step 3: I called my watchmaker over the phone and he told me that it might not fit but we should give it a try...
- Step 4: I got lucky as the new electronic panel just fit perfectly in the case of the Rado.:-!
My watchmaker just swapped the electronic panels but I required him not to put battery into the modified (deHAQd) Kriëger as I did not intend to wear that one though I had to keep it just in case something might happen to the movement of the modified Rado so I can legitimately expect a replacement movement from Kriëger or ETA by sending back the faulty one as normally Thermoline movements cannot be purchased only exchanged by sending back the faulty one and a fee would be still applicable if out of the warranty period. Well, that is the story of my HAQ Rado that probably is the only one available...b-)

Added info: My total cost (purchasing the Kriëger and the Rado and paying for the service of my watchmaker) was probably still less than paying full retail price for the Rado alone... That is not cheap but not too expensive either for a unique timepiece that is custom-made therefore one and only.
I wanted one of those Rados, but would not buy it with the ordinary movement.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
I wanted one of those Rados, but would not buy it with the ordinary movement.
Same here, that is why I first purchased the Kriëger... By the way, the Rado is the watch that earns me the most compliments from people who just see the watch as a piece of jewellery so it has to have something about its design that makes it favorable.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I also like the ceramic bicolor Rado ana-digi chronograph and managed to modify mine by replacing the electronic module with a compatible ETA Thermoline with calibration therminal! It's accuracy is within 2 seconds/year:
Very nice watch and so good to have 2 seconds in a year accuracy.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Same here, that is why I first purchased the Kriëger... By the way, the Rado is the watch that earns me the most compliments from people who just see the watch as a piece of jewellery so it has to have something about its design that makes it favorable.
Yes, only my Rado gets the occasional comment. I think this is because they resemble pieces of jewellery more than most other watches.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well done on refurbishing your Rado - it looks almost as good as mine :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts