WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ebay lot no 121156543433

This 145.012 321 calibre speedmaster popped up on eBay and has just closed. I didn't comment before because I had bid on it, and I think it would have been incorrect to say anything while the listing is active.

So someone has paid $2400. Is it worth it? My instinct said it was terribly over priced. Lacking a bezel, and fitted with a refinished dial, and showing signs of wear and tear. Here it is as shown in eBay:

image.jpg

Lets look at it, bearing in mind that a search for sold 145.012's in the last fifteen days shows two watches sold, for 4500 and 4200. Here they are, not great examples of the reference.
image.jpg image.jpg

This also seems high to me so I also looked at all the 145.012's during last two years where I am certain of the price paid, and the average over 7 watches was $3300. Two years ago watchco in Australia sold some NOS cased 145.0012's for $2300. These had new dials and working (not serviced) 321 movements.

Back to the orgional watch,
It will need a service, 350/650
a dial, 150 NOS or 500 vintage,
a bezel 100/400.

So conceivably the new owner can have a serviced correct watch for 3950 or with NOS parts and a dodgy service for $3000. Oh, and he will need a strap. And the case will still be tired. The trouble is finding the vintage parts has in the last 12 months become very difficult.

A watch like this for me is a watch to work on to produce a wearable watch. This one will never be a fine example, so never be a valuable watch. The case shows heavy wear and the caseback has opening marks that make me wonder what the gorilla who opened it did to the movement. We know he changed the dial for a hideous redial. What other horrors lurk?

So for a price I would have had it. But not this price.

I might have been wrong!

Certainly I wish the buyer all the best with it, and if one of us, share what happened.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I thought the case looked O'K. The dial is hideous at best. I've got a couple of nice dials and a nice dot over 90 bezel that I would have put on it and had a nice looking 145.012.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts