WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello watchuseek,
after weeks of doing research on which watch to buy I finally decided to get a G-Shock GW-M5610U. It arrived today and it is almost perfect. Were it not for the ugly uneven LED backlight this could have been my dream watch. I am really trying to love the watch but every time I press the LED button I am being disappointed. I am not yet sure how to deal with it.

My watch research journey went something like this:
Somehow I wanted to get a watch although I don't need one. And I also did and do not understand why I want one. At first I wanted to get a mechanical watch and read articles on "best mechanical watch". And after a few weeks I stumbled upon a g-shock watch by accident and it reminded me of how I really wanted to own a yellow g-shock watch when I was a teenager but I could not afford one at that time. And that urge to get colorful g-shock watch reemerged and I decided to fulfill my childhood dream instead of getting a sophisticated mechanical watch for adults.
I also liked the idea of getting a g-shock with solar and atomic functions so it would run forever and always have the correct time. But all the colorful g-shocks do not have those functions. There are some nice metal ones but I wanted to get a plastic one. Then I found out that you can buy orange, yellow and turquoise bezels and armbands on ebay for the GW-M5610 which is exactly what I was looking for and I ordered the watch immediately. It was awesome and everything I had hoped for.
The only two things I was not excited about were the US date (MM/DD) and the english weekdays because I am German. But I said to myself I will get used to them. And then one day later I read an article about the updated GW-M5610U version which tackled exactly those problems and I returned the first watch and ordered the U-version. Today it arrived and the new functions like German date and weekdays are awesome but the backlight bleeding on the left really is a shock I have to get used to. The green backlight of the old version looked retro-cool and it evenly lit the display. I liked it much better and never thought about it when using it.

Well, from what I have read Casio is listening to its customers and I expect in 2031 they will release an updated version with an even backlight. And my number 1 request would be the ability to set alarms per specific weekday because I have to get up on different times per weekday. Then the g-shock could replace my iphone as an alarm clock.

Kind regards
Daniel

Watch Rectangle Clock Gadget Temperature

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know if it's the camera exposure settings you guys are using or if maybe I just got lucky with mine, but the backlight isn't half as bad as I've seen in the vast majority of pictures that bring this topic up. The left hand side is brighter, I'm not denying that, but it's much more subtle than most of the pictures I've seen. If it actually looked that bad I'd probably agree as well, but right now I still prefer having the light stay on for 3 seconds.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah that’s pretty noticeable, too bad. I liked a lot of what I read about the U version but that does seem like a bummer.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't know if it's the camera exposure settings you guys are using or if maybe I just got lucky with mine, but the backlight isn't half as bad as I've seen in the vast majority of pictures that bring this topic up. The left hand side is brighter, I'm not denying that, but it's much more subtle than most of the pictures I've seen. If it actually looked that bad I'd probably agree as well, but right now I still prefer having the light stay on for 3 seconds.
I second this. My GW5000U clearly has the light on the left of the screen but it's generally not noticable but just is. It's not distracting or even that off by much. Most Casio's are like this, Pro-Treks to G's to Lineage etc. Not all of course.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I decided to take a few pictures of my own GW-5000U -- these, to me, are representative of what the backlight actually looks like IRL. I did not edit these in any way, and on my laptop's screen they look about the same as the actual backlight does on my watch. Maybe I'm just lucky with the one I got, but I kind of suspect some of the other pictures floating around were just purposefully crap to exaggerate a point.

Watch Hand Finger Clock Rectangle

Watch Rectangle Clock Finger Wrist
Rectangle Font Circle Automotive exterior Symbol

·
Registered
86 Posts
I will always prefer EL even compared to the best and most even LEDs. Some people prefer LEDs and Casio is moving away from using EL in anything but the cheapest and most basic models. The future looks bleak for those of us that prefer EL.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
EL rules!!

Reactions: A.G. and Rocat

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hello watchuseek,
after weeks of doing research on which watch to buy I finally decided to get a G-Shock GW-M5610U. It arrived today and it is almost perfect. Were it not for the ugly uneven LED backlight this could have been my dream watch. I am really trying to love the watch but every time I press the LED button I am being disappointed. I am not yet sure how to deal with it.

Somehow I wanted to get a watch although I don't need one. And I also did and do not understand why I want one. At first I wanted to get a mechanical watch and read articles on "best mechanical watch". And after a few weeks I stumbled upon a g-shock watch by accident and it reminded me of how I really wanted to own a yellow g-shock watch when I was a teenager but I could not afford one at that time. And that urge to get colorful g-shock watch reemerged and I decided to fulfill my childhood dream instead of getting a sophisticated mechanical watch for adults.
I also liked the idea of getting a g-shock with solar and atomic functions so it would run forever and always have the correct time. But all the colorful g-shocks do not have those functions. There are some nice metal ones but I wanted to get a plastic one. Then I found out that you can buy orange, yellow and turquoise bezels and armbands on ebay for the GW-M5610 which is exactly what I was looking for and I ordered the watch immediately. It was awesome and everything I had hoped for.
The only two things I was not excited about were the US date (MM/DD) and the english weekdays because I am German. But I said to myself I will get used to them. And then one day later I read an article about the updated GW-M5610U version which tackled exactly those problems and I returned the first watch and ordered the U-version. Today it arrived and the new functions like German date and weekdays are awesome but the backlight bleeding on the left really is a shock I have to get used to. The green backlight of the old version looked retro-cool and it evenly lit the display. I liked it much better and never thought about it when using it.

Well, from what I have read Casio is listening to its customers and I expect in 2031 they will release an updated version with an even backlight. And my number 1 request would be the ability to set alarms per specific weekday because I have to get up on different times per weekday. Then the g-shock could replace my iphone as an alarm clock.

Kind regards
Daniel

View attachment 16115531
As @D. A. (Tony) Vader said, if the inconsistent backlight is bugging you, you should really check out the GW-B5600 series or (even better) the GMW-B5000 series. The "fade in-fade out" backlight on both of those models is pretty sweet, and if you can accept the higher weight and price of the GMW-B5000 the bigger buttons are AMAZING!

Wear your watches in good health, and STAY HEALTHY!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also wanted the GW-M5610U, but as an upgrade to my GW-M5610 that I had been using as a daily beater for three years. I almost ordered it but luckily checked the older Bluetooth models also - and realised they had a similar module with all the added functionality I wanted. (at the time I didn't care about the Bluetooth and thought I wouldn't use it)

When I also discovered they were cheaper and easier to find than the new U models - and had a fade in/fade out backlight with longer duration (4 s) - it became an easy decision.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In my experience I very rarely use the back-light.
I mainly use the backlight because I like to look at it. EL is nicer for me to look at which is why I prefer it. Rarely do I actually use the backlight because I need it.

·
Registered
12,714 Posts
I decided to take a few pictures of my own GW-5000U -- these, to me, are representative of what the backlight actually looks like IRL. I did not edit these in any way, and on my laptop's screen they look about the same as the actual backlight does on my watch. Maybe I'm just lucky with the one I got, but I kind of suspect some of the other pictures floating around were just purposefully crap to exaggerate a point.

View attachment 16115725

Thats what mine looks like too. Far less offensive than some other pics I have seen complaining about teh lighhting

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier - Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
2,162 Posts
Hello watchuseek,

Kind regards
Daniel

View attachment 16115531
If you somehow read this, there were actually 2 yellow atomic squares that Casio released.

GW-M5600A-9 (discontinued)

Watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory Gadget

GW-M5630E (30th anniversary limited edition)

Watch Rectangle Analog watch Watch accessory Clock

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 5000U definitely bleeds lights on the left side. It is "retro" in the worst way. Especially when I was holding out hope it would just light up like the dial on my GMW-B5000. I'll be keeping it, but it is certainly a disappointment. Casio should have worked it out, or just not bothered. Meh.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts