WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here to the forum. This watch is a good size at 39mm plus I really have a thing for crown guards.
At the moment I also prefer to wear it with a leather strap vs. the metal SS bracelet. I have 3 of these leather straps in black, brown and gray. Currently using the gray since it is a lighter color for the warmer months.

rolex-1.JPG

:-db-)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow really it's gone and no replacement? Also as to your point "tool watch" this is really true. I wear it all the time when working in my yard and shop.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still getting up to speed on posting. I meant to say "good" replacement. But I don't see an Edit link?

:think:

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your thoughts on your 39 mm Explorer 2. Plus, the leather strap (grey?) gives your watch a more toolish look.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Nice looking watch, I’ve got the new botched up version;)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi- Watch is 2001 Cal. 3185 movement. The bracelet is probably good for hot weather but I like the lighter weight of the leather plus it looks beefier since the strap stays at 20mm all the way around the wrist. It's weird that I like this sub $20 dollar strap but it is well made.

:)

"Botched up version"?

I searched and found this image on the Rolex website but it doesn't have the extra hand or marked bezel. So why do they call it an Explorer?

new-explorer-rolex.jpg

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also (speaking of tool watches) here is the other watch that is on my wish list:
iwc.jpg

IWC Ingenieur Automatic IW323904

Again 40mm and only 10mm thick with crown guard.
I love this watch.

:-d:-d

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
The best modern "tool watch" in the Rolex line up, but sadly it is no more. They really botched it up with the new version IMHO.
Meh. Never bought into that whole "the older version was better". I have the 42mm Exp2 and it is a fantastic watch - the all-orange hand alone makes it better than the older one. And the size is just fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I liked my Explorer II but I ended up selling it. I felt that it was lacking that Rolex appearance. With that being said it definitely was one of the most comfortable watches I owned

·
Registered
293 Posts
The polar Explorer II has really been catching my eye recently. I've been eyeing up 16550s and 16570s! Your's looks great!

Reactions: sillo38

·
Registered
292 Posts
:-! Looking good there!

Welcome to the forum. I love the Explorer II, such a comfortable tool watch with great dimensions (for me).

Newbie here to the forum. This watch is a good size at 39mm plus I really have a thing for crown guards.
At the moment I also prefer to wear it with a leather strap vs. the metal SS bracelet. I have 3 of these leather straps in black, brown and gray. Currently using the gray since it is a lighter color for the warmer months.

View attachment 14247427

:-db-)

·
Premium Member
IWC chrono: Pilot or Porsche Design Titan
4,628 Posts
I had a black dial model in 2014 after I had a white dial and decided Polar was not for me. I bought a Rubber B strap for it and loved the look and how it wore.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've owned a Rolex Explorer 1655 but it got too valuable to wear in the yard, so i sold it (for a nice profit). I looked at the Explorer II and considered it. I actually do like the new Explorer (with orange hand), however, I don't like the 42mm case size. It seems Rolex has bumped up all of the tool watches to 42mm (except the 40mm Sea-Dweller).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Meh. Never bought into that whole "the older version was better". I have the 42mm Exp2 and it is a fantastic watch - the all-orange hand alone makes it better than the older one. And the size is just fine.
Agreed, i prefer the larger size over the older version. Both the fit and the appearance of the 42mm case/dial. The throwback gmt hand sold it for me as well. Much more tapered lugs than the subC also fits much flatter. Love the polar exp ii

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts