WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Casio I'd hip and cool while Timex is becoming dated.

• Agree

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Disagree

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Neither agree no disagree

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Partially agree

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, first off full disclaimer I'm partial to both but the the only reason I have ANY reason in ANY watches is thanks to Casio. You could even label me a Casio enthusiast and you wouldn't be off by much.

Furthermore, I've owned several of both brands and I do follow relevant news stories to an extent w/ both companies.

Anyhow, looking at Casio. This is a company that's known for its cheap digital watches, that are durable. Plus a few others, the Casio Forester being a common favorite of the regular populace. Timex is known in a similar vein (Expedition, Weekender, etc.).

Yet, after that..... Casio has a genuine following. Its competitive under its own name under multiple price points. Its constantly innovating and leading the industry in some manner (at the moment bluetooth). Timex is still selling the products of yesteryear and it's current day versions of the Marlin incorporate Chinese movements. Timex feels cheap, if not in person than from afar. Looking at their products, their built as cheaply as possibly. You get the sense Ceteris Paribus is a common saying around Timex HQ. Timex has lost massive amounts of market share in the United States. Profit margins are subpar compared with yester year.

Meanwhile, Casio is putting out new Original products, then offering new strap combos (unlike Timex and their infinite strap game).

After that rambling, Casio products feel solid in its entirety across their lowest offerings. Timex has a loud tick, batteries that die quickly, chrono functions that feel cheap, the list goes on.

Timex is Sears (or perhaps JC Penny) and Casio is like Target.

Casio is hip and cool. Timex could up its game.

These are my random ramblings late at night as I fend off sleep but tell me I don't have a point ;-)

Reactions: Davidka

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Re: Why I respect a cheap Casio & feel Timex is a mishap away from becoming the Sears of wrist wear.

Timex is improving, but have a long way to go in the robustness department to catch up to Casio.

Timex has Indiglo
Casio has Tough Solar, as Timex gave up on solar watches years ago (I have old Timex solars)

As a Huge Casio fan, don’t count Timex out. They occupy different markets.

Gorgeous knurled cases

My favorite Waterbury

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Why I respect a cheap Casio & feel Timex is a mishap away from becoming the Sears of wrist wear.

Timex is improving, but have a long way to go in the robustness department to catch up to Casio.

Timex has Indiglo
Casio has Tough Solar, as Timex gave up on solar watches years ago (I have old Timex solars)
I'll admit relating Timex to Sears is a tad too much. But the comparison with Casio isn't a complete loss. Casio simply innovates, has an R and D department..... Casio cares.

Timex is meh. Sears was meh after Lampert bought them. Sears is now becoming a memory.

Timex has its place but if it wants to up its game and fight to retain market share it could learn FROM Casio. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

Interesting that Timex has new models of Shock watches out now with loud alarms and Indiglo.....But No Solar, No Atomic and still have those crap bands that crack and break from Sun Rot after a few years.

I have several older Solar Timex (not made anymore) that have the crap bands too. Funny to make a Solar watch with bands that cannot handle UV longterm. The lugs are proprietary and will not fit any normal band, so once the original breaks, SOL.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

Also Timex is releasing new automatics, a take on their old watches from the 1960s.

Casio has never done a non-quartz.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

And Timex knows how to have fun

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well, it is what it is.

Would the IronMan mark be the Lands End, Die Hard, or Craftsman of the Timex brand. Does it have value sans Timex?

Uh, just to be clear @YankeeExpress I see value in Timex, I just feel Casio is better run and Timex is poorly run. Casio continuesto build it's base. Timex struggles to maintain market share and realistically should consider fashion brand styling.

As with Sears most of us want Timex to succeed.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

And Indiglo is terrific

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

Casio are better watches than Timex, no doubt, but they are in different markets.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

Kudos to Timex for venturing back into mechanicals, Casio never has.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

Kudos to Timex for venturing back into mechanicals, Casio never has.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Also Timex is releasing new automatics, a take on their old watches from the 1960s.

Casio has never done a non-quartz.

Timex has good offering and it does know how to have fun.

Dont take this the wrong way but I'm no fan of the Timex marlin and its Chinese movement. I've spoken of this before but it Timex brought it's old movements back and sold them at an affordable price point.... I'd be very interested.

But this Marlin right now is cash grab and nothing else. A corporate move.

Reactions: Phreddo

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

Be careful of comparing to failing Sears and then criticizing them for being successful cash grabbers.

For Timex to survive they need to make a profit.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts

My latest beef with Timex was releasing the Bayman model and selling out before I could get one! I am severely dissappointed. I want a Bayman.

Note the CDT bezel.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Be careful of comparing to failing Sears and then criticizing them for being successful cash grabbers.

For Timex to survive they need to make a profit.
Sears was run to maximize profits and did not invest in their stores or brands when Eddie Lampert bought them. Timex has not invested in its movements in a long time. Past that they made an attempt with Intelligent Quartz and failed to properly grow it. Now its rehashing one offs and selling to Timex enthusiasts.

If the Casio corporate board took charge of Timex. I guarantee it would become more successfull.... if Timex took charge of Casio... ouch

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

My latest beef with Timex was releasing the Bayman model and selling out before I could get one! I am severely dissappointed. I want a Bayman.

Note the CDT bezel.

A the neutered hour hand. A personal pet peeve of mine. Why they'd do it, I have no idea.

That said why did it take so long for Timex to sell Divers? Why arent they offered in mass st retail stores on the cheap?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts

Ok i like Casio. Not die hard fan but a lot or respect and desire for certain models and for inventions they bring.
Timex is where it becomes slippery. As Casio they are cheap company, but in a different way.
for obvious reasons Timex and Casio do not compete directly. It suicide in their profits margin bracket.
Timex pushes 1000s of different designs with same internals and Casio 1000 of different watches.
I like Timex digitals in Ironman line. They did produced one of the best runner watches around. It is good watch and i will recommend it without looking back for second thoughts.
Some analog models are nice. Quality is a concern to me and i have not seen anything special in Shock models like you see in G-Shock, just extra bumper on outside.
Now Timex gains in higher price points with retro designs and same internals. It become less value and more fashion watch. For most parts i will pay extra 20-50$ over Timex and get higher quality Seiko or Citizen and Casio with more tech inside.
At certain time in past 2 decades Timex was producing interesting and innovative watches, but now it's different.
When been given choice, i choose Fossil over Timex.
Companies are as different as it goes. But Casio is where my respect is.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts

A the neutered hour hand. A personal pet peeve of mine. Why they'd do it, I have no idea.

That said why did it take so long for Timex to sell Divers? Why arent they offered in mass st retail stores on the cheap?
They used to have real divers but this just looks.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

Indiglo is absolutely stunning especially on analog watches.

I believe people who buy Timex digital watches may use them as long as the battery last and (by that time the watch may be scratched) they just buy a new one.

So I believe while Casio may have strong collector business, Timex may have strong returning customer re-purchase business. Timex (at least on our area) is plentiful and easy to buy.

·
Premium Member
8,257 Posts

In reading that thread title, OP, I didn't know if I could expect a standard thread - or a master's thesis??!!! :-d:-d:-d

My experience: in my pre-Casio days (yes, there were some!), what I would do is buy a Timex Ironman or similar Timex, wear it until the strap broke, then either replace the strap or get a new Timex.

BUT - once I got into Casios, my interest in Timex flew out the window. (didn't they have a commercial once about "time flying" with a clock flying out a window??? :think::-d)

Admittedly I normally wear watches much more expensive than any Timex I ever had. But even if I wear a cheap digital watch, it will be a Casio. I did buy one Timex a couple years back - and never wear it.

Casio has killed Timex for me. ;-)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts