WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a Tag for just under $1000.00 fifteen years ago. Sent it to Tag a month ago to have the battery replaced. TAG's response: they can not change the battery ~ they don't have the seals; so TAG essentially rendered my watch a usless piece of junk! After I telephoned the President of TAG here in the US, I was offered a chance an to purchase a new watch at 50% of the suggested retail price. I find this offer unacceptable. What TAG suggested as a resoultion for the battery change is, I spend another $1000 dollars and TAG will at no cost whatsoever to their company will sell me a new watch. To keep a loyal customer base, Tag should continue to change the battery on every expensive watch they sell or offer a replacement at no cost or a very minimal charge to the consumer. :-| :-s

·
Premium Member
5,730 Posts
Purchased a Tag for just under $1000.00 fifteen years ago. Sent it to Tag a month ago to have the battery replaced. TAG's response: they can not change the battery ~ they don't have the seals; so TAG essentially rendered my watch a usless piece of junk! After I telephoned the President of TAG here in the US, I was offered a chance an to purchase a new watch at 50% of the suggested retail price. I find this offer unacceptable. What TAG suggested as a resoultion for the battery change is, I spend another $1000 dollars and TAG will at no cost whatsoever to their company will sell me a new watch. To keep a loyal customer base, Tag should continue to change the battery on every expensive watch they sell or offer a replacement at no cost or a very minimal charge to the consumer. :-| :-s
This is the exact reason, I swore to never own a quartz watch again. I had a Tag Formula 1 chrono and when the chronograph died, I sent it to Tag and was told the parts were no longer availabe.

They made me the same 50% offer but I took it. I then turned around and sold the watch on eBay and made pretty good on it. I took that money, put it towards my Sea-Dweller and never looked back.

The whole Tag experience left me with such a bad taste that for the longest time I swore I'd never buy a Tag again. I changed my mind once I became more educated about watches and realised that no matter who makes it, quartz watches are basically throw-away watches. It may take 20 or more so years for them to die but they will eventually will die.

I've now come back to Tag Heuer by purchasing the Super Professional and will likely buy an Aquagraph in the very near future. Of course they are both automatics as I still will never purchase a quartz watch ever again.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sorry about your luck Shane....all good things must come to an end...its unfortunate that this time it involved your watch. That is an unacceptable excuse from Tag in my mind as well. You might be able to contact Jack @ IWW (just google IWW Watch) to see if he can help or Kent Parks @ Everest Watchworks - these guys might be able to work their magic and restore the watch back to workin order for ya. Best of luck :-!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Did you check to see if the lack of replacement seals means the watch will still work for normal day to day use but you are limited to a lesser WR rating. I would guess they can replace the battery with no problem but your days of diving to 600ft is over.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is one of the reasons I believe collectors stay away from quartz. Another thing is got to do with Tag. It appears that they change their models quite frequently and therefore they no longer have or make the parts of discontinued models. This proves the downside of owning a brand that keeps changing the design as proven by your experience of just needing to change a seal that is no longer made; has nothing got to do with owning a quartz watch.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is one of the reasons I believe collectors stay away from quartz. Another thing is got to do with Tag. It appears that they change their models quite frequently and therefore they no longer have or make the parts of discontinued models. This proves the downside of owning a brand that keeps changing the design as proven by your experience of just needing to change a seal that is no longer made; has nothing got to do with owning a quartz watch.

I agree, you wouldn't have that problem with a Rolex as their watches haven't changed much over the years. I also agree that quartz watches are more "throw away" watches even though that doesn't stop me from buying them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why send it to Tag for battery replacement? I have my AD do the change and water test. My 6000 is only 6 years old.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Why can't you get new gaskets elsewhere? Does your watch use odd shaped gaskets?

Sorry for the dumb question would you post the model number so I can google it? I'm curious.

I once had a watch guy tell me that you can use the gooey gasket sealant to hold a gasket in place around slight turns before you put the back on.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I honestly can't see the coherence between a non-available gasket and the "I never buy a quartz watch again" thing, that is just unlogical, it could happen to any mech as well. (besides - I wonder what kind of "special" gaskets/seals are used in TAG watches).

I also don't know why quartz watches are to be considered as "thrown aways", I can only presume because their prices are usually - or at least very often - a lot cheaper than the prices of mechanicals :-s

well, at least to me a cheap(er) watch doesn't make it less desirable/collectible, I'm more interested in functions free of failure and of course - most important - precise timekeeping. no offense, but if it comes down to that (timekeeping), oh boy every mechanical watch is in MY opinion to be considered as a "throw away" watch.

to say that quartz watches die after 20 years is also a fairy tail. considering the very less parts and practically no moving parts at all (besides the quartz itself and if its an analog watch the hands of course) they can do well for a lifetime, probably more. all they need (like any other watch, regardless auf movement, brand or price) is a little attention in form of new seals and/or new battery from time to time. just my 2 cents

regards, holger

·
G-Shock Mod
14,197 Posts
seems like the issue got nothing to do with if the movement is quartz or automatic. its simply tag stopped manufacturing the seals and refuse to service the watch.

what i am pissed about tag is that they refuse to service the watch at all. i would have been happier to hear if they would replace the battery, but state that since the seals were not replaced, WR is not guarantied. instead of a cheap-er battery replacement service, they are trying to get you to spend a lot more money and sell you another watch.

its like taking your old car to a car dealer for an oil change and they refuse to do it. instead of an oil change, the dealer is trying to sell you a brand new car with $x amount of discount. that's just bad business practice.

but i think subkrawler did the right thing, if you are swing the money, just get a popular tag model @ half off MSRP, turn around and sell it. take the money and put it down on something else. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Same thing happens to lots of other products if you think of it. Take the example of an old car : you might not being able to get brand new parts from the car manufacturer because the model is discontinued for a long time, so you have to go to the scrapyard to find the pieces and everyone thinks it's normal.

BTW I find it amazing that no AD could service your watch. :think:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand your frustration from first hand experience. I owned a Heuer chrono from the seventies, and wanted to get the gaskets changed so I could wear the watch in the water. I sent the watch to the repair facilities located in New Jersey and waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. I finally called them after three months had gone by, and asked them what the hell the hold up was, and was told they would get to it soon, they were busy. Next, about two more months of patience gone by, and they send me a letter with a price quote for the repair work. 480.00 for replacement of the water seals, and a complete overhaul of the movement. I called them on the phone and explained to them that the watch had been keeping absolutely pristine time, for such an old watch, and I didnt want to overhaul it. They explained to me that the quote they gave me, was for replacement of seals and overhauling the movement, and that they would not touch the watch unless I agreed, and paid in full. I explained to the arrogant idiot on the phone once again, that I did not want a full overhaul and just the water seals replaced. Click! That was my repsonse. They hung up on me. I admit I was angry, but not out of control in any way shape or form with him on the phone. Just angry at this extortion attempt. I called him back. He said that they would not touch the watch unless I agreed to a full movement overhaul. I tried calling Tag Heuer to complain about these american bufoons operating warranty repair facilities here in the U.S. Could not find a contact number at all. Not on their website, not on the internet, not anywhere other than a form to email a message to LVMH in Switzerland. I did file an email complaint and got exactly nothing in reply. Nothing at all. Ever! I then took the watch to a local jeweler who supposedly had a Tag Heuer tech working for him, and he offered to buy the watch at a very nice price so I sold it. Bottom line is, their service dept is the worst you will ever experience. Anywhere. Doesnt matter wether you have a quartz or mechanical watch. As to the question of quartz watches being throwaways, I agree. They are very simple and dont have very much to their mechanics whatsoever, and this is the main reason why serious collectors do not purchase a quartz watch, unless of course it's a Rolex quartz. Lol. They cost, literally, pennies on the dollar to make, and are so cheap, that an average movement replacement cost, on just about any Tag Heuer, or any other name brand for that matter, would be about 20.00 for the movement. Dealer cost mind you! Dont believe me? Do your homework and you shall see. Mechanical movements are far more complicated to make and require quite a bit of machining precision. For this reason, mechanicals are always returning a superior premium over quartz watches. To say that quartz watches last 20 years and then you throw them away, is a bit of exaggeration for certain, since there are many quartz watches from the eighties still going strong, but as for the value, they are throw away watches. Keep in mind that quartz watches literally blow away a mechanical watch in terms of accuracy, no matter the manufacturer or chronometre status of the piece. Period! And thats the end of that. Tag Heuer as a watch company has a lot to learn in terms of customer relations, and needs to drop the, I am god attitude, when it comes to customer service. Rolex is another company who has this holyier than thou attitude, and their watches, in terms of acuracy, are the biggest pieces of crap there ever was. Marketing, is an amazingly powerful tool, if wielded correctly, and no one is a better example of this than Rolex. Countless millions of people believe, incorrectly that Rolex watches are the finest you can get. The very creme de le creme if you will. Nonsense! Over priced, bloated inaccurate timepieces at best. My opinion of course. But people flock to the song Rolex sings, like lemmings, because their marketing department has always out spent every one else. My advice to anyone collecting watches is to do your homework and learn as much as you can. Eta time pieces such as Omega, Tag Heuer, Concord, Movado, yada yada yada yada, are never going to return a premium as healthy as an in house movement will, such as Patek, etc. I bet countless millions are unaware, that even the mighty Rolex, used movements made by other companies, as evidenced by the Zenith movements in many Daytonas over an 18 year period. What????? Impossible? What am I saying? I should be hung by the ears for such verbosity? Read and learn. You get what you pay for. I happen to think Tag Heuer, and Omega, to be the finest watch makers in the world. My opinion of course!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand your frustration from first hand experience. I owned a Heuer chrono from the seventies, and wanted to get the gaskets changed so I could wear the watch in the water. I sent the watch to the repair facilities located in New Jersey and waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. I finally called them after three months had gone by, and asked them what the hell the hold up was, and was told they would get to it soon, they were busy. Next, about two more months of patience gone by, and they send me a letter with a price quote for the repair work. 480.00 for replacement of the water seals, and a complete overhaul of the movement. I called them on the phone and explained to them that the watch had been keeping absolutely pristine time, for such an old watch, and I didnt want to overhaul it. They explained to me that the quote they gave me, was for replacement of seals and overhauling the movement, and that they would not touch the watch unless I agreed, and paid in full. I explained to the arrogant idiot on the phone once again, that I did not want a full overhaul and just the water seals replaced. Click! That was my repsonse. They hung up on me. I admit I was angry, but not out of control in any way shape or form with him on the phone. Just angry at this extortion attempt. I called him back. He said that they would not touch the watch unless I agreed to a full movement overhaul. I tried calling Tag Heuer to complain about these american bufoons operating warranty repair facilities here in the U.S. Could not find a contact number at all. Not on their website, not on the internet, not anywhere other than a form to email a message to LVMH in Switzerland. I did file an email complaint and got exactly nothing in reply. Nothing at all. Ever! I then took the watch to a local jeweler who supposedly had a Tag Heuer tech working for him, and he offered to buy the watch at a very nice price so I sold it. Bottom line is, their service dept is the worst you will ever experience. Anywhere. Doesnt matter wether you have a quartz or mechanical watch. As to the question of quartz watches being throwaways, I agree. They are very simple and dont have very much to their mechanics whatsoever, and this is the main reason why serious collectors do not purchase a quartz watch, unless of course it's a Rolex quartz. Lol. They cost, literally, pennies on the dollar to make, and are so cheap, that an average movement replacement cost, on just about any Tag Heuer, or any other name brand for that matter, would be about 20.00 for the movement. Dealer cost mind you! Dont believe me? Do your homework and you shall see. Mechanical movements are far more complicated to make and require quite a bit of machining precision. For this reason, mechanicals are always returning a superior premium over quartz watches. To say that quartz watches last 20 years and then you throw them away, is a bit of exaggeration for certain, since there are many quartz watches from the eighties still going strong, but as for the value, they are throw away watches. Keep in mind that quartz watches literally blow away a mechanical watch in terms of accuracy, no matter the manufacturer or chronometre status of the piece. Period! And thats the end of that. Tag Heuer as a watch company has a lot to learn in terms of customer relations, and needs to drop the, I am god attitude, when it comes to customer service. Rolex is another company who has this holyier than thou attitude, and their watches, in terms of acuracy, are the biggest pieces of crap there ever was. Marketing, is an amazingly powerful tool, if wielded correctly, and no one is a better example of this than Rolex. Countless millions of people believe, incorrectly that Rolex watches are the finest you can get. The very creme de le creme if you will. Nonsense! Over priced, bloated inaccurate timepieces at best. My opinion of course. But people flock to the song Rolex sings, like lemmings, because their marketing department has always out spent every one else. My advice to anyone collecting watches is to do your homework and learn as much as you can. Eta time pieces such as Omega, Tag Heuer, Concord, Movado, yada yada yada yada, are never going to return a premium as healthy as an in house movement will, such as Patek, etc. I bet countless millions are unaware, that even the mighty Rolex, used movements made by other companies, as evidenced by the Zenith movements in many Daytonas over an 18 year period. What????? Impossible? What am I saying? I should be hung by the ears for such verbosity? Read and learn. You get what you pay for. I happen to think Tag Heuer, and Omega, to be the finest watch makers in the world. My opinion of course!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: Why I Will Purchase a TAG Again!

I have a 15 year old Tag Heuer, 1000, two tone. It looks great, and it keeps excellent time, only a second off in a couple of months. A battery lasts around 3 years in it. I can take it to the local jeweler that installs watch batteries, and he will put in a brand new battery and guarantee that it remains waterproof...for $6.00. He will also inspect the seal(s) and replace if necessary..for additional fee.
Before I started going local, I was taking the watch to Mayers (big buck) Jewelry store...and paying $50.00+ for the same service.
Of all my watches...this one is my favorite. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts