WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, someone tell me why the G Shock Gulfman is called a Gulfman...what does it mean? did they mean Golfman?:-d and got the translation wrong?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
It has moon and tide data, so it's meant for sea-related activities I think. It also has titanium back and screws for rust resistance.

Can I ask what MA you do please? :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you sure can, it's judo, been doin it for about 15 yrs or so and I do a little bit of MMA but getting on a bit and now tend to be less competitive, now I just get on the mat for a workout. The guy on my left (the old geezer) is a legend in Judo, his name is Dave Starbrook, one of only a handful of Judoka to win a medal in two different Olympic games, he is now 61 and when I went on the mat with him last year (bear in mind I weigh 225lbs and am strong - I have benched 300lbs, squatted 400lbs + and run a mile in under 6 mins - err not all at the same time I hasten to add- in good shape - I usually win my fights) he absolutely battered me , He just overpowered me - awesome - he won a silver in 72 ( lost to a soviet beast called Chocosvilli) and a bronze in 76, he should have won gold I guess but he was known as an aggressive no frills fighter where as Chocosvilli was just as fit, strong but sneaky and clever and ultimately won. I still cannot believe a 61 yr old man could be in that sort of shape, he must have a special gene! Well, I shook his hand and he let me take a photo with him- top bloke.:-!

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I did Ueci-Ryu Karate for close to 8 years , I just got my black belt instructor rating when my knee poped at one of the competitions... and that was it for me and karate... recovery was long and slow and I retired from Karate...

It's great to see that someone else does marial arts here other than me!

As for the Gulfman... the new one is really just a marteking thing ... especally the new solar one that can't get off my wrist for some strange reason... well the Frog that I'm expecting / hoping to come next week might change this...

:):-!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I'm a bit of a UFC fan, and I saw a guy fight recently who had great Judo skills (quite rare in the UFC). I can't remeber his name, but he performed some of the most impressive throws I've seen in any UFC fight. I see Dave Starbrook has a book out, with a good rating too. :-!

I decided to take up karate at 40 (I'm 42 now) and I've never looked back. I did it for a year when I was 20 with the same sensei, and thought I might be dispirted with a lot of youngsters running rings round me, but it's not that way at all. I don't think age matters as long as you know you're giving it your best.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I did Ueci-Ryu Karate for close to 8 years
I haven't heard of that one. I do Wado-Ryu, are there any similarities? I'm still a novice next to you guys, I'll be going for my brown (3rd kyu) in January.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I haven't heard of that one. I do Wado-Ryu, are there any similarities? I'm still a novice next to you guys, I'll be going for my brown (3rd kyu) in January.
Unsure if it's same or not but when I did it Brown was considered "entry teaching level" ... from that point on you were judged by how you worked with youngsters as well as how you did your Kata's and sparings... for me there was a 2 year wait minum before I was even eligble for black belt...

But hey, that was over 10 years ago... kinda miss it to be honest... :-(

Here is some help from google:

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=478

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
It was probably Karo Parisyan. He has used his Judo well in UFC. Im a FORMER wrestler... Ive been thinking of getting back into some kind of MA. I like UFC, but cant spar a lot. I cant go to work busted up. I thought about Krav Maga, but its really more a self defense skill. Id love to find some old guy wrestling club!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
We have 3 month between kyu grades, then 6 months between 1st kyu and 1st dan. I skipped the last grading because there's quite a lot to learn for 3rd kyu. Kushanku is a big kata, but now I can complete it I really enjoy it.

Maybe you could go back? I returned after 20 years. I didn't quite get the warm welcome back I hoped for, just "hello, what happened to your hair?" :-d

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
It was probably Karo Parisyan. He has used his Judo well in UFC.
UFC 78 is about right, so it probably was. There's been some impressive (primarily) wrestlers in the UFC too.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
We have 3 month between kyu grades, then 6 months between 1st kyu and 1st dan. I skipped the last grading because there's quite a lot to learn for 3rd kyu. Kushanku is a big kata, but now I can complete it I really enjoy it.

Maybe you could go back? I returned after 20 years. I didn't quite get the warm welcome back I hoped for, just "hello, what happened to your hair?" :-d
You my feriend have not idea just how much of a "bug" did you ignite in me right now... granted it didn't take a lot but bug is active...

Heck I even started checking the Karate schools round me... partially because I was bored partially because of this topic...

Would be fun to go back in ... if for no other reason but to see just how much of that I still have in me...

You might get out of shape but you never really forget what you learn in Do Jo...:-!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I think you should go for it duke. As long as you have a good sensei, I think it's one of the most fulfilling things you can do. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm a bit of a UFC fan, and I saw a guy fight recently who had great Judo skills (quite rare in the UFC). I can't remeber his name, but he performed some of the most impressive throws I've seen in any UFC fight. I see Dave Starbrook has a book out, with a good rating too. :-!

Yes Karo Parysian is a good fighter. Only guy in the UFC to make Judo work. I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The G-shock Factory is not too far from where I train!:-!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts