WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to Tourneau in the Houston Galleria and noticed they opened an Omega Store Watch Boutique. I have to say I am very impressed with the selection.

I also noticed that all the watches were set to 10:08. some at the 45 secs and others at the 38 secs, but sill at 10:08. All I could determine was the way the shadow from the hand hits the dial, but does anyone know the rhyme or reason for this: setting the watches at 10:08?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
It draws attention to the brands logo on the dial, and is (generally) out of the the of the date etc..

cheers.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simple, it's the best position of the hands to see the logo on the dial. Photographers have been doing this for decades
So basically out of tradition because on some models, the hour hand actually covered the model name. But still doesn't explain the seconds hand.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It's an asthetic thing. You wouldn't want the seconds hand to line up with the other hands, lest people think there is no seconds hand at a quick glance. So it is set to another open and unobscuring position on the dial, which is usually at about 40 seconds.
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I really prefer the 1:52:45 sec setting myself.

Although the 10:37:45 is quite appealing as well. One might even say "sexy"

But my favorite with the Speedy is 3:22:(08 chrono hand)

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
The 3:22:08 layout on the Speedy looks great.
It's a fantastic photo aswell!

cheers.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I was going to Tourneau in the Houston Galleria and noticed they opened an Omega Store Watch Boutique. I have to say I am very impressed with the selection.

I also noticed that all the watches were set to 10:08. some at the 45 secs and others at the 38 secs, but sill at 10:08. All I could determine was the way the shadow from the hand hits the dial, but does anyone know the rhyme or reason for this: setting the watches at 10:08?
Another reason besides seeing the dial clearly is it gives the impression the watch is smiling with the hands on the 10 and 8 position.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I can't believe no one thought to mention the watch at the top of this forum page...

·
Sinn Moderator
9,806 Posts
Frankly it looks too staged for me. I take pics of my watches when the mood hits me and the hands are positioned depending on the time of day. Thus my watch pics show the hands at various locations on the dial and I think that looks more natural.

The one thing I can't stand in a watch photo is to see the crown out as that is simply not a natural position for the crown.

Just my view and here are a few sample photos. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
Its a marketing thing...

Watch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Analog watches as well as clocks are often marketed showing a display time of approximately 10:09 or 10:10. This creates a visually pleasing smile-like face on upper half of the watch, in addition to enclosing the manufacturer's name. Digital displays often show a time of 12:08, where the increases in the numbers from left to right culminating in the fully-lit numerical display of the 8 also gives a positive feeling.[13][14]

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
10:10 was the traditional alignment for analog watch photography from well before most of you were born.

old snak

·
Registered
82 Posts
jbdan, that Speedy shot is the best picture I have seen of any watch, ever. Well done.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
jbdan, that Speedy shot is the best picture I have seen of any watch, ever. Well done.
Well thank you very much nice of you to say! There are soo many good shots on WUS, but I must confess the Omega forum tops them all ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts