WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. The "Techniques d'Avant Garde" branding may have had some currency back in the early '80s. Any Formula One fan from that era would remember the green & white Williams, emblazoned with Arabic writing encouraging the spectator to "Fly Saudia" as well as the TAG logo and Heuer sheild.

The Saudis have been out of Heuer for years, why keep using their branding? I doubt anyone gets the association now, so why not just revert to Heuer? Maybe retaining the Saudi brand was a condition of the sale? Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I brought that up in the TAG forum a few months ago and no one seemed to understand that TAG Heuer no longer has anything to do with TAG (they've been separated a lot longer than they were ever together), or they felt that LVMH should stick with the TAG branding.

Starting at post #10, it kind of proves your point that no one understands what it was.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=2066365#10

So maybe it's just me and you.

-s-

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess you are right, Skoochy, nobody seems to know they are wearing the logo of an ex-formula one supplier/Saudi aerospace conglomerate on their wrists... Seems weird to me, but I guess we are just picky that way or something?

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
I guess you are right, Skoochy, nobody seems to know they are wearing the logo of an ex-formula one supplier/Saudi aerospace conglomerate on their wrists... Seems weird to me, but I guess we are just picky that way or something?
Very interesting. Actually, I'll admit I did not know that.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I think it's all about the marketing. TAG sounds cooler than Heuer, and we all know they've been very successful. So why fix it if it ain't broke?

·
Banned
2,219 Posts
From a practical standpoint, I have noticed that most non-WIS folks out there don't know how to pronounce Heuer, so they just call 'em "Tags." Maybe they kept Tag for those folks. ;-)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From a practical standpoint, I have noticed that most non-WIS folks out there don't know how to pronounce Heuer, so they just call 'em "Tags." Maybe they kept Tag for those folks. ;-)
Yep, there is likely more truth in this than anything else. I could imagine the American and Japanese markets having all sorts of trouble pronouncing Heuer, but it's not like it's a new brand or anything...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Tag bought Heuer in 1985 and made them one of the biggest swiss watch makers at the time, LVMH bought Tag Heuer in 1999, and keep the name together , they paid 739 million dollars for the company back then, wonder what its worth today:think:
Mark

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Two words: brand equity. Zillions have been spent marketing the TAG Heuer name, so they have a lot invested in a name that many people recognize and it probably doesn't make economic or marketing sense to change now.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,274 Posts
Just curious. The "Techniques d'Avant Garde" branding may have had some currency back in the early '80s. Any Formula One fan from that era would remember the green & white Williams, emblazoned with Arabic writing encouraging the spectator to "Fly Saudia" as well as the TAG logo and Heuer sheild.

The Saudis have been out of Heuer for years, why keep using their branding? I doubt anyone gets the association now, so why not just revert to Heuer? Maybe retaining the Saudi brand was a condition of the sale? Anyone know?
I'm thinking it is pretty simple. The brand name is recognized and it sells gobs of watches.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two words: brand equity. Zillions have been spent marketing the TAG Heuer name, so they have a lot invested in a name that many people recognize and it probably doesn't make economic or marketing sense to change now.
So, it's a fashion watch, then. Just like DKNY or something. Apply a name from a fashionable industry (F1, Business jets) and hope the glamour rubs off?

I don't see the difference between Heuer and TAG Heuer. It's not like they would be changing the name to "pinapple sandwiches" or something unrelated.

http://www.tag-aero.com/flashsite.html

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
I'm thinking it is pretty simple. The brand name is recognized and it sells gobs of watches.
Bingo! TAG is the second most recognizable luxury watch name behind Rolex. Why change that? I've actually been in a conversation with another WIS at a barbeque about our brand preferences when a bystander jumped in to ask "Why don't you just buy a TAG or a Rolex? They're the best watches around, right?". :roll: Hey, I'm certainly not casting aspersions at either brand as I own or have owned both and like them, but they are not the best by a long shot. Their marketing departments obviously have a lot of consumers thinking otherwise though. Kudos to them, and keep that TAG in front of the "Hoy-er". ;-)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
So, it's a fashion watch, then. Just like DKNY or something. Apply a name from a fashionable industry (F1, Business jets) and hope the glamour rubs off?

I don't see the difference between Heuer and TAG Heuer. It's not like they would be changing the name to "pinapple sandwiches" or something unrelated.

http://www.tag-aero.com/flashsite.html

to me if they changed the name to louis v,instead of Tag Heuer then maybe it would be a fashion watch. dkny is pretty low on the fashion watch list. maybe they should split the company and have Heuer and Tag heuer, that could be even a better option for LVMH have more models to choose from.

·
Banned
46 Posts
I have been a big fan of F1 since nelson piquet was still racing. Heuer was the official timer and back then it was already BIG, even before Mcqueen helped market the Heuer (specifically with the Monaco). TAG Heuer at the F1 circuits still maintains it as their #1 marketing tool.

When TAG and Heuer merged, Heuer was the watchmaker while marketing was heavily subsidized by TAG. IMO, Heuer was a cooler name brand as it had significant watchmaking history from a Suisse-German heritage. Techniques d'Avant Garde (Breakthrough or Innovative Techniques, in French) was more simplified for most people who can not pronounce foreign language as it was shorten to just as TAG (also for most people who can not speak french).

When LVMH acquired TAG Heuer, it included the patents, the technology, as well as the brand name. Think about Louis Vuitton (which is also owned by the LVMH group) while Louis, Gaston (his son) and their descendants have nothing to do with their own products nowadays.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's kinda like the Oakland Raiders using the tagline, "Commitment to Excellence"-- It has nothing to do with the current product but it's been around for a long time, so why change it?

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Could it also be the name recognition? As was said above, the brand became the huge widely recognized brand it is today under Tag ownership using the Tag Heuer name. If it reverted back to Heuer, I wonder how many would recognize it. Still I wonder if the Heuer brand alone doesn't still carry enough weight to use it by itself for limited runs or high priced editions of existing Tag Heuer models. Wasn't this done with a modern reedition of the Monaco (labeled Heuer only)?

BTW, this wouldn't be the first time a big swiss name co branded prducts and then separated the brands. Remember in the 80-'s when Omega had turned largely into a middle market brand (before finding it's way again and turning into a luxury product maker)? Remember those Watches that were branded "Omega Tissot"?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts