WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like almost every chrono I see has date or day/date. The watch is busy enough without those details. Someone make me an affordable wind-up chrono without date please.

(I assume there are some out there and you will give me some interesting choices ;-) )

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After looking up those first two, I see I need to define 'affordable'. Let's say <$800.

What's the third one?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Seems like almost every chrono I see has date or day/date. The watch is busy enough without those details. Someone make me an affordable wind-up chrono without date please.

(I assume there are some out there and you will give me some interesting choices ;-) )
I think you are noticing that the majority of the European-made affordable automatic chronos (say under $1500) are based on the Valjoux 7750 movement which has day+date complications. Unfortunately this movement is as economical as it is sturdy... two qualities needed to make affordable, long lasting automatic chronos.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I think you are noticing that the majority of the European-made affordable automatic chronos (say under $1500) are based on the Valjoux 7750 movement which has day+date complications. Unfortunately this movement is as economical as it is sturdy... two qualities needed to make affordable, long lasting automatic chronos.
Well, and also that chronos are "busy" almost be definition, at least if they have multiple dials. I think it's a little unusual to prefer a "clean" look without a date or day but still like the "busy" look of a chrono otherwise. People who like chronos seem to generally prefer for the watch to have a lot going on. After all, it's not like most of us use the stopwatch much, so the look is mostly for style.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Plenty of vintage chrono's out there with high quality movements for reasonable money.
That's the best route to take, IMHO. You can find many chronos from the 50s-70s at good price points and wonderful movements, if you take your time to look carefully. Not to mention the cool history involved.

Of course if you go new, that just leaves more vintage for me! :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
$230 shipped

DSCF5402 (Small).JPG

·
Registered
10,228 Posts

Almost all chronographs are one and the same watch: the 7750. You'll see some more variety when the Swiss have to start making watches again.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Any problem with the omega speedmaster pro 3570.50? That's what I'm wearing and it meets all of your requirements... I love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts