WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had this 6105-8110 for a few years now and worn it just a handful of times. I had it up for sale a couple of times but then withdrew it because I just couldn't part with it. It's not like I'm hanging on to it because it will appreciate, as I'm 72 and really couldn't care less if it doubles in value 10 years from now, and no kids to leave it to either. So why hang on to it, is it because I'll probably never own another if I sell it, or is it just because it's rare?

Attachments

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because you probably worked very hard to get the right one. You don't have to wear a watch to appreciate it and get satisfaction from it. That particular one has a lot of great Seiko dive DNA in it.
On the contrary, it kind of fell into my hands. Just happened to be passing a pawnshop and thought I'd check out the watches, and lo and behold, a Seiko 6105 sat, just waiting for me to buy. Maybe that's it, fate, I was meant to own it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Are you desperately in need of cash right now? If so, then do whatever you need to do- whether it be selling the watch or anything else.

I'm going to assume you are not in financial trouble and I would recommend you keep the watch. I have sold watches in the past and I now regret it. I didn't need the money- I just wasn't wearing them much anymore. Some of the sales I regretted to the point of buying the same watch that I sold all over again!

Hold onto it mate.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you desperately in need of cash right now? If so, then do whatever you need to do- whether it be selling the watch or anything else.

I'm going to assume you are not in financial trouble and I would recommend you keep the watch. I have sold watches in the past and I now regret it. I didn't need the money- I just wasn't wearing them much anymore. Some of the sales I regretted to the point of buying the same watch that I sold all over again!

Hold onto it mate.
No, don't need the money, but it does seem to be a waste for it just to sit in a drawer. Not like it's going to be someone's legacy. Oh well, as someone once said, I don't have to feed it!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think its because there is no need to sell it. If there was something you wanted more and needed the extra cash then the decision would be easier.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would have to say because it is your watch. I have the same problem. Watches I don't wear I find hard to sell simply because they are mine. Un-logical but as simple as that. A man wants to keep what's his . But I also agree with clavius. We are hoarders, even if for no apparent reason

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It's the possibilities, what if you regret selling it? What if one day you really feel like you'd want to have it and you made the wrong decision.

Do you want someone who would appreciate it to have it?

·
Registered
772 Posts
On the contrary, it kind of fell into my hands. Just happened to be passing a pawnshop and thought I'd check out the watches, and lo and behold, a Seiko 6105 sat, just waiting for me to buy. Maybe that's it, fate, I was meant to own it.
Pawnshop?.....Sounds like a good deal. What did you pay for it? Or is this a teaser thread sale?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
So why don't you wear it? Looks, comfort, or your other watches take up too much wrist time?

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pawnshop?.....Sounds like a good deal. What did you pay for it? Or is this a teaser thread sale?
No, not a teaser thread, and I did pay significantly less than what it's now worth, but don't forget I bought it about 7 years ago.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It kinda has a retro look. I am not as old as you(49), but it seems the things I acquire now, I have a harder time parting with.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I reckon it's because you had a win. The fact that you remember the day it happened - 7 years ago - the memory of that win is embodied in the watch. Logic tells you to take the money & run but the subconscious overrules, you can't buy & sell memories. I can't remember anything I bought 7 years ago, but I remember every chance encounter win.

So it doesn't take up a lot of space, no dietary requirements and no ongoing expenditure but it makes you feel good about yourself. Don't ever sell it!

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I reckon it's because you had a win. The fact that you remember the day it happened - 7 years ago - the memory of that win is embodied in the watch. Logic tells you to take the money & run but the subconscious overrules, you can't buy & sell memories. I can't remember anything I bought 7 years ago, but I remember every chance encounter win.

So it doesn't take up a lot of space, no dietary requirements and no ongoing expenditure but it makes you feel good about yourself. Don't ever sell it!
I think you've hit it on the head. I think I'll have to wear it more to appreciate that win.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts