WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we all know luminescence looks cool on our watches. But what other purposes does it serve? Do the majority of us spend that much time in darkness that we are able to really appreciate it?

Can a company stand-alone on just marketing their lume?

Thanks

·
Banned
300 Posts
I agree, As long as I can tell what time it is though the night. Then blah who cares.

On the other hand it is neat to see one just fire up when the lights go out. My Monster and Planet Ocean both did this. If you really want lume though the night a Ball is the way to go. I love those tubes, they really shine at 3am.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Some of us tend to do a lot of work in the dark or near dark...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have a few watches with lume that lasts through the night and I appreciate it. I travel overseas regularly. Your body gets messed up with jet lag. When you wake up in a strange room it is nice to be able to see the time.

On the other hand, I've got some watches that I really like with no lume. The appearance of the watch would be ruined by trying to put lume somewhere.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Okay, we all know luminescence looks cool on our watches. But what other purposes does it serve? Do the majority of us spend that much time in darkness that we are able to really appreciate it?

Thanks

I sometimes sit in the dark to look at my BALL haha :-d (I am serious though I have done it) It is beautiful to look at :-!

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
The best lume is visible even when the environment is lit - literally when you walk into a shadow, you can see it glowing. It is a thing of beauty, but this usually only happens if you have thick C3 or Lumibrite on the watch. Why is it important beyond being able to read the time in the dark? Its just plain neat to look at.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I love the high lume of my Ball watch and that I can readily tell the time upon waking, without having to wake all the way up to make out the time. It was certainly one of the factors contributing to me buying from that manufacturer.
I don't think any manufacturer could stand-alone as a 'one-trick pony' on the quality of their lume alone, not when there are manufacturers like Ball that offer great lume and lots of other attributes.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
How did I know Ball would come up in this thread :think:

There is no reason whatsoever for me to have a bright lume. Not for work, not really for anything other than that it looks pretty cool. My Ball CE is my brightest so far, but we'll see when the PO arrives in a couple months

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Lume is not that important for me. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I do not care to know the time. Still time to roll over and go back to sleep. Eventually my T-touch will buzz, andthen it is time to reach for the laptop and go on the WUS!!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Lume is not that important for me. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I do not care to know the time. Still time to roll over and go back to sleep. Eventually my T-touch will buzz, andthen it is time to reach for the laptop and go on the WUS!!
LOL @ WUS at alarm time

I never look at the time in the middle of the night. If I do, I never get back to sleep...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

Thanks
Ummm, Pyrolume? http://pyrolume.blogspot.com/

Well to be fair, he also has unique, individual, hand crafted out of the norm awesome designs. But the LUME!

I normally keep to a daytime schedule, but for some nightime adventures I really appreciate being able to see the time. Plus it just looks so cool.
Or as my little one recently said.

My six year old daughter said:
Daddy! Your watch is GLOWING! Mommy come here, Daddy's watch is GLOWING. That is AWESOME!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I like bright lume because I also often have to work in the dark, but even if I didn't I believe every dive watch should have decent lume. Kind of irks me when it doesn't -- especially when a very mediocre 150 dollar seiko (yeah, I'm talking about the monster, JR.. :-d) has killer lume.

There's just no excuse for the rest of the dive watch manufacturers. <|

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I need to see the time when i wake up at night or in the early AM. I've taken to reLuming my watches if the Lume is substandard.

B

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
DCD, I'm sensing that you won't be participating in Monster Friday! :-d

It's extremely rare that I need bright lume - I check the time on my mobile at night (am I allowed to say that on here?), as it is next to me for the alarm. But I love getting a flash of Monster or BFK or Sumo lume when it is in a shadow, especially in the mirrored lifts at my office.

It's not just about brightness, either. Balls aren't that bright, but the glow is eerie and the colours beautiful. Similarly, a lot of vintage watches seem to have different colours due to the use of tritium and other compounds. And then there is the icy and eerie cool blue of modern Citizens.

Lume - what's NOT to like???

I like bright lume because I also often have to work in the dark, but even if I didn't I believe every dive watch should have decent lume. Kind of irks me when it doesn't -- especially when a very mediocre 150 dollar seiko (yeah, I'm talking about the monster, JR.. :-d) has killer lume.

There's just no excuse for the rest of the dive watch manufacturers. <|

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lum-tec watches have great lume too, as well as watches that look great in general. But I'd bet that their watches wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are now if their lume was average.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Lume is over-rated. And I never sleep with my watch! :-d

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Lume is over-rated.
Same here - I like looking at cool lume photos, but don't require any on my watches.

To the OP's question of "Why is Lume so important to some? Why isn't it to others?" I say watches are like cars (ha! using the infamous analogy!): some want horsepower, others want fuel efficiency - to each his own.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
To the OP's question of "Why is Lume so important to some? Why isn't it to others?" I say watches are like cars (ha! using the infamous analogy!): some want horsepower, others want fuel efficiency - to each his own.
I would put it more like,
some people like a simple paint job on their car, some like flames painted on the hood!
Some are happy with stock headlights, Some want super HID!
Some like cloth seats some want leather. :-!
Wait I'm sorry, I thought I was on the car forum again

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm one of these oddballs that actually scuba dives a fair bit, and being able to read my backup instrument (for such is the purpose of my watches) in the dark is hugely important.

for watches I don't dive with, it doesn't matter to me. but for my dive watches it is a matter of utmost necessity.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts