WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed here that a lot of you are into modding your Seiko watches. Surprisingly, in most other brand forums in watchuseek you don't see such a huge trend by people to modify their watches (except maybe to replace the SS bracelet with a strap) Is this mostly a Seiko thing, and why?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Variety of options to start with. Then add that Seiko's are affordable but still high quality so you have a great combo for mods.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seiko is the Model T Ford of the watch world.

They are tough, reliable, and mass produced.

Much like the Model T, Seiko owners are individuals with different personalities, nuances, and tastes. They take the base watch which is well made and beautiful and start adding their own personal wants and desires. What they are left with is a durable, beautiful watch, with their own personal touches.

With the amount of aftermarket parts, pieces, and bands, the possibilities are limitless.

Want a hardcore military watch? There's a mod for that.
Want a classy rolex look? There's a mod for that.
Want a watch that looks good in the board room and also hanging off the side of a mountain? There's a mod for that.

Take some of the world's best made watches, that are both affordable and easy to work on, and you are left with a watch that is........

yours.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have been thinking of adding a sapphire crystal to my 007. I think it would really enhance the watch and make it just perfect. I know that's not much of a mod, but I like the rest of the watch as is. Although I do like some of the mods some of you have done to your Seiko watches.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, I have been thinking of adding a sapphire crystal to my 007. I think it would really enhance the watch and make it just perfect. I know that's not much of a mod, but I like the rest of the watch as is. Although I do like some of the mods some of you have done to your Seiko watches.
That's me.

I recently had a sapphire crystal fitted to my 007 and it completely changed the whole look of the watch.

Many of the mods I see I thoroughly admire, some raise an eyebrow and one or two cause a frown. As long as they please their respective owners though, they have fulfilled their role completely.

Personally I am very happy with stock Seiko divers and I know a lot of folks are more or less the same.

I think it's great that those who want to individualise their watch can take a standard, off-the-peg model that in its own right is a superb watch, and turn it into something entirely different and, in some cases, completely unique.

Whatever honks your hooter is fine, and it's always interesting to see what folks are coming up with in terms of how they mod their watches and how they combine various parts into a sum total for a given look.

Let's also not forget the massive contribution made by the component suppliers who come up with new after-market part designs, always pushing the envelope still further and offering ever more scope to chop and change.

Stock or stock with sapphire is as much as I want (mostly) but some of the mods I have seen are absolutely stunning and strength to the arm(s) of those involved.

Long may it continue !

:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm with you guys as well. I prefer a simple, subtle, modification. I always put a Sapphire crystal in and/or change a band. Sapphire really makes any watch look so much classier and has the added benefit of extreme scratch resistance. The domed sapphire with anit-reflective coating makes the watch more readable and the face really... pops.

Plus the crystals are only around $40.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I like to be able to personalize a watch now and then. The abundance of mod friendly parts available for Seiko's combined with Seiko's low initial cost and high initial quality make them the natural choice for these efforts.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Because they are so versatile.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I just started.

Do you realize how many different Seiko's there are AND, how relatively affordable they are with all of the different parts available? The 7s26 movement is also tried and true, but FAR cheaper than the ETA 2824/2836/2892s.

I can't wait until mine is done.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
some of the mods are really great. A couple of months ago, I bought a yobokies modded Fifty Five Fathoms. Sorry, no pics as the camera is packed away for a trip. I have worn this watch a lot since it arrived and to be truthful about it I like it almost as much as one of my Omegas which cost a whole lot more.

·
Registered
15,992 Posts
Obviously it's due to the relatively low prices of the models and easy availability of parts.
And bcz guys just like to mess with perfectly a good thing. (I know I do. :D )

The 'other' question that comes with the OP's questions is, Would this practice be just as popular with other brands if given the same conditions? Easy access to parts, diversity, affordability, etc. I'd think so. I can imagine INVICTA being a very popular brand to mod - if their stuff wouldn't fall apart. Unfortunate, really: INVICTA does have the 'diversity', but not the uniformly reliable quality, it seems.

I wonder what Seiko (company) thinks of this phenom.

1.Do they like it, and even secretly encourage it? - so they can see the "trend" (if any)?
There was a rumor that that's how the SPORK got born - after seeing so many people modding their Monsters with those fat Bell&Ross pilot hands.

Or...
2. are they indifferent? Obviously, if they actively DISLIKED it, they'd have taken steps long ago to choke off the supply of parts, no?

It seems to me to be the former - Seiko does not mind seeing what people do, especially as their market is so big (global) and people in different regions prefer different things.
On that note: when I heard that SPORK was discontinued, I also found out that it was originally an Asian market model. And this was perplexing to me as most Asians do NOT prefer tool watches (unless G-Shock), they tend to prefer a little more *bling* with their metal watches - probably bcz so many of them have to dress in suits all the time.
What do they like in South America, I wonder?

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
The quality and price of seiko(not grand seiko) is good for a personal mod without sending to professional modder which might cost $$$. Even you spoil it, it will not cost an arm or limb unlike a swiss made watch. But I personally prefer using a Casio for personal mod. Quality is still good but far more cheaper than Seiko.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've yet to see any mod I like, in fact I actually think most I've seen are awful. Each to their own of course.
Not trying to antagonize you, just wanted to show this Orange Tsunami. Im amazed how nice this looks, everything flows together, nothing forced or out of place, IMHO.
To me modding watches is like modding cars. There are lots of mods, some good, some bad and some are inspired such as the this.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Wrist Strap Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

1 - 20 of 34 Posts