WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Watch newbie here. So please forgive me for asking this question.

I did a search on this forum for "Soprod", but dont seem to find any answer to why this is a better movement than, say, the 2824.

People just say its better, but not much supporting facts other than it has better finish, and any watch with the A10 in it seems to be substantially more expensive.

The specs seems to be similar, PR length, accuracy, etc.

Can anyone sheds some light on why it is a better one? Is it worth the extra money.

Thanks

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,401 Posts
The Soprod A 10 for sure is more elaborated than a 2824 or the Sellita 200 clone. If compared to ETA it should be compared with the (better) 2892-2. A lot of info (and I mean a lot) is available on the www and here on WUS, just do a search ;-)
However, there is not much difference in comparing the SOP A10 vs. ETA 2892-2. Because of its lower production levels Soprod company can' t compete directly with ETA (2892-2) or Sellita (SW 300) on price. In 2014 The A10 was available at 180 francs per unit and was not offered in different different quality levels, the A10's "grade" is equivalent to ETA’s "Top".

More important when looking into the near future: Soprod, under the umbrella of the Festina Group, does not depend on the Swatch Group for its escapements. Headquartered in Reussilles, Kanton Jura, Soprod can source components from other subsidiaries of the FG, including MHVJ in the Vallée de Joux, for escapements, and MSE in Muriaux (JU) for balance springs. So, sooner or later, production figures will raise.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have 2 Soprod and 5 eta watches. The Soprod powered ones are both +\- 2 secs a day. The ETA (Elebore & Top) are all roughly +/- 4-5 a day.

·
Registered
36,322 Posts

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
who the hell said soprod is better than eta??
Lots of folks:

Enter soprod vs. eta into your favorite search engine for a wake up call.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 2824 has hand-winding issues that the A-10 Soprod does not have.

Hand winding a 2824 movement has definitely caught the attention of many owners.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/eta-2824-winding-issue-2322506.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f6/f6-2824-handwinding-thread-866942.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/eta-2824-2-winding-question-847082.html

To be clear, I like the 2824 (and SW200) but I don't hand wind them.
I am aware of the 2824 manual winding issue, thanks to this forum.
So A10 really has no such problem, I mean theoretically it call solely rely of hand winding?

If its true it will be a great selling point for me since I dont have watch winder and I dont want to have to reset the time every time I use it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Have an A10 in my Schofield and ETA 2836 (I think) in my Bremont MBII. The ETA is substantially more accurate, runs about -3. The A10 is poor - set it a couple of days ago and it's -30s. Not due for service as it's only a year old - may have to have it regulated.

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Have an A10 in my Schofield and ETA 2836 (I think) in my Bremont MBII. The ETA is substantially more accurate, runs about -3. The A10 is poor - set it a couple of days ago and it's -30s. Not due for service as it's only a year old - may have to have it regulated.
Or demagnetized.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Soprod A 10 for sure is more elaborated than a 2824 or the Sellita 200 clone. If compared to ETA it should be compared with the (better) 2892-2. A lot of info (and I mean a lot) is available on the www and here on WUS, just do a search ;-)
However, there is not much difference in comparing the SOP A10 vs. ETA 2892-2. Because of its lower production levels Soprod company can' t compete directly with ETA (2892-2) or Sellita (SW 300) on price. In 2014 The A10 was available at 180 francs per unit and was not offered in different different quality levels, the A10's "grade" is equivalent to ETA’s "Top".

More important when looking into the near future: Soprod, under the umbrella of the Festina Group, does not depend on the Swatch Group for its escapements. Headquartered in Reussilles, Kanton Jura, Soprod can source components from other subsidiaries of the FG, including MHVJ in the Vallée de Joux, for escapements, and MSE in Muriaux (JU) for balance springs. So, sooner or later, production figures will raise.
Thanks, so I understand 2892-2 is a more fair comparison to Soprod A10.
Then I started looking at the different ETA movements on here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/eta-chart-basic-details-eta-2824-2-2892-a2-7750-a-513566.html
And I can see that 2892-2 is clearly better than 2824-2.

However as a regular daily watch, is it worth the extra money to get a 2892 or Soprod A10, over the 2824-2?
And is Soprod A 10 generally more expensive than 2892-2?

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Thanks, so I understand 2892-2 is a more fair comparison to Soprod A10.
Then I started looking at the different ETA movements on here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/eta-chart-basic-details-eta-2824-2-2892-a2-7750-a-513566.html
And I can see that 2892-2 is clearly better than 2824-2.

However as a regular daily watch, is it worth the extra money to get a 2892 or Soprod A10, over the 2824-2?
The 2824 is an excellent movement for regular daily watch as are the A-10 and 2892. Get the watch you want at the price you are willing to pay, taking into account the movement, whatever it is.

Don't let the choice of movement dissuade you from getting your favorite watch. The movement should not be a deal breaker.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,401 Posts
I would prefer the 2982-2 or A10 (where possible) but I always buy the "ensemble". The 2824-2 has proven its workhorse quality so I am not opposed to it as long as I get the elaboré or top grade.

I thought I answered this already ? No ? (5th sentence of my earlier post).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would prefer the 2982-2 or A10 (where possible) but I always buy the "ensemble". The 2824-2 has proven its workhorse quality so I am not opposed to it as long as I get the elaboré or top grade.

I thought I answered this already ? No ? (5th sentence of my earlier post).
Yes you did answer the price question, sorry and thanks.

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
My 2 most recent purchases are both 2824. The Kontiki is running +4 sec/day and the H2O is running +6 sec/day. Since they are both brand new, they may have a little "settling in" to do.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 2824 is an excellent movement for regular daily watch as are the A-10 and 2892. Get the watch you want at the price you are willing to pay, taking into account the movement, whatever it is.

Don't let the choice of movement dissuade you from getting your favorite watch. The movement should not be a deal breaker.
Except for the hand winding issue of the 2824-2.
Maybe a Miyota 9015? But it would mean limiting the choices to mostly "micro" brand.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
2892 also has a winding "issue".

The switching from stem winding to rotor winding is set around a post on which a wheel is held against by a spring.
Switching causes friction against the post and over time, it can wear.

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Except for the hand winding issue of the 2824-2.
Maybe a Miyota 9015? But it would mean limiting the choices to mostly "micro" brand.
Adding the 9015 to your window of watches opens up a bunch of neat choices. It is an excellent movement and, again, should not be a deal breaker if it is inside your ultimate purchase.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts