• Aliens

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so its not THAT expensive but, after handling one and purchasing a 36mm 1926, I am legitimately curious about the $1k price difference. Both are 36mm oyster cases, on bracelets w/ ceramic clasp bearings, and with highly modified 2824s. The BB36 does, however, have more water resistance, an extra 1.2mm of steel, and a better mix of brush/polish, but does that account for $1k? (I do also get that it is more popular too.)

I'd love to hear from any BB36 owners! What do you think accounts for its $3k price tag?

(photos included just because and are courtesy of W&W and everyone's favorite new clockmaker from NYC)
https://wornandwound.com/library/uploads/2018/03/TUDOR_1926_6.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b8/08/1f/b8081fd84c70b559d6c6271a7e64cf2a.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting thread. I think this is one of the reasons Tudor suffers from the big brother Rolex stigma. A Rolex lite if you will. No offense. I don’t think anyone questions why a sub date is $1,000 more then a sub. Is the date really worth 1k? Or why an air king and Milgauss are thousands apart yet the insides of the watch and the case are basically the same. Are one dial and hands worth thousands more?

In the luxury watch market there is enough difference to justify price variations. Rolex charges $500 more for a 116610LV then for a 116610LN. One is green one is black. No one questions it. In the end it’s all about supply and a demand.

The black bay line put Tudor back on the map. It’s the most popular line they have. It will command a premium. I would say I can see enough difference between the top watch and bottom watch to justify the 1k difference. Some might not and opt for the top watch as they are looking for better value. In the luxury market there is no such thing to most buyers. It’s all marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It’s probably just the demand and supply. I’d also think it’s because of the practices that some Rolex/Tudor ADs have adopted.

·
Registered
298 Posts
In my opinion it's because the 1926 is trying to walk a weird line between dress and sports watch and does neither well. The BB36 is just a simple stainless sports watch, and that's what sells. Having said that, they definitely don't hold their value on the used market like other BB models. You can find BB36's for quite a bit under what they retailed for.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I got mine pre-owned in VG condition, though only a few months old from the original owner and AD-purchased, for around $1500. At that price it was hard to complain about anything, of course except the fact that I couldn't find the right fit with no half link and had to let it go. That aside I think it's a great little piece, everything about it just felt really well put together and the blue dial was killer. But had it been over $2000 I don't think I would've gone for it.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
...they definitely don't hold their value on the used market like other BB models. You can find BB36's for quite a bit under what they retailed for...
I got mine pre-owned in VG condition, though only a few months old from the original owner and AD-purchased, for around $1500. At that price it was hard to complain about anything...
These are also great points. I guess the BB36 doesn't have to be $3k (but I do think that $1500 is pretty low from what I've seen. I think they've caught on in the secondary market a bit more lately).

·
Registered
17 Posts
The main reason why I bought mine is its unique look (dive watch with no dive bezel). I liked the look ever since it came out in 2016. But I hesitated, hoping that other brands would come out with similar watches. But last year I thought that I had waited long enough, and so I went ahead and bought it. I didn't compare it with the 1926. But even if I had, I would still have chosen the BB 36, despite the price difference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
secondary prices for the BB36 have gone up in the last little while due to a lot of folks looking at it as an explorer alternative (which uhh I guess it could be..?), since anything even vaguely associated with the explorer seems to just get enthusiasts' hearts pumping. I do think it's better looking than the 1926 but if you dig the look, might as well go for it!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thread needs more pictures. Despite differing origins the BB36 is a fine alternative to the Explorer indeed, and arguably the closest thing right now to the charming 36mm Explorer references of yesteryears, so it does have that going for it. Having recently acquired a 214270, however, what trepidation I had regarding the larger 39mm case quickly vanished into thin Everest air. Back down to the BB36, although some people can't stand the Snowflake hour hand I personally find it a bit quirky, with a whole lot of charm. The stately blue dial and historical smiley "self-winding" text are just cherries on top. On a similar subjective note, I personally don't vibe with the handset, indices, and date window cutout on the 1926.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Factor in also the 36 box dome sapphire which is much more expensive, the applied luminous markers, luminous hands, differences in case construction to achieve the water resistance it has and it is altogether not even really comparable!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The BB36 is one of the best proportioned watches on the market today. Legibility is outstanding thanks for the snowflake hands against the black dial. It’s also a strap monster.

The 1926 is nearly irrelevant when comparing to the Black Bay line - no offence to any 1926 owners. Entirely different watches, one being the model that put Tudor back on the map.

The BB36 was the first watch I acquired in 13 years of collecting that actually made me take pause from the forums all together for nearly 2 years. It literally satisfies in every way possible. I bought this to be my one watch and then circumstances allowed me to rebuild my collection.

Eventually Tudor will either discontinue the BB36 or insert an in-house movement, and if they do this, we’ll continue to talk about the ETA version for years to come. Just like earlier BBs that used the ETA movement, it will be the one people come to appreciate the most. The fact it has an ETA movement inside is a selling feature - service costs are lower and I can go anywhere to have it done. I don’t intend to polish the case when I have it serviced so I know I can take it to a local watch maker without worry.

Also, “expensive” is subjective. I think in the grand scheme of the watch world, the BB36 is priced fairly. I don’t recall over a decade ago people complaining about the price of Omegas with modified ETAs. You’re getting the same here with Tudor - top grade ETA, modified and adjusted by Tudor. I was fortunate to get nearly 20% off my BB36 from my AD, the price I paid is only a few hundred more than what they sell for used today. The secondary market does appear to be coming around to this model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Factor in also the 36 box dome sapphire which is much more expensive, the applied luminous markers, luminous hands, differences in case construction to achieve the water resistance it has and it is altogether not even really comparable!
Great! I forgot about the crystal and lume differences too!

The 1926 is nearly irrelevant when comparing to the Black Bay line - no offence to any 1926 owners. Entirely different watches, one being the model that put Tudor back on the map.

. . .

Also, “expensive” is subjective. I think in the grand scheme of the watch world, the BB36 is priced fairly. I don’t recall over a decade ago people complaining about the price of Omegas with modified ETAs. You’re getting the same here with Tudor - top grade ETA, modified and adjusted by Tudor. I was fortunate to get nearly 20% off my BB36 from my AD, the price is paid is only a few hundred more than what they sell for used today. The secondary market does appear to be coming around to this model.
Trust me, not offense taken (Tudor's failure to adequately pitch the model's hertiage sealed its fate—"1946" or "1956" would be more fitting names given its design language). I appreciate your take on this. And, to be clear, the "expensive" bit was more of a framing tool for the questions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I almost popped for the 1926 over my bb41 black on bracelet. But I found LNIB only a few months old for close to what the 1926 would have been.

I say keep looking, there are some good deals out there.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
8 Posts
Three other items to add to the BB36 “upgraded” features list:

BB36 has a 3 point micro-adjust bracelet. 1926 has no micro-adjust.

BB36 has a more secure clasp lock-up mechanism.

BB36 has a more elaborate Tudor Rose insignia crown. 1926 has a Tudor shield insignia crown.

4F1F0608-FB29-46A4-8C06-92A20C130421.jpeg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts