WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, that's all :p

What I mean is, is there a particular rationale behind the grey dial? Besides merely a desire for such a variety?

Some kind of historical link perhaps?

Thank you :D

·
Moderator Emeritus
56,358 Posts
There's no historical link. The "new" one was launched in 2007 as an alternative to the black dialed Flieger. In 2007 Jörg again added the Ikarus to his portfolio because a lot of customers wanted a Flieger not only to be worn with casual cloth but also with more classic outfit (suit). So the Ikarus became re-animated.

Original text (2007):
"Eine Variante unserer populären Fliegeruhr und gleichzeitig der Nachfolger unserer früheren Ikarusmodelle.
Wir sehen die Ikarus als eine sinnvolle Ergänzung zur bestehenden Kollektion an, den Sie passt nicht nur gut zu sportlicherer Kleidung, sondern lässt sich je nach Bandvariante auch etwas eleganter tragen.
Ihr STOWA Team und Jörg Schauer"

The first Icarus (Ikarus) was available in two versions (see complete portfolio pre 2007 here: http://www.watchinfo.de/bio/STOWA/index.htm)

Case: stainless steel 316 L, matt
Diameter: 40 mm or 36 mm
Sapphire: both Saphir, domed on top, flat on back
Hands: blued steel,filled withTritium C3
Movement: ETA 2824-2, date, 25 jewels, 28.800 a/h, Geneva stripes, blued screws, engraved rotor

A former moderator (thanks Bruce) owned that pre 2007 model

Michael Sandler (TZ.US) took some excellent shots here: http://www.minutemachines.com/watches/Stowa/Stowa.html

·
Vendor
939 Posts
Hello,

the idea behind the grey Ikarus was to launch a dial version which is a bit more civil but with the same typography of the Flieger watches.

The Ikarus can have more strap versions in my opinion which sometimes look more classic.

So it is much easier to put a croc strap on the Ikarus than on the Flieger watch.

I often wear a Ikarus when wearing jeans and/or smart casual clothes.
(The picture was taken this morning .-))

best regards

Jörg Schauer

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
56,358 Posts
If I wouldn' t be on the list for the chrono the Ikarus most likely would be the next to order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts