WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone had some insight into this Wenger. While perusing the sales section yesterday I spotted the blue faced version of this watch on sale for a very reasonable $80 shipped. Now I was curious as to what it cost normally so I did a quick search and found the black face version on Amazon for a staggering $315!! Worse again it was supposedly reduced from $400. Now I know the prices on amazon have sometimes to be taken with a grain of salt, but I looked on other sites and the price was also very very high. However on the bay they can be had for around the $100 mark which is normal.

Are Wenger also one of those companies who post ludicrous recommended retail prices in the same vein as Invicta.

The price seems crazy, I mean you could have a Marathon TSAR or a CWC SBS for not much more coin or any other similarly priced high quality piece that takes your fancy.

I'm looking forward to yer opinions on this one.
Cheers,
Barry.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Are Wenger also one of those companies who post ludicrous recommended retail prices in the same vein as Invicta.
I think so. They used to be a separate company, but they are owned by Victorinox now. I think Wenger is supposed to be the slightly more affordable lineup. But to answer your question, yeah if you're looking, the ebay price is probably a lot more accurate as to what they are actually worth than some mythical MSRP.

A couple years ago, I bought a NIB quartz Victorinox off ebay for only half MSRP. It died on me less than a month later and I got screwed since I had no stamped warranty card. But instead of regretting not buying it from an authorized dealer, it just reinforced in my mind that the watch wasn't worth its msrp to begin with. This was before I knew anything about watches, but when I found out it would cost hundreds to fix at an authorized service center, even though it was using like a $20 movement, and they were trying to sell it for almost $400 retail, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

But for $100, I wouldn't sweat it. You may as well take a chance, because even if it dies on you shortly, you can purchase another one and still come out ahead of paying retail. I had another Swiss Army Renegade aka Victorinox years ago purchased at retail that ran fine for a year before getting stolen. So although I got burned on that one gray market watch purchase from ebay, they aren't all totally crappy watches. But they aren't worth full retail IMO.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
It also looks like it's a discontinued model, which will make it sell for less than when it first came out.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,355 Posts
I see the same range of grey market prices with Bulova Gemini, Omega, Ebel, Seiko and several other brands. There are some sellers on Amazon, Ebay, watch forums and other venues who price their watches way above the real going retail price. Those high priced sellers may have overpaid and are vainly trying to cover their cost. Or they are hoping for the periodic buyer who isn't concerned about price. Who knows what they are thinking. My recommendation is to just find a seller with a realistic price and not try to firgure out the motivations of higher priced sellers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts