WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a brand new PRW-3500SYT-1JF Pro Trek with the sapphire crystal and the STN Negative LCD Display directly from Singapore. The watch arrived in excellent brand new condition with all the protective tape on the watch case and band. The watch is definitely brand new and unworn with no scratches on it. The band, case and crystal are all flawless and everything on the watch works flawlessly.
However, I noticed that there’s some sort of film on the negative LCD display. All the numbers on the LCD display are legible. But there’s some sort of cloudiness on the rest of the negative LCD display where there aren’t any LCD segments. The underneath of the crystal seems to be clean with not moisture or film underneath it. The clouding and film looks like it’s only on the negative LCD display. You can see the clouding when there’s not much light hitting the display. Especially if you’re in a room without much lighting when you turn the watch at a 45 degree angle. It’s much less noticeable under a lot of light, unless you turn the watch at an angle. The watch has no moisture or fogging underneath the sapphire crystal. There’s not been any moisture or fogging up of the crystal underneath the crystal. The inside of the watch is completely dry.
I’ve attached some pictures on here so you can see what I mean. Do you think that the STN negative LCD display on this model is supposed to be like this? What do you think that this cloudy film is? The watch is 100% authentic and not a fake. Do the Pro Trek watches with the STN negative LCD display have this cloudiness and film on the LCD display? What is this film and cloudiness that I see? Is this film and cloudiness a natural occurrence? Is this normal?

·
Registered
312 Posts
The same situation has been reported on quite a few solar/atomics, but seems to really plague the negative display Kings/Mudman. In a bit of a rush out of the house right now, don't have time to search the forum, but widely reported many times with no definitive cause/solution identified. You're definitely not the first, and there seems to be no real solution outside of opening it up and polishing the inside of the crystal. IIRC the most plausible causal speculation was that some of the plastics inside the case had degraded and out gassed, causing the weird chemical haze on the inside of the crystal.

Will try to post some thread links tomorrow, but give the forum a search and you'll see you're (unfortunately) not alone...

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
The same situation has been reported on quite a few solar/atomics, but seems to really plague the negative display Kings/Mudman. In a bit of a rush out of the house right now, don't have time to search the forum, but widely reported many times with no definitive cause/solution identified. You're definitely not the first, and there seems to be no real solution outside of opening it up and polishing the inside of the crystal. IIRC the most plausible causal speculation was that some of the plastics inside the case had degraded and out gassed, causing the weird chemical haze on the inside of the crystal.

Will try to post some thread links tomorrow, but give the forum a search and you'll see you're (unfortunately) not alone...
It depends if the solar panel is attached to a glass or plastic sheet that goes across the whole underside of the crystal, as I believe it does on the King and many older solar squares. In this case, the "fog" can be between this sheet and the crystal, so it would not be easy to clean.

·
Registered
960 Posts
It’s pretty easy to remove these modules or at least take it out enough to see if the haze is on the LCD or on the glass. With either, you could get a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol and give it a once over then use a clean microfiber cloth and gently give it a final wipe before reinstalling. The solar panel may be attached by a tiny screw so take your time if you decide to take it completely out. Let us know. Have fun.

If you don’t want to do that, you can send it in to Casio for service. I’ve used them before with good results.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It’s pretty easy to remove these modules or at least take it out enough to see if the haze is on the LCD or on the glass. With either, you could get a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol and give it a once over then use a clean microfiber cloth and gently give it a final wipe before reinstalling. The solar panel may be attached by a tiny screw so take your time if you decide to take it completely out. Let us know. Have fun.

If you don’t want to do that, you can send it in to Casio for service. I’ve used them before with good results.

The watch is a virgin brand new watch. I don't want to take the risk of opening it up and ruining it. I don't want to fiddle with it. As for sending it to Casio, I don't think it's a good idea. This particular model is a Japanese domestic model and I don't want to go through the hassle of having to send it to Casio USA or to Japan or Singapore. I'm just going to have to live with it. I purchased this watch from a seller in Singapore to use for everyday wear and to also wear in rotation with my other PRW-3500's that I own. I ordered and have incoming 2 more of this same exact negative LCD display model. I purchased the 2 additional ones to have as back ups and also because this model is very rare and hard to find. I also own 3 other regular PRW-3500's that have a positive LCD display, but none of them have the hazing issue.
From the pictures that I posted on here, I think that all the haze and fogging is only on the negative LCD display. If there’s any hazing underneath the crystal, it’s very hard to tell. I don’t know if this particular solar Pro Trek model has a double layer crystal or if the solar panel is glued to the crystal. But I do know that the crystal is sapphire.
I wonder what type of gasses are being emitted from the plastic parts inside the watch for this hazing to occur? I've never seen this happen before on any negative LCD display and I own a quite a few non solar negative LCD display analog/digital Casio G-Shocks. Maybe Casio used the wrong mixture of chemicals in their plastic resin parts on the module or inside of the watch for this hazing to occur. Or maybe the rechargeable solar battery inside the watch is degassing. My watch is over 5 years old. The last 4 digits of the serial number is 199E which means that my watch was manufactured on the 199th day of 2015 which was on July 15th, 2015. The watch sat unsold for the last 5 1/2 years inside its factory wooden Casio Pro Trek box. When I got delivery of the watch, I noticed a musty smell only on the wooden Pro trek box and inside the box. If the watch had any musty odor, it's gone right now because I've been wearing the watch for the last 5 days. Maybe the hazing occurred during the 5 1/2 year period that the watch sat confined inside the wooden box in Singapore while everything inside the watch case including the solar powered rechargeable battery was degassing. Who knows.
The hazing can be seen clearly only when viewing the watch at an angle and only in different lighting situations. Mostly in low lighting or on a cloudy day while driving inside my car. You cannot really see it when there's a reflection bouncing off the watch crystal and LCD display when there's a lot of light or sun bouncing off the watch crystal and LCD display.
I just hope that the hazing doesn't get any worse than it already is. Maybe Casio discontinued this particular blue model PRW-3500 with the STN negative display because of the haze problem. What I do know is that this particular model is very rare and very expensive to buy used as well as brand new. That's the reason why I purchased 3 of them. I purchased all 3 pieces brand new and at around the same price that one would pay for a used one.
Do most people who have this haze issue on the negative LCD display on their solar Casio Pro treks and G-Shocks usually just live with the haze and just wear the watch and not care about it?

·
Registered
307 Posts
It is a phenomenon that has been seen before. A residue has formed on the inside of the glass. We most often see it with solar watches which have the solar panel bonded to a sheet of glass. Perhaps the extra glass surfaces give more opportunity for the reside to form. Or perhaps it is related to the adhesive.

(it has occurred on some non-solar watches also, but usually takes much longer to manifest)

Positive vs negative should have no bearing on whether the phenomenon occurs - however it might be more noticeable on negative displays.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Why not just send one off and see what they find out? It’s not a big deal to wrap her up for a couple bucks and send it to a Casio USA repair shop. I used “The Time Machine” repair shop out in California. I’d hate looking at that haze all day!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Regardless if it is a "virgin" Casio that has not been open, you only have 3 choices

1. Live with it the way it is
2. Ask the seller if you could return or exchange it (it might be more of a pain in the butt as the seller is not in the USA)
3. Send it to Casio

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m afraid of sending it to Casio or to an authorized Casio repair center because I fear that they’ll screw something up or do a messy job and that the watch will not be the same ever again if they blotch the repair. I don’t trust them.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I'd notify the seller of the issue, provide photos, and return it. If they are legit it should not be an issue. I understand it's a fairly rare piece that you've been eyeing for a while, but you should be 100% happy with your purchase or it's not worth it in my book. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I'd notify the seller of the issue, provide photos, and return it. If they are legit it should not be an issue. I understand it's a fairly rare piece that you've been eyeing for a while, but you should be 100% happy with your purchase or it's not worth it in my book. Good luck.
Agreed. There is no way I would accept a new watch with this serious flaw. It looks like a 10-year-old beater when it should look pristine.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will email the seller, but the seller clearly states on his website that he does not accept any returns. I've emailed the seller a few weeks ago to inquire on the shipping status and on the status of another PRW3510 Pro Trek watch that I'm interested in, but he hasn't even replied back to me and I've emailed him 3 or 4 different times. No reply at all from the seller.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I will email the seller, but the seller clearly states on his website that he does not accept any returns. I've emailed the seller a few weeks ago to inquire on the shipping status and on the status of another PRW3510 Pro Trek watch that I'm interested in, but he hasn't even replied back to me and I've emailed him 3 or 4 different times. No reply at all from the seller.
If the seller won't respond, take it up with the company that processed the payment (PayPal, credit card, etc).

·
Registered
932 Posts
PRG-300-1A9 with the same problem.
Same lcd yellow and same year manufactured 111E.
Bought new in this condition in 2017.
Made in Thailand H

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PRG-300-1A9 with the same problem.
Same lcd yellow and same year manufactured 111E.
Bought new in this condition in 2017.
Made in Thailand H

View attachment 15647082
That's a very beautiful Pro Trek. So you bought yours brand new just like I did back in 2017 in that same condition with the haze on the negative LCD display just like I did huh? Where did you purchase yours? Did you buy it from Singapore like I did? Is the negative LCD display on yours an STN display like mine is?
I can clearly see the haze on the 7 o'clock and at the 10 & 11 o'clock position on the negative LCD display. Is the haze on yours all over the place like it is on mine or is it just only in the left hand side half of the LCD display? Do you know if the haze on yours is "ON" the LCD display or is it "UNDERNEATH" the crystal on the crystal? I'm trying to figure out whether the haze on mine is on the negative LCD display or whether it's underneath the crystal on the crystal. I'm having a very hard time determining this.
Mine is made in Thailand H too with a manufacture date of 199E. I willing to bet you that there are a lot of these negative LCD display modules that were manufactured all throughout 2015 that have this hazing problem.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If the seller won't respond, take it up with the company that processed the payment (PayPal, credit card, etc).
I just sent the seller an email together with pictures of the haze. The email went through, however, I don't see the pictures going through when I check on the seller's website. I did everything via my cell phone. So what I did was I also emailed them through their inquiry email address that they list for their warranties. The pictures of the hazing went through this time around when I used their inquiry email address. The company that I purchased for is located in Singapore. I believe it's only a one (1) man operation. The website also has a link to some real estate in Singapore that the owner is selling and leasing. As far as I can tell it looks like a legitimate watch website. The website sells Casio, Seiko, Citizen and Orient watches. A lot of their models are out of stock, but they still have many other models in stock.
If he doesn't get back to me in 24 hours I'm going to contact PayPal. Also, I told him that I've received only 1 out of the 3 pieces of the same exact model that I purchased from him. The other 2 pieces have already arrived here in the USA, but are still in transit. I'm still waiting for delivery. I hope that the other 2 remaining pieces don't have this same problem with the hazing on the LCD display. I will be really disappointed if they do.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The fact that the seller does not accept returns is a big sign that some watches MAY have issues, which he or she MAY be aware of.

If i were you, will try to sell it off instead. Seems u are pacifying yurself to accept the watch, despite the flaws.

No rare item is worth such trouble.

Sending to Casio, most likely they will open up the case and charge u big bucks, worse case scenario the problem persist.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The fact that the seller does not accept returns is a big sign that some watches MAY have issues, which he or she MAY be aware of.

If i were you, will try to sell it off instead. Seems u are pacifying yurself to accept the watch, despite the flaws.

No rare item is worth such trouble.

Sending to Casio, most likely they will open up the case and charge u big bucks, worse case scenario the problem persist.
I don't know why the seller would sell watches with issues. I do know that when I received the watch, it had all the protective clear tape all over the watch band and clasp and a clear plastic wrap around protective film around the watch case. The protective tape on the entire watch band was on very well. There was no sign that the watch was used or tampered with. There were no scratches anywhere on the watch band, clasp or watch case. The only problem was the haze on the negative LCD display and I didn't notice the defect until 2 days later with I tilted the watch at an angle in low light. It's also noticeable in the sunlight when you turn the watch at a 45 degree angle. That's when you can really see the haze very well.
To be honest with you, I haven't really thought about selling it, but that's an idea too. The only thing that I would be concerned about is whether the haze would be acceptable to a buyer. I don't want to have to spend money to fix it either. Especially when this watch is still brand new and has a 1 year warranty on it. However, I agree with you that there's a good chance that if Casio tried to fix the hazing issue that they wouldn't be able to fully fix it and that there could be a good probability that the hazing problem would still persist.

Maybe this particular STN negative LCD display Pro Trek model has been having issues all along with the haze on the underneath of the crystal and on the LCD display. Maybe it's common for this model to have the hazing issue and nothing can be done about it to fix the problem. Maybe that's why Casio discontinued this particular model. I own 3 other Pro Trek 3500's and they all have positive LCD displays and none of them have this hazing problem.

I still have 2 more of the same exact model incoming from Singapore from the same seller and I hope that the other 2 don't have this hazing problem. The seller had the last 3 pieces in stock and I grabbed all 3 of them because I knew that this particular model was very rare and very hard to find brand new anymore for a reasonable price. Different sellers on eBay are currently asking anywhere from $575 to $1,113 for this same exact model brand new with the average price brand new being around $928. They are asking $436 to $441 on eBay for ones that are all beat up and used.

There are currently a few used but badly beat up negative display PRW-3500SYT-1 Pro treks for sale on eBay, but it's hard to tell whether or not they too have this same type of haze problem when I try to magnify the pictures.

·
Registered
932 Posts
That's a very beautiful Pro Trek. So you bought yours brand new just like I did back in 2017 in that same condition with the haze on the negative LCD display just like I did huh? Where did you purchase yours? Did you buy it from Singapore like I did? Is the negative LCD display on yours an STN display like mine is?
I can clearly see the haze on the 7 o'clock and at the 10 & 11 o'clock position on the negative LCD display. Is the haze on yours all over the place like it is on mine or is it just only in the left hand side half of the LCD display? Do you know if the haze on yours is "ON" the LCD display or is it "UNDERNEATH" the crystal on the crystal? I'm trying to figure out whether the haze on mine is on the negative LCD display or whether it's underneath the crystal on the crystal. I'm having a very hard time determining this.
Mine is made in Thailand H too with a manufacture date of 199E. I willing to bet you that there are a lot of these negative LCD display modules that were manufactured all throughout 2015 that have this hazing problem.
I don't believe the screen is STN. The haze is all over the screen, more or less strong in some places. I have the impression that it is on the LCD, from certain angles it is very dark and we cannot see it. Maybe it's the quality of the LCD itself that is in question. She dont come from Singapore .

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also prefer to buy watches that are still wrapped in protective plastic. Most AR keep only one of each model, and only reorder once the model.sold (thats what they told.me). Some AR will remove the protective plastic on the watch face before putting on for display. So far, two of the Gshocks i purchased, the protective plastics on the watch face were removed.

You may never know, some customers may handle the watch very roughly, with minor scratches and even minor damage to the crowns. Back the watch on the display rack, ending up with unlucky buyer.

As for yur case, maybe long term storage, in tropical heat. Just maybe.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts