WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't believe the screen is STN. The haze is all over the screen, more or less strong in some places. I have the impression that it is on the LCD, from certain angles it is very dark and we cannot see it. Maybe it's the quality of the LCD itself that is in question. She dont come from Singapore .
The same here with my negative LCD display screen too. The haze on mine is everywhere too. I also believe just like you do that it’s on the LCD too because from certain angles the LCD screen is very dark and you cannot see the haze. But from a 45 degree angle you can see the haze. Especially at the angle while holding the steering wheel in my car when driving while the sun shines on the watch. When this occurs, that’s when I can see the haze everywhere on the LCD display. Maybe there’s some sort of a layer of film that’s on top of the LCD display that clouds up causing haze to appear when it ages after a few years. Or maybe something like a particular material inside the watch is emitting a gas which causes degassing making it get on to the LCD display causing the hazing. Whatever it is, it definitely originates somewhere inside the watch case and module. I’m surprised that Casio hasn’t noticed this problem or mentioned anything about this problem especially with these particular Pro Trek modules being around for the last 5 years.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I also prefer to buy watches that are still wrapped in protective plastic. Most AR keep only one of each model, and only reorder once the model.sold (thats what they told.me). Some AR will remove the protective plastic on the watch face before putting on for display. So far, two of the Gshocks i purchased, the protective plastics on the watch face were removed.

You may never know, some customers may handle the watch very roughly, with minor scratches and even minor damage to the crowns. Back the watch on the display rack, ending up with unlucky buyer.

As for yur case, maybe long term storage, in tropical heat. Just maybe.
I was thinking of the same thing as you regarding the storage method of the watch being stored in the tropical Singapore heat for a few years possibly being the cause of the hazy film to appear on the LCD display or on the underneath of the crystal. Could the storage of the watch being in tropical humidity for the last 5 years cause a hazy film to appear on the LCD display over time?
I did notice that the outside of the Pro Trek factory wooden box that the watch came in had small dark brown spots everywhere on it and that it had a musty smell to it like a humid musty smell both inside and outside of the wooden box. The inside of the cardboard box that held the wooden box also has a musty humid smell to it. The watch seems to be water tight. There’s no indication of any moisture existing inside the watch. The cause and the origin of the hazy film on the LCD display is a big mystery to me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The cause and the origin of the hazy film on the LCD display is a big mystery to me.
There are many previous reports about it. It is a known phenomenon, it is not limited to ProTrek.

It takes some years to occur and does not happen to every watch. But it has happened enough that we have seen numerous threads about it. Most but not all cases occur on solar watches with the double-glass.

The cloudy residue can be wiped off but the affected surface may be difficult to access.

Nobody knows if Casio is aware of it. They don't comment on things like this to their customer base. However the recent B5000 and B5600 solar squares do not have this "crystal sandwich" construction.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The seller replied back to my email and instructed me to wait for the other remaining 2 watches to arrive and to inspect them to see if they too have the hazing problem so I can return all 3 watches back to him together if the other 2 watches also have the same hazing problem. I’m still waiting for the other two watches to be delivered. The tracking numbers show that they’ve arrived here in the USA, but there’s no further information other than that.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The fact that the seller does not accept returns is a big sign that some watches MAY have issues, which he or she MAY be aware of.

If i were you, will try to sell it off instead. Seems u are pacifying yurself to accept the watch, despite the flaws.

No rare item is worth such trouble.

Sending to Casio, most likely they will open up the case and charge u big bucks, worse case scenario the problem persist.
A credit card for mpany and even pay pal will support "not a described" or "product defective" as a refundable issue.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Glad to hear the seller is willing to accept a return, really frustrating experience.

Regarding tropical heat and mold/mildew growth, there was some news on leather shoes, bag that infested with mold, after just 1 month inside a hot humid shopping mall (the shopping mall was closed due to Covid restrictions)

Besides, the tropical sun can overheat plastic or resin in just minutes. Imagine somebody putting such product in a car and left for weeks, months. The chemicals in the plastic may deteriote. Thats why i never drink from a mineral water bottle left in a car, even for hours in the hot sun.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I don't believe the screen is STN. The haze is all over the screen, more or less strong in some places. I have the impression that it is on the LCD, from certain angles it is very dark and we cannot see it. Maybe it's the quality of the LCD itself that is in question. She dont come from Singapore .
I was wondering what made you keep your watch with the haze when you purchased it brand new? What made you keep it and not return it? Did you get used to the haze being present on the screen? In other words, did you decide to live with it being there? Is your Pro Trek a rare model? Would you consider your Pro Trek to have very good visibility even though it has the haze all over the screen even in the areas where you mentioned that the haze is strong?
On mine, I can see the haze when a lot of light shines on it when I tilt the watch at a 45 degree angle or when the watch is away from my eyes when I'm looking at the display at a line of sight at a 45 degree angle like for example when I have my hands on the steering wheel of my car while driving. While I'm driving during a sunny day while I have my hands on the steering wheel, when I move my eyes towards the watch crystal, I can see all the haze all over the screen/crystal. Do you see the haze on your watch too while you have your hands on the steering wheel while driving on a sunny day like I do? I'm easily able to see the "cloudiness" all over the screen during this scenario. But if I were to have my wrist parallel to the ground and look directly straight at the LCD display with the bright ceiling light hitting directly on the LCD display, I don't really notice the haze. The LCD display on mine is an STN LCD display and the numbers are bright enough to see even in dim light. Does the exact same scenario occur to you too when you look at the LCD display on your watch in the same position just like I do that I just described above?
I purchased 3 of the same exact model with the negative STN LCD display. I've only received just this 1st one so far. The other 2 are still in US Customs. I haven't received delivery of them yet. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. Initially, I was thinking of sending the current watch that I have on hand with the haze problem back to the seller in Singapore for a refund together with the other 2 negative display watches when I receive the other 2 Pro Treks that are currently incoming if the other 2 also have the same hazing problem like this one does. But I'm having an issue and am battling to make a decision about this particular model. The issue that I'm having is that I really like this watch even though it has the hazing issue on the screen. It looks really nice when worn on my wrist. The bright blue colored bezel and bright blue ring around the crystal with the contrasting black bracelet and case makes this watch really pop and stick out during the daytime when worn under bright light.
The other issue that I have is that this particular model (PRW-3500SYT) is very hard to find anywhere and if you can find it, it costs a premium. Currently, there aren't many for sale on eBay and there are definitely none for sale anywhere else online outside of eBay. The used ones of this exact same model that are currently for sale on eBay are listed anywhere from $441 to $1,249 and the brand new ones are listed for sale anywhere from $575 to $927 to $1,113. Because this particular model is very hard to find and because of the premium cost of this particular model, I'm debating whether I should just keep all 3 of them and just live with the hazing issue if all 3 watches are going to have this hazing issue. What should I do? What would YOU do? With the one that I currently have on hand right now, everything on it is working fine and there's nothing wrong with it electronically or cosmetically for the exception of the haze underneath the crystal. What would you do if you were in my position with the circumstances that I've given on here? What do you think that I should do? I need to make a decision. I'm leaning towards keeping the one that I currently have on hand and also keeping the other 2 that are incoming even if they all have the haze issue. Do you think that the hazing issue that this watch has is really a big deal? Do you think that it's okay to just live with it and wear and enjoy the watch?
Finally, do you think that the hazing underneath the crystal will get worse over time or do you think that it has stopped? The last 4 digits of the serial number on my watch is 199E, so that means that the watch was manufactured on July 18th of 2015 which was a little bit over 5 1/2 years ago. Would you think that whatever degassing that occurred inside the watch case that has caused the underneath of the crystal to have a film of haze on it has already ended by now?
The asking prices for this particular model for both used and brand new are ridiculously high. I don't know why it's so expensive? Why is everybody asking such a premium for this watch? Did Casio not make many pieces of this particular PRW-3500SYT-1 Pro Trek model? What gives?

·
Registered
182 Posts
For me i would choose to return due to hazing issues. Maybe u could wait for the other two, while returning the 1st one. Or all 3 together, if the seller gave u more time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Not sure why you're struggling with this @Georgewg, when the answer seems so obvious to most everyone who's commented. Return any/all "hazy" examples ASAP, full stop. Honestly I think the seller you bought from is doing you a HUGE solid by even allowing you to return the one you already wore for a few days... Thank them profusely for allowing the return, send the watches back, and be done with this boondoggle.

Others with this problem have often noted that it gets worse with time. And you bought THREE of the same model? Maybe you actually planned to keep and wear all three, but seems more than likely to me that just maybe you planned to flip two, make a few bucks, and keep one at a reduced price. If that assumption is correct, are YOU going to feel alright selling "hazy" examples of this watch to somebody else? Don't you think they'll end up returning the "hazy" watches TO YOU? Likely in "less than perfectly new" condition, as you are going to do to this seller after having worn one for a few days already?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Not sure why you're struggling with this @Georgewg, when the answer seems so obvious to most everyone who's commented. Return any/all "hazy" examples ASAP, full stop. Honestly I think the seller you bought from is doing you a HUGE solid by even allowing you to return the one you already wore for a few days... Thank them profusely for allowing the return, send the watches back, and be done with this boondoggle.

Others with this problem have often noted that it gets worse with time. And you bought THREE of the same model? Maybe you actually planned to keep and wear all three, but seems more than likely to me that just maybe you planned to flip two, make a few bucks, and keep one at a reduced price. If that assumption is correct, are YOU going to feel alright selling "hazy" examples of this watch to somebody else? Don't you think they'll end up returning the "hazy" watches TO YOU? Likely in "less than perfectly new" condition, as you are going to do to this seller after having worn one for a few days already?
I didn't purchase 3 of the same exact model to sell. I purchased them to have in my collection. I think that you are right that I should return all 3 of them if they all have the haze issue. I'm still waiting for the other 2 to arrive. I think that they are in US Customs right now. I haven't worn the 1st one that I got. I have it in its factory Casio Pro Trek box.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
For me i would choose to return due to hazing issues. Maybe u could wait for the other two, while returning the 1st one. Or all 3 together, if the seller gave u more time.
I think that this is exactly what I will do. It's too bad that such a beautiful watch like this has this sort of problem with the haze/cloudiness underneath the crystal.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I haven't worn the 1st one that I got. I have it in its factory Casio Pro Trek box.
Good for the seller, they might have some recourse with Casio if they are all still BNIB when they plead their case. Apologies, I assumed you had worn it since you mentioned it took you a couple days to notice and cited a few "while wearing" type situations (e.g., driving your car) where the haze was noticeable.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Wait to receive the other two. You are not satisfied and as you take your head too much, you should send back piece(s) bother you.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
I would return as well as it must be bothering you to have started this thread and it may annoy you more the longer you have them or you might just get used it? But if you are not happy straight away and the options there to get your money back 🤔

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The first photo was listed from Singapore seller, though i did not pursue further the exact source. listed a year ago?

View attachment 15655029
I can clearly see all the haze on the crystal in the picture above. If you look closely, you can see the haze/cloudiness that's underneath the crystal even with the factory protective plastic film that's on the watch.
I'm curious to find out exactly what is causing the degassing to occur. Is it the material that the solar panel is made from which is causing the degassing to cloud up the underneath of the crystal like that with haze? Or is it something that's in the module that's degassing? Another question that I have is for how long does the degassing occur? One of the members in here said that even though the watch that I received is over 5 1/2 years old that the degassing is still occurring inside the watch and that the haze/cloudiness can get worse. Is it true that there is still degassing occurring inside the watch 5 1/2 years after it was manufactured? Hasn't all the degassing that's occurred inside the watch case stabilized and stopped after so many years? I'm curious to find this out.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I would return as well as it must be bothering you to have started this thread and it may annoy you more the longer you have them or you might just get used it? But if you are not happy straight away and the options there to get your money back 🤔
Well, for one thing, I know that the haze is there, so I'm used to it now. At first it was bothering me, but it's not really bothering me as much right now. I really like the watch and how it looks. It's a very sharp looking Pro Trek. So at least, if I were to ever decide keep all 3 watches, I would wear at least one of them and enjoy the watch on my wrist even though I would know that there's haze/cloudiness on the underneath of the crystal. As long as it doesn't get worse over time, I wouldn't mind owning and wearing this watch. Especially if it's a rare model. I mean, yes, I would be aware of the issue, but at the same time, if the issue doesn't get any worse than it currently is right now, then I wouldn't mind keeping all 3 watches and enjoying them. I mean will the haze/cloudiness get any worse than it is right now? Another thing that I've noticed about this particular Pro Trek model (PRW-3500SYT-1) is that every single used one that's for sale on eBay right now seems to have the haze/cloudiness issue on the crystal. If you go on eBay and look at all the pictures, you can tell that the underneath of the crystal has haze on it. The pictures aren't that clear, but if you magnify some of them, you can tell. Even the brand new ones that are on eBay have the same issue. The sellers are trying to cover up the problem, but if you go and take a look, you can tell that the crystal definitely has a haze problem. Every single one of this same exact model that's for sale right now on eBay has this problem.
What I really want to find out is whether the haze/cloudiness is going to get worse as time goes by. The watch is a little bit more than 5 1/2 years old right now. I was wondering whether or not the degassing that has occurred inside the watch case has stabilized and stopped. If it's stabilized itself and stopped, then the crystal will not haze/cloud up anymore. But if the degassing is still occurring inside the watch, the crystal will continue to haze/cloud up more. I wish that I could know more about this chemical reaction that's occurred inside the watch case and what material is causing the haze issue.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts