WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I was just wondering that there is often a lot of mention of independents but somehow Christoph Claret, despite his many excellent and complex pieces is not always highlighted..is it that we expect independent horology to always be three hander with small seconds at six o'clock :) Claret's deisgns and pieces have more modern look and feel, but I see a supreme excellence in them that does not recieve its due share of mention and highlight in my opinion...please share your views and any owner experiences would be wonderful.

warm regards, and stay safe

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Finances, while I am sure there are some millionaires about on wus, I am not sure many billionaires are.
How much income would you need to comfortably drop several hundred thousand on a watch?

He without doubt creates some amazing watches under his name and for others, however they are also somewhat of a matter of taste, roulette wheels, slot machines, disappearing flower petals, pin ball machines etc...

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,641 Posts
Re: Christophe Claret

What a coincidence. Almost a year that nobody mentions CC and now two threads within an hour, two threads merged.

·
Registered
977 Posts
He without doubt creates some amazing watches under his name and for others, however they are also somewhat of a matter of taste, roulette wheels, slot machines, disappearing flower petals, pin ball machines etc...
A taste I’ll be in no hurry to acquire...

Furthermore, when you gather from the multiple threads posted here that ‘affordable’ is a range from $/£/€ 300 to 3,000, Christophe Claret, with an entry level price of around 70k, is a bit of an irrelevance.

·
Premium Member
22,565 Posts
I'm not in the market for a $70K and upwards watch, but even if I was, I would probably prefer one that was timeless and classic, the likes of a Philippe Dufour or a R.W. Smith. I think the combination of exceptionally high price and extremely taste specific designs does result in a very limited appeal for their watches.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not really a style of watch I like, aesthetically-speaking, and certainly way outside my price range (by a factor of 50 or so), but there is a place for admiring haute horology simply for its technical sophistication and quality of execution. So I'm glad you brought this brand to my attention. Petty cool.

There was a "haute horology" thread some back, maybe a year or more, that made me aware of a lot of tiny, super-expensive watchmakers you never see discussed here or anywhere else, but are doing amazing and "out of the box" things. I feel like those deserve to be talked about, too.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies...indeed it is a combination of design and proce which keeps them out of discussions here...I feel around 5 or so years ago (may be more), his work was advertised and discussed more often...many independents have emerged since then so that drowning out is also a factor..I recently saw an Instagram post and that triggered my query again...amazing watches in my opinion.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: Christophe Claret

I have ven seen one of this brand. It looks impotent and very well designed, full of complications. I could find these 2 models which look amazing and very expensives, over US$65.000. Christophe Claret.jpg Christopn-Claret-Maestoso-Rose-Gold-Titanium.jpg

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Its cool stuff. I appreciate it but its so far from the real world.. there must be a small group of individuals who are worth 50m+ that meet and discuss stuff like this.

These are not the yacht owner types but the types who dress like willie wonka and show off their crazy watches, weird art and who got into eating bats quite recently. They probably meet in some divebar in Hongkongs slums where they store their own bottle of 1745 cognac because the owner knows everything about a medieval fighting technique that has long been forgotten

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
They do have one RG model with two vertical number columns . . . $490,000.

The CC models are certainly not my cup of tea, but one does have to admit they do provide very innovative out-of-the-box designs.

Someone will always value that sort of engineering skill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello everyone

I was just wondering that there is often a lot of mention of independents but somehow Christoph Claret, despite his many excellent and complex pieces is not always highlighted..is it that we expect independent horology to always be three hander with small seconds at six o'clock :) Claret's deisgns and pieces have more modern look and feel, but I see a supreme excellence in them that does not recieve its due share of mention and highlight in my opinion...please share your views and any owner experiences would be wonderful.

warm regards, and stay safe
Saw one in Vegas on display, $xxx,xxx, out of reach

1 - 14 of 14 Posts