WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Omega have diver watches covered, chronographs and dress watches, but where are modern versions of the classic military watches as worn by the Royal Air Force in the 40s and 50s?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
A good question, especially when considering just how collectable the Omega 53 and WWWs are to some folks. I can only assume that as Hamilton do 'modern' field watches aplenty, that the Swatch group must already consider this area covered in their overall lineup?:think:

A modern rendition of the 30T2 would be nice though.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
check out the museum collection. I'm sure the one I was interested in was similar to that. Just can't remember the number and name on top of my head right now.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Well, it's been over ten years, but Omega did produce the Dynamic a while back:

However nowadays I suspect that this ground has been filled by Timefactors and MKII so effectively that Omega wouldn't dare produce a simple unadorned military watch as these two have raised their game to a point at which a simple Omega just wouldn't be better enough to justify the 10X markup over, say the PRS 53.

http://www.watcharoo.co.uk/prs53.htm

I'm very fond of my Dynamic, but I honestly think that the PRS53 is a better watch which is a far more effective homage to the Omegas of the period.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That Omega Dynamic looks really nice, although I still prefer the original font.

The PRS53 copied the "fat arrow" tritium replacement dial, which wasn't half as nice as the original Omega radium dial in my opinion!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
As many Fleiger style or whatever watches that are being churned out by other companies these days, it'd be a pretty hard market to break into... Besides, the current Railmaster would be so similar it'd hardly warrant a new line of watches...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Perhaps it's because everyone is so obsessed with large watches that Omega doesn't think there's a large enough market for a smaller watch.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Perhaps it's because everyone is so obsessed with large watches that Omega doesn't think there's a large enough market for a smaller watch.

Sad to relate, but not everyone respects the classic dimensions!

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
You know Joe, I have had a Bonclip waiting for absolutely ages and now, finally, I have a proper early 6b /159 returning from the spa to fit it on. Your WWW and '53 remind me why. Now I only have to find a late /159 and your two...

Does it never end?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts