WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Why is there no modern military/RAF style Omegas?

5K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  WatchObsession 
#1 · (Edited)
Omega have diver watches covered, chronographs and dress watches, but where are modern versions of the classic military watches as worn by the Royal Air Force in the 40s and 50s?

See less See more
#2 ·
A good question, especially when considering just how collectable the Omega 53 and WWWs are to some folks. I can only assume that as Hamilton do 'modern' field watches aplenty, that the Swatch group must already consider this area covered in their overall lineup?:think:

A modern rendition of the 30T2 would be nice though.

#9 ·
Well, it's been over ten years, but Omega did produce the Dynamic a while back:

However nowadays I suspect that this ground has been filled by Timefactors and MKII so effectively that Omega wouldn't dare produce a simple unadorned military watch as these two have raised their game to a point at which a simple Omega just wouldn't be better enough to justify the 10X markup over, say the PRS 53.

http://www.watcharoo.co.uk/prs53.htm

I'm very fond of my Dynamic, but I honestly think that the PRS53 is a better watch which is a far more effective homage to the Omegas of the period.

#18 ·
You know Joe, I have had a Bonclip waiting for absolutely ages and now, finally, I have a proper early 6b /159 returning from the spa to fit it on. Your WWW and '53 remind me why. Now I only have to find a late /159 and your two...

Does it never end?

#27 ·
Here's an example of an original Longines WWW, commonly referred to as the Greenlander. It's estimated that only 5000 of these were delivered to the British Army. If that estimate is correct, given that it almost 70 years ago, there can't be too many of that number still around. Fairly sure though the caseback on this one is not original to the watch (the number on the lug should match the one second from top on the caseback).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1945-Longines...ViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item3ef9ff79b0

#28 ·
I've had a response from Omega on the subject:

they said they have 3 military style watches in their current catalog (all of which I think are hideous!)

5700.50.07 – Limited Edition (4,938) museum collection, Pilots model
5702.50.02 - Limited Edition (1,945) museum collection, Officers model
3291.50.00 – Speedmaster Multifunction, Titanium on titanium

And they said that Omega has no plans to produce anything Military themed in the near future.

o|

#30 ·
I've had a response from Omega on the subject:

they said they have 3 military style watches in their current catalog (all of which I think are hideous!)

5700.50.07 - Limited Edition (4,938) museum collection, Pilots model
5702.50.02 - Limited Edition (1,945) museum collection, Officers model
3291.50.00 - Speedmaster Multifunction, Titanium on titanium

And they said that Omega has no plans to produce anything Military themed in the near future.

o|
The last one is the X33. Still in the catalogue but "Sold Out"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.