WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know why there is no Patek Thread in the Watch Brands section? Looking for some info in the brand.

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
One of two reasons:

1) There is not enough traffic to warrant a separate thread; or
2) There is no one paying to sponsor a separate PP thread.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
13,514 Posts
Just start a thread with your questions.
There are a few owners here, and plenty of aficionados who will help with whatever they know.

TRF has a dedicated group which is very knowledgeable.

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
So many watches, So little time...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
WatchProSite too has a very active Patek Philippe forum with plenty of participants. You’ll get most of the information for almost all references there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
WatchProSite too has a very active Patek Philippe forum with plenty of participants. You’ll get most of the information for almost all references there.
Agree that they have a very active Patek site. The Rolex Forums have an active Patek forum that is very helpful as well.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Agree that they have a very active Patek site. The Rolex Forums have an active Patek forum that is very helpful as well.
I couldn’t stay there for long. My experience there was not good at all. I found their moderators very autocratic and snobbish.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I couldn’t stay there for long. My experience there was not good at all. I found their moderators very autocratic and snobbish.
Which one are you referring to, WatchProSite or the Rolex Forums?
I was referring to the Rolex Forum dear. The Rolex Forum was dominated by very partisan Rolex fans who didn't like anyone to say against their opinion. That's what my brief experience there a year ago was. I may be wrong.

WatchProSite is a club of real gentlemen indeed.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
This subject has come up a few times and I have never seen an official answer from WUS on the matter - and I'm not sure why?

It seems bizarre to me that we have an ALS section for example - which last time I looked had virtually no traffic whatsoever - and yet we have no Patek forum.

Love Patek or hate them, the general consensus would be that they make the finest watches in the world bar none (PLEASE LET'S NOT TURN THIS INTO A DEBATE - I'm just saying that this is the general consensus)

So why WUS? Why don't we have a Patek section?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Perhaps a "Holy Trinity" section encompassing the 3 would be appropriate? I don't know the methodology for choosing since it would impossible to include EVERY brand but just an idea. I'll put a note in the suggestion box:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Love Patek or hate them, the general consensus would be that they make the finest watches in the world bar none (PLEASE LET'S NOT TURN THIS INTO A DEBATE - I'm just saying that this is the general consensus)
Not here to debate what Patek is... but... if you will kindly allow me, may I question something else you stated?

Can you please share with us what "general consensus" you think is? Is it when 80% of the people agree on something? Or 55%?

Also... what kind of people?

a) those who, eg, know about movements?
b) those who don't?
c) those who know how to spell the word Rolex + that's about it?
d) those who post here?
e) those who do not like Lange? (those who like them are, obviously, excluded from the consensus)
f) Nautilus-wannabe-owners?

I believe it is important to know who the consenting parties are - age-of-consent laws are there for a reason, after all...

-- h

PS "bar none", too!!! I really need to find out the whereabouts of this consensus; so far it has escaped me (unlike, say, the Rolex/Grand Seiko/Lange etc etc consensus)

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Not here to debate what Patek is... but... if you will kindly allow me, may I question something else you stated?

Can you please share with us what "general consensus" you think is? Is it when 80% of the people agree on something? Or 55%?

Also... what kind of people?

a) those who, eg, know about movements?
b) those who don't?
c) those who know how to spell the word Rolex + that's about it?
d) those who post here?
e) those who do not like Lange? (those who like them are, obviously, excluded from the consensus)
f) Nautilus-wannabe-owners?

I believe it is important to know who the consenting parties are - age-of-consent laws are there for a reason, after all...

-- h

PS "bar none", too!!! I really need to find out the whereabouts of this consensus; so far it has escaped me (unlike, say, the Rolex/Grand Seiko/Lange etc etc consensus)
These are fair questions but I don't intend to go through them from a) to f) because I obviously will not have detailed scientific answers - and even if I did I'm not sure they would satisfy you?

What I do know - having read hundreds of books; being a member of many forums; having read numerous articles online and having visited many AD's (even those that don't stock Patek - and my favourite AD doesn't) is that ALL - without exception - regard Patek as recognised as the greatest haute horology brand. Even if they don't like them for whatever reason (marketing, aesthetics, price etc). Something has to be recognised as number one in the watch world and Patek (outside of WIS that would name Rolex) would say, begrudgingly or otherwise, Patek.

If you disagree then please name who you think would be issued with that status and give your reasons why?

PS - I have ALS, Rolex, AP, JLC and the list goes on. I'm not wedded to Patek.

·
Registered
602 Posts
that ALL - without exception - regard Patek as recognised as the greatest haute horology brand
Did you ask them what they mean by "greatest" (also "recognised")?

1. most popular (ie highest secondary-market prices - think 5711 + Daytona)
  2. "greatest" because it has the best PR so it has made everybody think they are the "greatest", hence they are (in other words: I - harryst - say Patek is the best because I think everybody ELSE thinks Patek is the best; and - guess what - they think so because they think that everybody ELSE thinks they are the best) :-!
  3. currently-trending-on-Instagram
  4. used prices do not suffer
...if you asked them a little bit harder you would probably have gotten answers all over the map. Which means "no answer at all" (happens all the time when I try to question people's statements/assessments; intellectual lassitude comes out swinging...)

Something has to be recognised as number one
It does? How come? I missed that lesson apparently... (does this apply to other things, too? Eg is there any woman that is recognised as number one? Any city? Any car/wine/song/university/law-firm/neighborhood/religion?)

If you disagree then please name who you think would be issued with that status and give your reasons why?
No company would or should be. There is - maybe - number one re durability (case? movement?), finishing, price appreciation, history, technical prowess,....

Now IF it was the same company that was first in every - or even most - dimensions, then maybe. But... there is NONE - far from it.

I have ALS, Rolex, AP, JLC and the list goes on. I'm not wedded to Patek.
I can see your sig :)

-- h

PS1 Arguably Lange beats Patek (+ everybody else) in most tangible dimensions (except accuracy, as I understand. And heritage)
PS2 If A beats B most of the time, B cannot be the "greatest" ("bar none" - even more so)
PS3 You may want to bring the above 2 points to the attention of the Patek-is-undisputadly-1st crowd, to see their reaction
PS4 The "general consensus" is, I am afraid, the consensus of the sheep. A while back the "general consensus" was that the earth is flat (I even remember having a fight with my father about it, when I was 6-or-7; was definitely on the flat-earth camp at the time...)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
My favorite ice cream flavor is strawberry. I know for sure that the general consensus is that it's the best flavor. Everyone knows that's true. :)

Sorry, but with all due respect, and having read your following post, I still don't buy it. Too subjective. It would be easy to make an argument for (just as an example) Philippe Dufour, if you choose to value the ultimate in hand finishing over all else. Or perhaps, if you are most interested in the ultimate in complications, Christophe Claret. There are other obvious examples.

My point is, it's fun to debate these (civilly), but I simply don't believe there is one "right answer", nor that I should rely on self-appointed experts who do blogs or magazine articles to provide the "right" answer.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Did you ask them what they mean by "greatest" (also "recognised")?

1. most popular (ie highest secondary-market prices - think 5711 + Daytona)
  2. "greatest" because it has the best PR so it has made everybody think they are the "greatest", hence they are (in other words: I - harryst - say Patek is the best because I think everybody ELSE thinks Patek is the best; and - guess what - they think so because they think that everybody ELSE thinks they are the best) :-!
  3. currently-trending-on-Instagram
  4. used prices do not suffer
...if you asked them a little bit harder you would probably have gotten answers all over the map. Which means "no answer at all" (happens all the time when I try to question people's statements/assessments; intellectual lassitude comes out swinging...)

It does? How come? I missed that lesson apparently... (does this apply to other things, too? Eg is there any woman that is recognised as number one? Any city? Any car/wine/song/university/law-firm/neighborhood/religion?)

No company would or should be. There is - maybe - number one re durability (case? movement?), finishing, price appreciation, history, technical prowess,....

Now IF it was the same company that was first in every - or even most - dimensions, then maybe. But... there is NONE - far from it.

I can see your sig :)

-- h

PS1 Arguably Lange beats Patek (+ everybody else) in most tangible dimensions (except accuracy, as I understand. And heritage)
PS2 If A beats B most of the time, B cannot be the "greatest" ("bar none" - even more so)
PS3 You may want to bring the above 2 points to the attention of the Patek-is-undisputadly-1st, to see their reaction
PS4 The "general consensus" is, I am afraid to say, the consensus of the sheep. A while back the "general consensus" was that the earth is flat (I even remember having a fight with my father about it, when I was 6-or-7)
My favorite ice cream flavor is strawberry. I know for sure that the general consensus is that it's the best flavor. Everyone knows that's true. :)

Sorry, but with all due respect, and having read your following post, I still don't buy it. Too subjective. It would be easy to make an argument for (just as an example) Philippe Dufour, if you choose to value the ultimate in hand finishing over all else. Or perhaps, if you are most interested in the ultimate in complications, Christophe Claret. There are other obvious examples.

My point is, it's fun to debate these (civilly), but I simply don't believe there is one "right answer", nor that I should rely on self-appointed experts who do blogs or magazine articles to provide the "right" answer.
I genuinely think, that for whatever reason, you are both getting a bit more hung up on this than I am? Maybe I move in different circles, read different books or talk to strange AD's? Who knows? We all experience the world through our own eyes and ears.

So - Ok Patek isn't the best. All brands are equal. Except ermmmm Seiko. There you go. Debate over.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I genuinely think, that for whatever reason, you are both getting a bit more hung up on this than I am? Maybe I move in different circles, read different books or talk to strange AD's? Who knows? We all experience the world through our own eyes and ears.

So - Ok Patek isn't the best. All brands are equal. Except ermmmm Seiko. There you go. Debate over.
...despite the fact that you asked a question earlier (to which I made an honest effort to answer), you are posting this light-hearted (+ basically content-free) dismissive response (although I consider myself a perceptive person, I have to admit I did not realize said question was rhetorical/not-meant-to-be-answered). Cute :-d

1 - 20 of 36 Posts