WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Amphibia 710 710 on the way, and after some searching I still don't know why they're called "ministry" cases.
Which ministry? Did a minister wear them and make them famous? Do they minister to the needs of those who like bigger cases?
Just curious.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I've got a Amphibia 710 710 on the way, and after some searching I still don't know why they're called "ministry" cases.
Which ministry? Did a minister wear them and make them famous? Do they minister to the needs of those who like bigger cases?
Just curious.

You hit the nail. Ten years ago and more, it was a pretty common habit among Russian watch sellers to assign some flamboyant names to differentiate the models, hence the various "KGB" watches (often sold as really used by KGB) and similar stuff. The bigger case was listed as "Ministry" by one seller - don't remember which ministry was at the time, nor the seller indeed...That nickname, albeit cheesy, quickly became the easiest way to identify that type of case. Some year after, things have improved and now proper codes are used to identify Vostok cases, but the "ministry" nickname is still in use and somewhat is still a meaningless, yet immediate way to identify that large case.

·
Registered
766 Posts
That is interesting Michele, I always knew that the KGB deal was a bit fake, but I was always under the impression that the "ministry" case was a design that was approved, created, or whatever by the Soviet military at the time. You learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Great thread. I was wondering the same thing, but never asked the question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts