WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just got my new gulfmaster GWN-1000B yesterday. It's raining yesterday so when I did some settings and watch showed "charge" I just left it alone. Today is cloudy I put the watch on a table in garden for a few hours (around 3 hours). I can see "M TIME" so I just start to setting CITY/DST/DATE/TIME info. But just less than 20 minutes, it shows "Charge" again.

Is it normal that the first time I need to charge under sunny day for 22+ hours then I can get a stable "M"?

Also, I live in Sydney, so seems I'm not able to use "Radio controlled Atomic Timekeeping", should I turn "auto receive" to off?

Thanks for any comments in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
Very Much Normal!! Strongly suggest you put it in a sunlit window for a few days ( or longer ) and DO NOT futz with it , try to set it , or do anything at all . Look at it only after a few days , and if is in the M position, give it 3 or 4 more days, and if it is in the H Position give it another couple-three days to get ‘well’ into the H range. Then and only then go through the procedures for setting the watch. After this you are good to go! And yes you can turn auto receive to off if you like, judg69

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Hi guys,

I just got my new gulfmaster GWN-1000B yesterday. It's raining yesterday so when I did some settings and watch showed "charge" I just left it alone. Today is cloudy I put the watch on a table in garden for a few hours (around 3 hours). I can see "M TIME" so I just start to setting CITY/DST/DATE/TIME info. But just less than 20 minutes, it shows "Charge" again.

Is it normal that the first time I need to charge under sunny day for 22+ hours then I can get a stable "M"?

Also, I live in Sydney, so seems I'm not able to use "Radio controlled Atomic Timekeeping", should I turn "auto receive" to off?

Thanks for any comments in advance.
Ditto above^^

The watch may be new, but of course that doesn't mean it hasn't sat in a shop/warehouse for months on end since manufacture, so you could say it's "normal" for the battery be low.

The L/M/H are just ranges and there's no accurate way to tell at which point in those ranges the charge is at. M is the "biggest" range so even if the watch is on H then quickly drops to M it will be fine to use and wear because of the amount of time it will take to drop out of M, if that makes sense?

Take a look at the manual and it will have a section describing battery charging times, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yeah..... if you don't have atomic time signal reception in your location, turn that feature off.

I agree with all the rest. It takes a fair bit of time to charge. You can speed it up in direct sunlight, but you need to watch the temperature of the watch. In some locales, direct sun can really cook the watch. Alternatively, you can use a bright source of artificial light, like this gizmo available on Amazon. It flat out works (much faster than sitting in a window / indirect light) and won't cook your watch.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Just leave it out. Don't buy gimmicky lights and waste energy. The sun is plenty, even when it's cloudy.
But, slower and you have to leave it outside, unattended. The CoolFire is MUCH brighter than the sun behind a cloud... and almost as bright as direct sun.... and I can prove it. :) And, it won't bake your watch, and you don't have to worry about a critter or a person walking (or flying) off with it. I'm actually putting together an article as we speak.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
But, slower and you have to leave it outside, unattended. The CoolFire is MUCH brighter than the sun behind a cloud... and almost as bright as direct sun.... and I can prove it. :) And, it won't bake your watch, and you don't have to worry about a critter or a person walking (or flying) off with it. I'm actually putting together an article as we speak.
It doesn't get hot? That's good at least, forgetting a watch in the sun isn't good (know through experience). Question is how efficiently it charges though. What's the wattage on that thing? That's a white LED, I've head infrared is the most efficient wavelength of solar panels but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
It doesn't get hot? That's good at least, forgetting a watch in the sun isn't good (know through experience). Question is how efficiently it charges though. What's the wattage on that thing? That's a white LED, I've head infrared is the most efficient wavelength of solar panels but don't quote me on that.
Sitting on the LED CoolFire for many hours... the watch will get perceptibly warm, but that's it. Leave it out in the direct sun, and it can get quite hot.

Anecdotally (and I didn't time it), but the CoolFire works quite efficiently. Way faster than a window sill, for sure.

I'm writing up what I hope will be a "comprehensive" / practical review of charging solar watches. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi gentlemen thanks a lot for your comments, this is really helpful as I'm new to G-Shock, the reason of I bought it is that I like fishing (rock or boat) a rugged watch seems a must.

Today is sunny in Sydney, so I put the watch at the window of bathroom. I'm planning to charge it during this weekend see if it can hit to "H".

There are a few other things appreciate your help:

1: I heard the back of the watch will give some information like where and when it's manufactured. Can anyone help to explain mine?

2: I found during charging, the time seems stops, the second hand doesn't tick, and the digital display flashes every 2~3 seconds (The date/time is not correct as I haven't set it yet), just stay at the picture shows. If I press "B" button, it won't display the battery info. Is that correct or did I do any wrong settings (I can't remember...)?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah..... if you don't have atomic time signal reception in your location, turn that feature off.

I agree with all the rest. It takes a fair bit of time to charge. You can speed it up in direct sunlight, but you need to watch the temperature of the watch. In some locales, direct sun can really cook the watch. Alternatively, you can use a bright source of artificial light, like this gizmo available on Amazon. It flat out works (much faster than sitting in a window / indirect light) and won't cook your watch.

View attachment 15535484
Never knew such a thing existed! Thanks! I just ordered one. I hate when it’s Saturday morning, I decide to grab a G shock and it’s dead. This little buddy can hopefully get it boosted up enough while i drink my coffee. I appreciate the recommendation.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Never knew such a thing existed! Thanks! I just ordered one. I hate when it’s Saturday morning, I decide to grab a G shock and it’s dead. This little buddy can hopefully get it boosted up enough while i drink my coffee. I appreciate the recommendation.
Well, it doesn’t charge it up that fast. I have one, and although I haven’t tested it in any specific technical sense, it’s about as bright as a keychain flashlight. It’s sort of a trickle charger, if you will...what it makes up for in dimness is the duration. You can charge it at that intensity for hours and days on end.

If your watch is dead, I would do a well lit windowsill during the day, and this Coolfire thing at night. But if your watch is dead, charging it up for 15 minutes on it won’t do much at all, I suspect.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I would do a well lit windowsill during the day, and this Coolfire thing at night.
Actually, the Coolfire is better than the windowsill. About 5X better. And, I can prove it (of course). :geek:

The windowsill will work, of course. But, it will take longer than the Coolfire.

Stay tuned for an upcoming article!

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I’m curious to read your findings! I have a lux meter and a windowsill for me (in sunlight that is) is a much higher reading than my desk lamp, and the lamp is a much higher reading than the CoolFire charger.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Here are some quick photos I just took to demonstrate. The meter is a cheap one so if it’s flawed, or if the numbers don’t link as nicely as we’d like to charging level for a solar panel, who knows. But interesting for discussion.

Slightly overcast day, windowsill.

Nightstand, LED lamp, at a distance the watches are if I leave it on like this:

Right up against the LED lamp, which I can do if I turn the gooseneck upside down. They get warm that way, though.

...and the CoolFire.

If it says x10, add a 0 to the reading; if if x100, add two 0’s.

For what it’s worth!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I’m curious to read your findings! I have a lux meter and a windowsill for me (in sunlight that is) is a much higher reading than my desk lamp, and the lamp is a much higher reading than the CoolFire charger.
Then there is something wrong with your luxmeter or your CoolFire.

Are you reading the Luxmeter correctly? Using the right range?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts