WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Here are some quick photos I just took to demonstrate. The meter is a cheap one so if it’s flawed, or if the numbers don’t link as nicely as we’d like to charging level for a solar panel, who knows. But interesting for discussion.

Slightly overcast day, windowsill.

Nightstand, LED lamp, at a distance the watches are if I leave it on like this:

Right up against the LED lamp, which I can do if I turn the gooseneck upside down. They get warm that way, though.

...and the CoolFire.

If it says x10, add a 0 to the reading; if if x100, add two 0’s.

For what it’s worth!
So your window is 20,100... about right.

Your desk lamp is 5,540 lux. OK.... believable.

On the desklamp bulb: 88,400. Also believable at contact distance.

Your CoolFire is reading 345 lux??? Something is very, very wrong. Are you running it on the USB power? Or batteries? It should be so bright you can't look at it directly. No kidding.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
On USB. It’s not so bright that I can’t look at it. Maybe it’s been defective this whole time and I didn’t know because of the single sample size.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
If I look directly into my coolfire briefly I see nothing but spots for a while, it should be pretty bright

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
On USB. It’s not so bright that I can’t look at it. Maybe it’s been defective this whole time and I didn’t know because of the single sample size.
Yeah... something ain't right. Mine is super bright. I can't look directly at it, even for a split second without seeing spots like Dxnnis is saying.

Is it possible it's your USB power source? Try another USB plug / transformer thingy. Or maybe it's the cord?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
If you are you using a USB switching power supply, maybe it doesn't supply enough current. They vary widely in mA rating. For example, the one for my BT headset is rated only 180 mA, while the one for my tablet is rated 1350 mA. The device should only draw what it needs, so using a higher-rated supply won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi gentlemen thanks a lot for your comments, this is really helpful as I'm new to G-Shock, the reason of I bought it is that I like fishing (rock or boat) a rugged watch seems a must.

Today is sunny in Sydney, so I put the watch at the window of bathroom. I'm planning to charge it during this weekend see if it can hit to "H".
View attachment 15536474

There are a few other things appreciate your help:

1: I heard the back of the watch will give some information like where and when it's manufactured. Can anyone help to explain mine?
View attachment 15536472

2: I found during charging, the time seems stops, the second hand doesn't tick, and the digital display flashes every 2~3 seconds (The date/time is not correct as I haven't set it yet), just stay at the picture shows. If I press "B" button, it won't display the battery info. Is that correct or did I do any wrong settings (I can't remember...)?
View attachment 15536473
my ol deyes cant handle a busy dial like that but I love the way it looks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi gentlemen,

This is a follow-up update regarding my Gulfmaster.

As per suggested I left it alone in the garden on Friday and Saturday (both Cloudy/Sunny in Sydney) to receive enough light for charging.

Saturday night I checked the battery power and found it's "H TIME" already. So I followed the guide to set the CITY/DST/DATE/TIME stuff. But what weird was that during TIME setting it again showed "CHARGE", I only operated it for less than 10 minutes, how could a "H TIME" lose power to "CHARGE" so quickly? And what made it even worse was that after another few minutes the digital display didn't display "CHARGE" anymore, but displayed a wrong date instead, and all time handles stopped ticking. No matter what button I pressed, there was no response at all.

Just for safety purposes, I had another day of charging on Sunday. But the watch seems "DEAD", the H/M/S handles didn't tick and no response to any key/button pressing. This is how it looks like now.

To be frankly, I'm now worried whether it is a defected one. I purchased from OzDigitalWatch online, it is an authorised Casio reseller/stocklist in Australia so I think it could be just unlucky. I sent an email to them this morning and describe what happened to my watch, see if I can get the problem resolved.

Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
Hi gentlemen,

This is a follow-up update regarding my Gulfmaster.

As per suggested I left it alone in the garden on Friday and Saturday (both Cloudy/Sunny in Sydney) to receive enough light for charging.

Saturday night I checked the battery power and found it's "H TIME" already. So I followed the guide to set the CITY/DST/DATE/TIME stuff. But what weird was that during TIME setting it again showed "CHARGE", I only operated it for less than 10 minutes, how could a "H TIME" lose power to "CHARGE" so quickly? And what made it even worse was that after another few minutes the digital display didn't display "CHARGE" anymore, but displayed a wrong date instead, and all time handles stopped ticking. No matter what button I pressed, there was no response at all.

Just for safety purposes, I had another day of charging on Sunday. But the watch seems "DEAD", the H/M/S handles didn't tick and no response to any key/button pressing. This is how it looks like now.

View attachment 15539117

To be frankly, I'm now worried whether it is a defected one. I purchased from OzDigitalWatch online, it is an authorised Casio reseller/stocklist in Australia so I think it could be just unlucky. I sent an email to them this morning and describe what happened to my watch, see if I can get the problem resolved.

Will keep you updated.
these are 6 years old now so its not too impossible that it could have spent at least a couple years on a completely dead battery, which is the worse thing for these rechargables. a new battery will have it up and running so hopefully ozdw sorts it for you.

as for the charging, im up in brissie and charge all of mine exactly like you have there with a gap in the fly screen or near a window. yes they can get warm in summer but it doesnt affect them AT ALL (just dont go leaving it on the dash of your car) and if you keep them reasonably topped up by wearing it regularly, you dont even need to leave them there for that long or at all.

welcome aboard mate, hope you get it sorted, theyre great watches 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got the response from
these are 6 years old now so its not too impossible that it could have spent at least a couple years on a completely dead battery, which is the worse thing for these rechargables. a new battery will have it up and running so hopefully ozdw sorts it for you.

as for the charging, im up in brissie and charge all of mine exactly like you have there with a gap in the fly screen or near a window. yes they can get warm in summer but it doesnt affect them AT ALL (just dont go leaving it on the dash of your car) and if you keep them reasonably topped up by wearing it regularly, you dont even need to leave them there for that long or at all.

welcome aboard mate, hope you get it sorted, theyre great watches 👍

My workmate has a MudMaster, that's the one he recommended. But I favor more on water so GulfMaster is my choice, and it looks cool!

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
A quick update: I got the response from OZDigitalWatch this morning (really swift) to return the watch for a double check/replacement. Have mailed it this afternoon.
If watch sat in the dark for quite a time or was overheated ...

Many of them do bounce back after month of charging or so...but only after dark treatment.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts