WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
No. However, there is a story to tell.

The name “Damasko” is known to the watch world here in Germany since 1994 and was always connected to technical research and development. For some time DAMASKO and SINN had been in co-operation, the Damasko & Sinn GmbH Innovativer Deutscher Uhrenbau, Unterheising 17 c, 93092 Barbing, was founded on that occasion.

In the end of 2002 they discontinued their joint venture. Sinn became engaged in the SUG at Glashütte, Damasko went its own way. Why they split up is their secret, you need to ask Damasko or/ans Sinn. As far as I know nobody knows the reasoning.

There has been only one Sinn//Damasko ice hardened case (until end of 2002) - the Sinn 756 I, the 756 II was already tegimented: "Dieser Edelstahl, der auch wegen seiner speziellen Wärmebehandlung eisgehärteter, nickelfreier Edelstahl genannt wird, ist von unserem Haus für den Einsatz im Uhrgehäusebau patentrechtlich geschützt, und als komplettes Gehäuse inklusive von uns hergestellten und gehärteten Drücker und Krone an einen Deutschen Uhrenhersteller bis Ende 2002 geliefert worden." (This stainless steel, which is also called ice-hardened, nickel-free stainless steel because of its special heat treatment, is patented by our company for use in watch case construction, and was delivered to a German watch manufacturer (read Sinn) as a complete case including pushers and crown manufactured and hardened by us until the end of 2002.)"
Thanks for the background info, Mike.

I have always wondered about the similarity of Damasko, Sinn, and Tutima center-minute chronographs. Are you aware of any cooperation between these companies on development?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Not sure which came first... or if they're both based on some other obscure classic, military design specs, or whatever. But the Sinn 556 I RS seems awfully similar to the Damasko pic in the OP.

Truth be told, much as I respect both Damasko and Sinn, I could wish for a less expensive option than either, especially since the styling is fairly generic (albeit "just right" IMO)..
Well, Damasko used to make cases for Sinn, so there is that...

Show me where to find Damasko knock-offs, if you are right I will be amazed. I didn’t think there was a market for it.
I've seen them on Ali. Didn't pay attention to them, got no interest in that.
Sorry but I think you’re being naive. There are copies of pretty much every watch - you’ll find Christopher Ward ripoffs, ripoffs of Damasko and Sinn…
Correct, but it is a lot cheaper to make a homage watch with the standard rolex like oyster case.
Heck, San Martin even makes a "homage" of a Grand Seiko Diver :rolleyes:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Show me where to find Damasko knock-offs, if you are right I will be amazed. I didn’t think there was a market for it.
I spent some time looking (even posted a thread asking for similar to Damasko) and i couldn't find very close. If you say similar...well of the 2 million watch designs...theres alot similar to anything.

I will confess i was hoping to buy something decent for under $200. But similar is all i found.
When i hear homage. I'm thinking someone did some copying

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
This has taken a turn for the odd. Posts are usually about why homages are bad, cheapens the brand, lost, borrowed or stolen valor and now, a complaint about why a brand isn't homaged. If I had to sally forth with a reason I'd say it's because damasko doesn't make good enough looking watches for it to be stolen nicked borrowed homaged by a chinese brand.

·
Registered
445 Posts
This has taken a turn for the odd. Posts are usually about why homages are bad, cheapens the brand, lost, borrowed or stolen valor and now, a complaint about why a brand isn't homaged. If I had to sally forth with a reason I'd say it's because damasko doesn't make good enough looking watches for it to be stolen nicked borrowed homaged by a chinese brand.
Could be. It's certainly an acquired taste and a pretty niche design for a pretty niche clientele. My guess is those everyday customers interested in pure minimalism will go for something dressier and those looking for something eye-catching will go for a diver. The super-utilitarian design of the DK30/556 seems more like a byproduct of marketing a watch whose USP is durability (ie being scratch-proof and anti-magnetic). So they're really watches made for people who care what's happening under the hood. And that immediately disqualifies the vast majprity of your average watch buyers.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Its because the average person doesn't know what a Damasko is. The reason watches like Rolex's are faked is because they are an international household name and status symbol that are out of reach for many. I love Damasko, but the average Joe doesn't say, "when I hit the lotto, I'm buying a Damasko."

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Its because the average person doesn't know what a Damasko is. The reason watches like Rolex's are faked is because they are an international household name and status symbol that are out of reach for many. I love Damasko, but the average Joe doesn't say, "when I hit the lotto, I'm buying a Damasko."
so true
That and Asia has been making rolex knockoff cases forever - they are a dime a dozen (ok, well the full watch cost $10 in Thailand).

·
Premium Member
9,286 Posts
Not gonna do it on principal - I’m not here to facilitate someone buying a rip-off watch - and I don’t care enough to prove you wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,286 Posts
Who is buying a ripoff watch? I assume most of the people in this group like myself are Damasko owners. I was just curious to see one, go take a 5min timeout and cool off.
I’m cool as a cucumber and still not interested despite attempts to goad me. Cheers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well, I made the mess...so I'll try to sweep up.
My point wasn't to complain that there aren't enough homages out there. I just see some pretty cheap stuff with a clone. And although Damasko isn't a household name - they are
1. unique
2. sell fast
3. simple
I was thinking Germany might have a more aggressive attack on copies or something.

I will confess though, that ANY MAKER who makes 0 attempt to deceive (with logo's or names) doesn't bother me. No-one who buys a Parnis thought it was actually a Rolex.
I just saw a Seiko and a Sinn that looked like one copied the other but I doubt they did. With that few variables and that many watches - some are going to look alike

·
Registered
786 Posts
I spent some time looking (even posted a thread asking for similar to Damasko) and i couldn't find very close. If you say similar...well of the 2 million watch designs...theres alot similar to anything.

I will confess i was hoping to buy something decent for under $200. But similar is all i found.
When i hear homage. I'm thinking someone did some copying

Lotta DA36 vibe in this little beasty.
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Font

21 - 40 of 69 Posts