WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Its nice that people complain and wonder about paying less for something they want. Fans boys aside who here is thrilled about paying more for watches that they can not have, not me. The whole supply restricted approach is getting to people now. When it started it was nobody's fault, things just turned out that way, it was nobody's fault and people accepted that.

By now its clear that flippers are behind the scenes driving prices up and brands think its good marketing that their models are "very desireable" but that is actually very arrogant. I remember seeing a youtube video where a flipper was upset that Rolex launched the SkyDweller in Steel and Two Tone. People like that were the only ones upset at a more accessible SkyDweller, the end consumer was quite happy getting the same functions for less money.

I got on to the Rolex wagon just before the whole thing, but a SkyDweller was my second and last Rolex. There are other models I like but until the madness ends Rolex is on hold because of principle. If I want to pay money to be mistreated I would rather go to a Dominatrix and not a Rolex AD. There are more comments nowadays from watch people who are fed up too. And if marketing thinks that does not matter, then they do not know that people believe friends and family more than glossy ads.

As for Omega its not an arrogant brand, just see what happened to the Speedmaster Snoopy. So the 50th Anniversary, Apollo 11 was not 1969 pieces. If it was, flippers would be asking 20K for it now on Chrono24. Because you can actually buy Omegas they are more enjoyable. They whole business model of Manufacturers + AD + Flippers 🍆 Consumers is fundamentally flawed.

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
I recently been researching the history of speedmasters. I could never get into Omega until I came across the Speedmaster 321...

This will be my next watch and my first Omega. They really checked the right boxes with this model.

In my research it also made me realize how the watch community treats Omega with higher standards than Rolex. I feel like Omega is treated a lot more harshly. Always being put down when compared to Rolex. They approach watchmaking and their models vastly different from each other... And that's great.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Considering the cost of the watches it would be nice to know that the money is as “safe” as possible. I think Omega should be more worried about Tudor at this point. If Rolex can duplicate their secondary market insanity with Tudor, Omega will have even more competition.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have certainly complained quite a bit on here about the little shell game that goes on with Rolex.... AD reindeer games, grey market skullduggery, and so forth. It's aggravating to me that basic (yet extremely well-made) steel sports watches are so unavailable. I would hate to see that become the case with Omega, frankly.

Perhaps I'm in the minority there.... as I've never purchased a watch as an investment. None of my pieces get babied.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have certainly complained quite a bit on here about the little shell game that goes on with Rolex.... AD reindeer games, grey market skullduggery, and so forth. It's aggravating to me that basic (yet extremely well-made) steel sports watches are so unavailable. I would hate to see that become the case with Omega, frankly.

Perhaps I'm in the minority there.... as I've never purchased a watch as an investment. None of my pieces get babied.
I don't know if it's a minority or majority but I'm with you dobie727, I buy the watches I like and I don't baby them and I don't sell them for profit. If I sell, I sell at the lowest price possible and It's usually because I no longer use the watch.

·
Registered
11,819 Posts
Considering the cost of the watches it would be nice to know that the money is as “safe” as possible. I think Omega should be more worried about Tudor at this point. If Rolex can duplicate their secondary market insanity with Tudor, Omega will have even more competition.
Buying any luxury item where you are wanting your money “as safe as possible” is flawed. Put your money into something safer that can make you a modest return instead.

As for Tudor being a threat to Omega. No way. It’s not even close to Omega in movement manufacturing and accuracy, case shaping and finishing and the tech used in the Omega bezels etc. Tudor make great watches at a price point much lower than Omega. Great watches in their own right, but I don’t see Omega having one eye looking over their shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
As the owner of four Omegas this is a question near and dear to my heart.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Buying any luxury item where you are wanting your money “as safe as possible” is flawed. Put your money into something safer that can make you a modest return instead.

As for Tudor being a threat to Omega. No way. It’s not even close to Omega in movement manufacturing and accuracy, case shaping and finishing and the tech used in the Omega bezels etc. Tudor make great watches at a price point much lower than Omega. Great watches in their own right, but I don’t see Omega having one eye looking over their shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. I couldn’t agree more. Honestly, if you have actually handled both, I don’t see how you could ever think the two of them compare. Tudor might be competing with Omega, but Omega certainly isn’t competing with them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Reactions: Lukebennett21

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I have a 9 year old wave dial Seamaster that I love, but the prices do not go up because they launch too many models. Too many special editions. The Speedmaster lineup is a mess. Brand dilution is the main issue.

The other reason was already mentioned here. Omega (Swatch group) wants to sell as many pieces as possible. I don't blame them for that and to be honest I agree with them. I love to be able to walk in an AD and be able to buy a Moonwatch any day.

Watches are not investments. The prices for some models may go up but that is very unlikely. Anyway I still think nice watches are way better "investments" than cars. They depreciate way less.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Its nice that people complain and wonder about paying less for something they want. Fans boys aside who here is thrilled about paying more for watches that they can not have, not me. The whole supply restricted approach is getting to people now. When it started it was nobody's fault, things just turned out that way, it was nobody's fault and people accepted that.

By now its clear that flippers are behind the scenes driving prices up and brands think its good marketing that their models are "very desireable" but that is actually very arrogant. I remember seeing a youtube video where a flipper was upset that Rolex launched the SkyDweller in Steel and Two Tone. People like that were the only ones upset at a more accessible SkyDweller, the end consumer was quite happy getting the same functions for less money.

I got on to the Rolex wagon just before the whole thing, but a SkyDweller was my second and last Rolex. There are other models I like but until the madness ends Rolex is on hold because of principle. If I want to pay money to be mistreated I would rather go to a Dominatrix and not a Rolex AD. There are more comments nowadays from watch people who are fed up too. And if marketing thinks that does not matter, then they do not know that people believe friends and family more than glossy ads.

As for Omega its not an arrogant brand, just see what happened to the Speedmaster Snoopy. So the 50th Anniversary, Apollo 11 was not 1969 pieces. If it was, flippers would be asking 20K for it now on Chrono24. Because you can actually buy Omegas they are more enjoyable. They whole business model of Manufacturers + AD + Flippers 🍆 Consumers is fundamentally flawed.
I experience with buying a Rolex was very easy, ok I was looking for a datejust not one of the more sort after models. I was Christmas shopping and came across a Rolex AD, didn't even know it was there certainly never stepped foot inside or had any previous conversations with any of the staff and I definitely wasnt going to play the waiting list game. Anyway after speaking to the gent regarding the DJ and thanking him for his time I went to leave, as I got up he asked for my details and informed me my watch should be there end of January. It was overall a very pleasant experience.
But I do agree with you regarding flippers and some AD dealers and the arrogance snobbery and constant youtube videos, its all gotten way too much.
Yes I'm very happy with my DJ but I'm just as happy with my Omega, which I feel is just as good in the quality department but more advanced on the movements. I really hope the Rolex Hype goes away very soon!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I have a 9 year old wave dial Seamaster that I love, but the prices do not go up because they launch too many models. Too many special editions. The Speedmaster lineup is a mess. Brand dilution is the main issue.

The other reason was already mentioned here. Omega (Swatch group) wants to sell as many pieces as possible. I don't blame them for that and to be honest I agree with them. I love to be able to walk in an AD and be able to buy a Moonwatch any day.

Watches are not investments. The prices for some models may go up but that is very unlikely. Anyway I still think nice watches are way better "investments" than cars. They depreciate way less.
This.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Watches are not investment, so I don't get this mindset. Anyway, Rolex professional series, and a handful of models from AP and PP are the only 'safe' option if that's your mindset, which makes this hobby very limited in terms of watches worthy of consideration.

As for Tudor, as much as I love mine, it's no where near Omega in brand equity and recognition. I've yet to come across someone who's not a watch enthusiasts that have heard of the brand Tudor. I don't think they are quite at the level of Omega in quality and innovation, but I do think Tudor offers the best value for money in Swiss watches today.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
We need to differentiate between two concepts investment and value retention. People sometimes mix the two which is wrong.

4 years ago a Rolex watch would retain 80 - 90 % of its value Vs 50%- 60% for OMEGA with time its price will increase in value gradually around 5% yearly in order to retain its value as usually prices for new models increase and in order to accommodate for inflation ...etc. Again OMEGA came a long way in the last 10 years, their line up need to mature and size down to ensue better recognition and value retention.

No brand wants to be devalued because its not good for their image and prestige, this is how they ensure recognition and public perception; 99.9% will consider Seiko a manufacturer of cheap watches, and very few even among watch collectors will buy / have a Seiko although, their high end line is on bar with top Swiss watch manufactures.

We are buying luxury watches not just tool or beautiful watches and Swiss luxury watch manufacturers sells us their history, innovation, tradition in other words perception/ image, they do not price their watches on the actual manufacturing costs, if they failed to do so then their watches wont be valuable.

Personally, I buy new watches because i like to build a relationship over the years and i don't flip and i don't consider watches as investments but i like my watches to retain their values to some degree; as one day i look to pass my watches to my boys.

101 - 120 of 162 Posts