WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
People should really stop wanting Omega to resemble Rolex as a business or a product.

At the same time, Omega has done a remarkable job of being the Rolex counterbalance.

BMW/Merc
Xbox/PlayStation
Coke/Pepsi
Visa/MasterCard
Iphone/Android
Omega/Rolex

Consider the fact that Rolex and Omega frequently go hand in hand in collections and discussion as a testament to Omega’s ability to design, build, sell and market watches even if you personally approve of the tactics involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
People should really stop wanting Omega to resemble Rolex as a business or a product.
Agree, why anyone would want Omega to be another Rolex is beyond me. Rather than have people complain about prices not holding value, they would be complaining about Omega's being too hard to buy.

If omega were like Rolex, I wouldn't be wearing this... and an LE to boot.

So; 'thank you' Omega for making your watches readily available at discounts and enough LE numbers to allow us common WIS folk to buy what we actually like.

·
Premium Member
21,558 Posts
Agree, why anyone would want Omega to be a Rolex is beyond me. Rather than have people complain about prices not holding value, they would be complaining about Omega's being too hard to buy.

If omega were like Rolex, I wouldn't be wearing this... and an LE to boot.

So; 'thank you' Omega for making your watches readily available at discounts and enough LE numbers to allow us common WIS folk to buy what we actually like.
Indeed, it’s simply a question of supply and demand. You can’t get high appreciation and value retention without some combination of high demand and constrained supply, substantial year on year price increases, or models that are only available for a limited amount of time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
In the past 10 years or so, OMEGA has come a long way in improving their image and cementing their position in the Swiss Watch making companies all this thanks to their success in introducing new fine watches with Grade A in house movements, improved certification and control (Metas), better presentation and more boutiques...

However, despite all of the above one thing they were not able to achieve is exclusively and better retention of their values in secondary market... Their new watches can still be purchased with steep discounts to this date and comparing to some other brands they seems far off...

Few years back the price difference between Omega and some of the other high end Swiss brands was not so huge so why Omega failed (if I may say) to enjoy the same demand and enthusiasm despite their continuous efforts to upscale the brand? I know that watches are not investment but it would make us happier and more appreciative of the brand. In today's value Omega prices remain very low across their whole portfolio even the most desired models and I do not think they are helping the brand to gain / maintain the type of momentum they are lusting for...
I own two Omega timepieces. The 42mm Seamaster

·
Registered
196 Posts
My Speedmaster From the Moon to Mars has increased in value more than any watch I own. Mine is new in box condition. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the value has doubled what I paid for it new. It makes up for my Seamaster and Breitling Super Avenger loss in value.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Above can be said for Snoopy, Spectre, Skyfall and many other watches.
Heck whatever youbought 10 years ago is worth more today than it was 10 years ago.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think we beat this topic to death. They are not appreciating due to supply and demand. That being said, the monetary value appreciation of my Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra is tertiary to me.This is and will be my everyday watch. Would like to get a Rolex OP/DJ in the near future at MSRP and not a cent more. To me Rolex is driven by a million plus hypebeasts and the current situation in not sustainable. What goes up, has to come down one day.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would think that most buyers could care less about value retention. Most of my friends even if than can afford multiple watches don't have multiple high end watches they buy or get a present for a major event one high end watch and that's it,they don't think about it in that way.Most people that buy high end cars don't think can they sell a used Cadillac for more or less than a Lexus.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Rolex has a cult following of idiots willing to pay more than its worth ,Omega is like most others ,deals can be had and below retain IS and option.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Regarding brand recognition, and moreso on this "Internet age", secondary markets are mostly a "the winner takes all" game and this currently means "Rolex".

Basically, that's it.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
My Speedmaster From the Moon to Mars has increased in value more than any watch I own. Mine is new in box condition. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the value has doubled what I paid for it new. It makes up for my Seamaster and Breitling Super Avenger loss in value.
Don't rub it in. Years ago I saw one on clearance at an AD (that was discontinuing Omega).... and as the idiot I am I didn't buy it. :)

Plus it was my favourite none LE design

·
Registered
86 Posts
Globally, yes I am
‘you’re existing in a privileged western watch bubble. People in the most remote African village would recognise Coke. Rolex not even close. I suppose you could try “that brand with all the signs at the tennis”, and they would say “what is tennis”. You could then try Golf I suppose, but I don’t think subsistence-level farmers have much use for golf.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, I agree with you, but the grey dealers are not snapping them up from Rolex AD's as many here seem to believe.
So where do you think a grey dealer with 10+ SS subs to sell are getting them from? Of course they are from shady ADs, Rolex won’t allow the ADs to sell above their set price officially, but to a grey dealer who can keep their mouth shut, this is in both of their best interests.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
1) Supply vs demand
2) Branding/marketing
3) Many model categories

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #137

·
Registered
501 Posts
Didn't comb through the entire thread, so apologies if I am echoing someone else...but AD's discount most models 15-20%.....while Rolex does ZILCH. My wife recently sold one of her LV bags on the Real Real. LV never goes on discount. She paid around $1100. RR is paying her $975 and they will resell for $1300. her bag appreciated!! Omega probably doesn't care to have those "appreciation" bragging rights, they just want to sell a bunch of them and go volume.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Didn't comb through the entire thread, so apologies if I am echoing someone else...but AD's discount most models 15-20%.....while Rolex does ZILCH. My wife recently sold one of her LV bags on the Real Real. LV never goes on discount. She paid around $1100. RR is paying her $975 and they will resell for $1300. her bag appreciated!! Omega probably doesn't care to have those "appreciation" bragging rights, they just want to sell a bunch of them and go volume.
Good point, my missus was telling me recently about her bags appreciating as they are supply limited, much like the Rolex SS professional series. My counter point though is as a watch enthusiast, do you really want to play the Rolex game with Omega as well? Personally, I'd take easily available supply of the models I want over future appreciation of value if I decide to sell it.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
Good point, my missus was telling me recently about her bags appreciating as they are supply limited, much like the Rolex SS professional series. My counter point though is as a watch enthusiast, do you really want to play the Rolex game with Omega as well? Personally, I'd take easily available supply of the models I want over future appreciation of value if I decide to sell it.
Agreed. A watch on the wrist now is better than the possibility of money in the pocket in the future.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts