WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Omega can create an artificial demand for their watches like buying back with certain value. It need to have deep pocket first but it's long term investment. Once the hype is created, the demand and appreciation will come in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #142 (Edited)
In my opinion OMEGA needs to:

1- Ensure that steep discounts are no longer offered (discounts should be limited to PM and unpopular models).
2- Trim down their offerings, if you go to OMEGA website you will find 1776 watches are currently up for sale.
3- Reduce the frequency in which they update their line up to be around 10 years give or take.

I don't think any one wants OMEGA to be like Rolex because their prices are being appreciated due to flippers and twisted AD polices but I'm sure that if OMEGA prices increase moderately 5% - 7% per year it will make most people happy and the brand will get more appreciation...

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Disappointing really. I own a Seamaster 300m Professional that retails for almost 8k AUD as well as a Tudor 58 which retails for 5k AUD.

Second hand values?

Seamaster around 6.2k
Black Bay... 6.5k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I could speculate with the rest of the group but for now I am enjoying the access to some fantastic watches. Let’s not forget in the not too distant past when the average joe could walk into a Rolex AD and pick a SS sports model from the case.

Omega isn’t going anywhere in our lifetime. Let the good times roll.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Omega can create an artificial demand for their watches like buying back with certain value. It need to have deep pocket first but it's long term investment. Once the hype is created, the demand and appreciation will come in.
Didn’t Swatch do that recently? Last year I’m pretty sure I read that they started closing accounts and taking action against ADs unloading to gray dealers. Richemont famously bought up a ton of their own gray watches to try to stem the tide a while back, too. So where is the Rolex like hype? Rolex has never scooped up their own inventory off the gray market or reduced production contrary to what people say. Hype, appreciation, or whatever you want to call it is a combination of advertising, luck, and just plain and simple producing a superior product in most cases. The problem with artificial demand is...well, it is artificial.

Reactions: mleok

·
Registered
945 Posts

1- Ensure that steep discounts are no longer offered (discounts should be limited to PM and unpopular models).
2- Trim down their offerings, if you go to OMEGA website you will find 1776 watches are currently up for sale.
3- Reduce the frequency in which they update their line up to be around 10 years give or take.

I don't think any one wants OMEGA to be like Rolex because their prices are being appreciated due to flippers and twisted AD polices but I'm sure that if OMEGA prices increase moderately 5% - 7% per year it will make most people happy and the brand will get more appreciation...
These are the exact 3 things that I immediately thought of.

I feel they get into a rut of trying to increase sales by X% each year so Swatch can paint a good picture to their shareholders. The only way they can do this is by pushing inventory to dealers that can't move it. The dealers then increase their discounts or sell directly to GM dealers. To keep buyers interested they create more skews and redesign their product each 5-7 years.

I know there are examples of publicly traded companies that do this better but they do it on a smaller scale and are a smaller piller than what Omega represents for Swatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
They don't have the marketing domination Rolex does. Rolex is pretty much the most well known brand of anything in the world. The vast majority of the world's population has never heard of omega watches
I think James Bond from the past 2 decades has done an amazing job on marketing just from the films alone. Not just specific to Seamaster and PO models but the brand name Omega.

And who doesn't want to be like 007?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I think James Bond from the past 2 decades has done an amazing job on marketing just from the films alone. Not just specific to Seamaster and PO models but the brand name Omega.

And who doesn't want to be like 007?

I would agree with this (I certainly bought a 2531.80 due to the Bond collection) but I would prefer Omega just sell the screen used watch instead of these "007" branded gauche models.

I think rolex has quite a few watch variations as well, it's just that they rarely announce them like Omega does and they are off in the DJ and DD side where WUSers don't care. But just look at some of those diamond encrusted gaudy DJs and anything Omega puts out under the speedmaster line will seem reserved and practical :p

·
Registered
9,633 Posts

And then it wouldn't be Omega anymore....

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Globally, yes I am
I can't believe you really think this. The most recognised brand in the world, more than Coke? Not even in the top 50.

(They were 80th, just above Danone)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I like Omega because of where it is now more so than Rolex. If Omega takes over Rolex and their pieces appreciate to way above MSRP, count me out of buying anymore of their pieces.

But I buy pieces to keep for life. As for the person who keeps watches for 1-10 years, they might care more about their loss of money. But hey, you gotta pay to play!

These are material things, and dollar for dollar, Omega is a great value for their pricepoint!

Edit: All this watch nonsense is mostly vanity anyways...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I'm also failing to see the point behind all the complaining. As long as you are a net buyer of watches, i.e. buy more watches than you sell, you come out ahead (more watches per dollar) with Omega over Rolex. The only way I could see you lose money due to the current Omega price environment is if you have the bad habit of buying new watches for full price (failing to realize the discounts that are offered) and then sell them used, or if you are trying to get out of Omega watches (liquidating).
If you buy new watches with the customary (for Omega) discount, or you buy and sell used watches, the lower Omega price point is good for you: more watches per dollar, leading to either less capital locked up in watches, or (more likely for this crowd) more watches...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I'm also failing to see the point behind all the complaining. As long as you are a net buyer of watches, i.e. buy more watches than you sell, you come out ahead (more watches per dollar) with Omega over Rolex. The only way I could see you lose money due to the current Omega price environment is if you have the bad habit of buying new watches for full price (failing to realize the discounts that are offered) and then sell them used, or if you are trying to get out of Omega watches (liquidating).
If you buy new watches with the customary (for Omega) discount, or you buy and sell used watches, the lower Omega price point is good for you: more watches per dollar, leading to either less capital locked up in watches, or (more likely for this crowd) more watches...
What is the point of allowing discounts? It creates more dismay than relief... Lets say someone who is not a watch enthusiast and buy's a watch from a boutique / AD for full price and after a while he discovers that he can get the same watch brand new for 25% less with warranty, how will this makes him feel about the brand?

High end brands in fashion / luxury do not offer a discounts and you know when you walk to a boutique you get what you pay for. If OMEGA can't sell their watches at retail they should adjust their prices and stop this discount non sense. Personally, I would rather buy at full retail rather than getting 20% discount while another one gets 25% for the same watch because I will always wonder if I paid the real value of the watch.

On another note, sometimes your taste change with time and age, and you feel there is a certain piece that is not getting much wrist time which you rather sell or trade to fund another piece or maybe you have an emergency and you need some extra $, I'm sure you will be more appreciative if the watch holds its value well.
We all know this is an expensive hobby, but there is a difference between losing and LOSING...

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
What is the point of allowing discounts? It creates more dismay than relief... Lets say someone who is not a watch enthusiast and buy's a watch from a boutique / AD for full price and after a while he discovers that he can get the same watch brand new for 25% less with warranty, how will this makes him feel about the brand?

High end brands in fashion / luxury do not offer a discounts and you know when you walk to a boutique you get what you pay for. If OMEGA can't sell their watches at retail they should adjust their prices and stop this discount non sense. Personally, I would rather buy at full retail rather than getting 20% discount while another one gets 25% for the same watch because I will always wonder if I paid the real value of the watch.

On another note, sometimes your taste change with time and age, and you feel there is a certain piece that is not getting much wrist time which you rather sell or trade to fund another piece or maybe you have an emergency and you need some extra $, I'm sure you will be more appreciative if the watch holds its value well.
We all know this is an expensive hobby, but there is a difference between losing and LOSING...
Not many watch brands can’t be purchased with a slight discount, if you are a reliable customer and ask nicely.

The two brands often cited as breaking the pattern are Rolex and PP. Not sure about PP but when I purchased my PO I turned down a SubC at 20% discount. That was in late 2017; a short time in the history of many brands.

I don’t flip so I buy what I like and not what might appreciate in value.

Edit: tried on the new Subs yesterday and still prefer Omega’s offerings

·
Registered
559 Posts
As Rolex becomes further and further out of reach of most people wanting a luxury watch more people will turn to Omega to fill that void and Omega prices will rise because of it. Let's face it, we are living in a financially polarised world and it's only getting worse. I'm just like most of you here- I'm used to having a little money and power and when treated badly by Rolex sales staff I simply won't come back but turn to alternatives and Omega is their closest alternative.

141 - 160 of 162 Posts