WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I alone in thinking this mix of Roman and Arabic on the same dial is hideous? I can't understand what is appealing about this design.

Panerai-Luminor-3-Days-Titanio-DLC-6.jpg
[image from ablogtowatch.com]

Edit after gathering feedback--no, I'm not alone in thinking this design is not worthy of being perpetuated. It's an Art-Deco relic whose time is long past. RIP.

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
It's a "California" style dial. It isn't the first time that it has been used by someone (I think Panerai has been using these from the 1930s...). You will find a good deal of brands that have models with this dial. While personally it doesn't strike a chord either way (positive or negative), I don't think it's "hideous".

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I read that it was an easy way for divers to ensure their watch was properly oriented at quick glance, but not sure if that's true. I don't mind it, mainly because of tradition/heritage.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Rolex was the first to use these half-Roman, half-Arabic dials (aka California dial) in the early 20th century, using deeply recessed numerals to fill them w luminous compound.
Panerai use this dial layout in the very first production run - using Rolex 3646 movement, sterile dial and half-roman/half-arabic numerals. Not sure what the reasoning was behind it - suspect it was just to be different\unique.

The modern release is a homage (in a proper sense of the word) to that 1936-38 Panerai model run. Personally I don't care much for it. California dial has no clear purpose, but if used - looks better on white dial trench watches (Glycine and few others made good use of it).

Reactions: kyle72

·
Registered
742 Posts
While I wouldn't "kick it out of bed" so to speak, It would not be one that I would drop coin to buy...

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Don't quite get your point. For virtually any watch you will find those that hate it, some that love it, and some that don't care. Because you hate it is hardly a reason to start a thread on it. I could probably find 50 watches I hate but would never think to start a hate thread on them because there are always those who will like them. A lot of watches out there have that Cali dial. Do some research and you you will see.

This is really more about what's better, vanilla or chocolate. Personally, I can't stand vanilla. And I'm sure that is the correct view.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't quite get your point. For virtually any watch you will find those that hate it, some that love it, and some that don't care. Because you hate it is hardly a reason to start a thread on it. I could probably find 50 watches I hate but would never think to start a hate thread on them because there are always those who will like them. A lot of watdches out there have that Cali dial. Do some research and you you will see.

This is really more about what's better, vanilla or chocolate. Personally, I can't stand vanilla. And I'm sure that is the correct view.
Au contraire, because I currently hate it is a perfect reason to start a thread on it. I'm looking for others to bring some kind of knowledge to the table that may help me understand why this mixed up dial deserves to be called a classic. So far, nothing. And yes, I'm already aware that this design didn't start with Panerai. Just like you can't stand vanilla, I can't stand the Cali dial. It's a schizophrenic mess. Since there are others who've responded that they agree with me, my curiosity in this regard is satisfied.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
You are not alone. I don't like it.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Au contraire, because I currently hate it is a perfect reason to start a thread on it. I'm looking for others to bring some kind of knowledge to the table that may help me understand why this mixed up dial deserves to be called a classic. So far, nothing. And yes, I'm already aware that this design didn't start with Panerai. Just like you can't stand vanilla, I can't stand the Cali dial. It's a schizophrenic mess. Since there are others who've responded that they agree with me, my curiosity in this regard is satisfied.
This is the sort of rubbish that keeps me out of the PF a lot of the time... You hate something, good for you. No "knowledge" that anyone brings will change that - it is a matter of taste, which is subjective. Your OP had nothing to do with why it is called "classic" (not sure anyone even did), it said "I can't understand what is appealing about this design."

It would be far more interesting and (gasp) perhaps even productive to just put it out there and say "not familiar with this new design - what do people think of or know about it?"

So post hoc change your tune all you want, it's just another hate thread... (yawn). However, I am glad I opened it because I happen to like the design, and have some knowledge of its history!

Now carry on hate-mongering or venting or whatever it is you are doing b-)

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I wouldn't say "So far, nothing." I think you got some good responses, but of course you are free to disregard them.

As long as you make sense to yourself we are all good.

hidden by leaves is on the mark. Well said. Though OP seems to myopic to get it. He would rather hate on than seek knowledge.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts