WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. You'd think that the no day/no date window would be preferable on any watch that has to be set if you don't wear it for a few days. Quickset or no- still little point/reward for the expense of the complication. I can't easily read the date, I always know what day of the week it is, and I usually don't have to think for more than a second to remember the date. As it stands, I never set the date on anything but a quartz, because I know I won't have to set it again until the month changes, if that.

Maybe it's a thing because most watch buyers probably own only one piece, and wear it daily. But I'd like to know about this "date" mindset if it applies to people who own more than a few mech watches.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I think this is just a particular preference.
I prefer watches with dates. Day is no problem but date often can be. I work in an office so every time I take file notes, I need to date them.
It would seem that most people would also prefer the date, given how common it is and the fact an ordinary watch owner has one or two watches and not a collection, so setting the date isn't a problem most are concerned about.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
If setting day and date could be an hassle to you... you have not encounter moonphase yet. That could make you bald if you're not the patience type of "fiddle the watch" person.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If setting day and date could be an hassle to you... you have not encounter moonphase yet. That could make you bald if you're not the patience type of "fiddle the watch" person.
LMAO... I'm bald now.

I'd never deliberately buy a moonphase. I never cared for those "chronographs" that display days in the subdial, either. I have no use for a chrono that isn't a sports watch.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a theory that no one actually uses their date window to keep track of the date, even those who love a date complication.

I think most people just like having something else in the watch to interact with. That and they prefer the design with a date window.

Personally, most of my watches don't have a date, but there are some watches that I don't mind them on.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Good question. I sway between both camps frequently and swap between my date and no date watches often. I’d say i wear no-dates more though

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd rather not have the complication since I don't even set it most times, but they are obviously popular.
I'm not sure I've even owned a watch with a day window, but most of mine have date windows. Like I said earlier, I can't even see them, and I wish they weren't there.

I did some searching before I posted this, but the results dealt mostly with set or don't set, which if different from "Why can't we remember what day/date it is?"

Look at this guy with his life all figured out!

In seriousness, even before covid I could only tell weekdays apart from weekends by the number of people having brunch outside.
You're killing me!

·
Registered
204 Posts
You'd think that the no day/no date window would be preferable...blah-blah.
You seem to think, but I don't. "You'd think" applies you to, not me. So much presumption here. I want a date. I do look at it. If it's not there, I feel a key piece of information about time is missing. A watch is about keeping track of time after all, and if you can have one more datum, why not? If you have to set the time anyway, how much trouble is it to set the date? Some people go on about the date window breaking symmetry. I think symmetry is overrated. A date window that's part of a good design adds interest. I have a watch or two without a date, but I see it as a compromise. A date is a thing because it's useful and people who are not you want it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I haven't been a watcha addict for long, but your question and assumptions are roughly what I asked and concluded. Now I strongly prefer time only and no date or other complications. I even have 3 quartz watches without a date, which is rare (2 GS, 1 Lum-Tec).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't been a watcha addict for long, but your question and assumptions are roughly what I asked and concluded. Now I strongly prefer time only and no date or other complications. I even have 3 quartz watches without a date, which is rare (2 GS, 1 Lum-Tec).
I've got three out of twelve with no day or date. Those are probably going to become the ones I wear the most.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Quartz I don't mind it on but mechanicals if it can be purchased without the date I would rather have that since I rotate a few of them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want a date. I do look at it. If it's not there, I feel a key piece of information about time is missing.
I see.

Anyhoo, I tend to always know what the day and date are, so it's not a necessity for me. I see it as using a calculator to compute something that would be easier and faster to compute in my head, as long as I know the answer.

A watch is about keeping track of time after all, and if you can have one more datum, why not?
Well, because it's not always a quick-set, and it involves even more winding. Doesn't wear out my wrist, but IMO days and dates are a solution looking for a problem, if you've kept up with what day and date it is all along.

If you have to set the time anyway, how much trouble is it to set the date?
It's more trouble than not doing it.

And what's worse, for me, is setting it only to need reading glasses to see it.
I suppose if I could easily read the date AND I was fairly often unsure what day/date it is...

I think some of this is due to a lot of people trying to hang on to (all) the original purpose(s) of a watch, as tho there aren't already dozens of clues throughout the day to remind us. Like the phone, desktop, laptop, car dash, refrigerator, microwave, television...

Some people go on about the date window breaking symmetry. I think symmetry is overrated.
I read that in one of the threads I searched before starting this one.

A date is a thing because it's useful and people who are not you want it.
lol
precious

1 - 20 of 155 Posts