Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a G-Shock and came across these two models:

AWG100-1A: $119
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/AWG100-1A.asp

GS1100-1A: $219
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/GS1100-1A.asp

They both have pretty much the same features: Solar, Atomic, 200m, etc... I was wondering why one is $100 more expensive than the other. If anything, it seems like the first one is better for me because of the LED light. On that note, how good are the Neo-bright luminous hands and markers? How long do they stay luminated in the dark?

·
Registered
946 Posts
one reason is that the second one is fully analog and has i believe 5 separate motors running all the hands. it's more difficult to make analog readouts shock resisant when compared to an lcd display. it's actually quite an impressive technological achievment, and that's an awesome price.

the hands only stay bright for a short period of time after exposure to a bright light source. the lume is good considering how little of it there is, but it's nothing compared to your standard g-shock backlight or LED.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
one reason is that the second one is fully analog and has i believe 5 separate motors running all the hands. it's more difficult to make analog readouts shock resisant when compared to an lcd display. it's actually quite an impressive technological achievment, and that's an awesome price.

the hands only stay bright for a short period of time after exposure to a bright light source. the lume is good considering how little of it there is, but it's nothing compared to your standard g-shock backlight or LED.
the second is a giez model. i have been told its a somewhat limited model. and its case is all stainless steel verse resin. i have the awg 100 and realy like it. i also have a wvq 550a not a g but carbon face is very cool :)also date is digital. the problem with this one is if i hit the wrong button the hads go crazy and i need the manual some times to reset.:-s for the price i like the awg 100. but eveybody is different. good luck :-!

·
Registered
4,883 Posts

DITTO!

I'd also like to note that 100 has lume in the form of 2 LEDs at 3 and 9 PM. These are good enough to read time in dark but forget about reading digital readout.

I've also found (but that might be just me) digital readout to be kinda small and diffcult to read at glance.

Other, as stated is full analog and hence it's more expensive.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
here's a couple things I think drive up the price:

Size: 49.8 mm vs. 46 mm
Materials: SS case vs. plastic case
Band: Metal/resin bracelet vs. resin band
Movement: 5 movement analog vs 1 movement/digital
Caseback: Screwback vs. 4 screw back
Quality: high/mid-range vs. entry level
Looks: Design vs. simplicity

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Thanks for the replies. What exactly is Resin? Is it black stainless steel?
No...depending on semantics, it's a plastic or rubber polymer which is very good at withstanding bumps without scratching/denting and absorbing much of the shock. It will breakdown with age and exposure to UV, chemicals, sweat etc, but that might take 10+ years with good maintanence.

You're looking at two different watches there. The Giez is a whole level up. Five motor watches are not going to be as cheap as a low level digital. I have seen those Giez go for about $160, but I can't remember where now. I'll post if I do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a watch with a rubber band long ago and it smelled when I sweat with it (i.e. after running). Since then, I've never worn anything but stainless steel. Does resin have the bad smell problem?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The rubber doesn't...allowing the sweat gunk to build up will produce odour on most surfaces because it's a breeding ground for bacteria. It also depends on the nature of your sweat. More acidic sweat will smell worse. Alkaline sweat retards bacteria growth.

Just wipe down your watch with a moist rag after you've sweated on it.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
DITTO!

I'd also like to note that 100 has lume in the form of 2 LEDs at 3 and 9 PM. These are good enough to read time in dark but forget about reading digital readout.
that is not correct. the AWG100 has only one LED sitting at the 7:00 or 6:30 position which barely lights the analog part up, the digital subdials however stay in darkness, as you correctly stated.

IIAce said:
They both have pretty much the same features: Solar, Atomic, 200m, etc... I was wondering why one is $100 more expensive than the other. If anything, it seems like the first one is better for me because of the LED light. On that note, how good are the Neo-bright luminous hands and markers? How long do they stay luminated in the dark?
my opinion about the AWG100/101 illumination you can read here

regards, holger

·
Registered
18 Posts
well, my subjective opinion
have you had them in hands or seen in real? that giez is super cool, the second one model not at all. that is my explain ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts