WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've worked for TAG now a while and noone can answer this question for me. Even asked JCB himself and he didnt have an answer so I'm asking the super enthusiast if they have any take on it. In TAG displays, the date is set to the 8th. Any ideas why? Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Some brands like Renato always enlarge the 8 on the dial. i think it's something about having good luck or good fortune in some parts of the world.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Heuer begins with an H that happens to be the eight letter in alphabet. ;-)

Googling the number eight in relations to symbol for infinity is worth a look too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
8 is a sacred number, in many parts of the world.
a way to promise luck to the potential buyer of the watch ?

·
Registered
836 Posts
As far as the catalogs, I just checked onthedash.com and all the Heuer Catalogs they list don't standardize the date at 8. The first occurrence is a TAG Heuer 1990 catalog where all dates show 8. My most recent catalog shows 8s as well.

My two guesses at this point are

TAG Heuer has 8 letters.

Perhaps the master Edouard Heuer was born on the 8th? I did a quick search and can't find any reference to his birthdate.

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think it's because 8 is a large open number (not numerically but in the amount of space it takes up) so it fills the date window nicely for display without looking cluttered and it's round and friendly :)

I also think the infinity correlation has merit

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it's because 8 is a large open number (not numerically but in the amount of space it takes up) so it fills the date window nicely for display without looking cluttered and it's round and friendly :)

I also think the infinity correlation has merit
First off, I love ALL the responses and thank all of you for your input. Secondly Thwizzit, your idea was what most of us thought when we rack our brains about it on a slow night. o|

·
3,261 Posts
I'd agree with the idea that "8" is the most graphical number..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts