WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are the similar marine series watches significantly cheaper than the equivalent flieger version? Consider the Marine Sport 43 has a price of £1101.51 vs the Flieger Sport Classic's £1315.56. They have the same case and top grade automatic movement. Obviously the dial and the hands are different. But surely that doesn't account for the Flieger being more expensive. Is it just because one is a flieger and the other isn't?

Cheers,

M

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Because there are probably more people interested in Fliegers in view of their versatility than marines, which are considered more dressy. I personally like the marine design better : )

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Think more people are interested in Fliegers like previous reply says. Also another factor that likley drive it the most is that they hand finish their matte cases. (Which is pretty much all their Fliegers)

Efit: Actually both watches you memtioned are matte. So I’m unsure of the reasoning for the price difference. My TO2 with same case and simpler dial was €1200 so who knows.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
The flieger dial and handset are lumed and this would be more expensive than the unlumed dial and handset of the marine. The marine dial can be printed with one cliche while a flieger A dial with logo or B dial will require 2 cliches. The hands require an additional step to apply the lume.

I do not know if it accounts for all of the price difference though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The flieger dial and handset are lumed and this would be more expensive than the unlumed dial and handset of the marine. The marine dial can be printed with one cliche while a flieger A dial with logo or B dial will require 2 cliches. The hands require an additional step to apply the lume.

I do not know if it accounts for all of the price difference though.
The Flieger 40 white is comparable to the Marine models pricewise. From my point of view the estimation could be right, That it depends on the Different Production efforts of the dials and lumed hands.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
WHY do people want to explain prices for luxury watches ( all watches for 20,- and more ) by adducing rational arguments?
What counts is emotion and subjective feelings - nothing else,

Volker ;-)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
WHY do people want to explain prices for luxury watches ( all watches for 20,- and more ) by adducing rational arguments?
What counts is emotion and subjective feelings - nothing else,

Volker ;-)
Don't agree at all - Many people pay for quality and the work involved to produce the thing of 'beauty'.

The resultant quality and workmanship is where the value lies for many watches, and there is not issue in understanding where that value is and the processes involved to produce said item - I assume that even more the case for Stowa watches.

For brands like D Dornbluth and Sohn, which have many hand processes etc.. the value is an integral part of their offering.

If you are buying a watch purely as a status symbol than value may not be as relevant, but as a horological item it plays an important part. If I had to choose between two watches of the same cost, the 'value' and work to produce said watch would have an important role in making my decision

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
How do you distinguish a status symbol watch from a horological item? What are the main criteria?

Volker ;-)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don’t think we should be confusing price and value, which are two completely different (and only loosely related) things. Especially in the world of luxury goods.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
How do you distinguish a status symbol watch from a horological item? What are the main criteria?

Volker ;-)
I dont think Stowa can be thought of as a status symbol, probably 0.1% of people will ever have heard of them - its a pretty useless status symbol when it is largely unknown.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
We didn't talk about Stowa watches.......
What are your main criteria to distinguish a status symbol from a horological item?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts