WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I look for info about American watches on WUS I have to search either the Public or the Vintage forums or some dedicated brand forum (if there is one). This is not convenient as there are many American watches (or with American heritage) that are discussed on WUS. An American Watches Forum could consolidate all the info and discussions. I am sure that there are many experienced collectors that could moderate such a forum.

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,031 Posts
I think the issue is most of the "American" watch companies
currently making watches in the US are low production
operations without a common theme for discussion. I suspect
there would not be enough traffic to justify a separate forum.

There are several "American" watch companies that pretty
much only do design and marketing. You can find most of
those in the Dive watch forum or the Fashion watch forum.

The watch brands that made US watch companies famous
have mostly been acquired by foreign interests. You may
not be interested in their current product lines, and the
Vintage forum might be the appropriate place to look.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I think this will eventually happen as American watchmaking recovers, I just don't know if there are enough American brands or content to discuss yet.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
There's only RGM, so it would make more sense just to give that brand its own subforum

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Waltham, Vintage Hamilton, Vintage Bulova all the way~

Timex, Kobold are American but not made in USA. Invicta, Android...should also be consider American watches. No?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Do we have Japanese or Swiss watch forums? No. Yet these countries produce millions of watches per year...

USA doesn't have a watch industry. There is no large scale case or movement manufacturers in this country. An "American watch" forum would only talk about vintage watches...

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
Do we have Japanese or Swiss watch forums? No. Yet these countries produce millions of watches per year...
USA doesn't have a watch industry. There is no large scale case or movement manufacturers in this country. An "American watch" forum would only talk about vintage watches...
These two sentences contradict themselves lol

I've asked the Q re the swiss section before

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, on WUS there is a German Watches forum and a Russian Watches forum. None of these two countries produce millions of watches either. I believe there are enough topics to be discussed on an American Watches forum.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Well, on WUS there is a German Watches forum and a Russian Watches forum. None of these two countries produce millions of watches either. I believe there are enough topics to be discussed on an American Watches forum.
Probably the difference is that there are many more active German and Russian watch manufacturers than there are in currently in the U.S.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
The Vintage forum is the place for American watches since the vast majority are vintage. There is little likelihood that an American Watch forum will fly here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts