WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
1) Nobody has bought it yet, and some sellers on Amazon are notoriously optimistic.

2) Ignorance, because it's Amazon, and collectors could probably get a better deal elsewhere.

3) It's a "collab" (or "collaboration" or "collaborative edition") between Casio and "The Hundreds" -- Casio makes a LOT of these limited edition watches (with different companies) and while they ARE collectible, the actual value of these watches is seldom the same as the perceived value by sellers on Amazon or eBay.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Riddle me this, Batman:

Why would someone buy this for US$25,000?

Not everyone holds the same values you do.

HTH

That's different. That's a luxury watch, it's what is inside that counts. But with the Casio... my GW-M5610-1 does everything the $650 one can... same brand, same functions, different look...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
But with the Casio... my GW-M5610-1 does everything the $650 one can... same brand, same functions, different look...
And anybody with a piece of polarizing filter and a white strap can achieve ALMOST the same look...or anybody with a GW-M5610-1B and a white strap...but they won't get the cool silkscreen on the strap, or the collectible tin and box!

Most of us here didn't think those features were worth however much extra the watch cost when it was released, but enough people did that there are multiple threads about THAT EXACT watch on this forum, like where to find it and where to find replacement straps.

People collect all kinds of things, and the manufacturers listen and create artificial demand with "rare" baseball cards, Beanie Babies, Holiday Barbie dolls, and even G-Shocks!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And anybody with a piece of polarizing filter and a white strap can achieve ALMOST the same look...or anybody with a GW-M5610-1B and a white strap...but they won't get the cool silkscreen on the strap, or the collectible tin and box!

Most of us here didn't think those features were worth however much extra the watch cost when it was released, but enough people did that there are multiple threads about THAT EXACT watch on this forum, like where to find it and where to find replacement straps.

People collect all kinds of things, and the manufacturers listen and create artificial demand with "rare" baseball cards, Beanie Babies, Holiday Barbie dolls, and even G-Shocks!

lol... they don't listen to me though... I've been begging them for a square GPS watch ....

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
lol... they don't listen to me though... I've been begging them for a square GPS watch ....
Look at it from a business standpoint: research and development for a "GPS square" would cost Casio quite a bit of money, then they'd have to invest even more money into producing, shipping, and ultimately selling thousands of them in order to get their money back.

Teaming up with a small, hip company and slapping together a watch out of existing parts is like having a license to print money. Casio adding a silkscreened strap or custom caseback, and printing special tins and/or cardboard boxes -- that's a relatively tiny investment (or NO investment, if they can get the other company to foot the bill) -- and then when they sell the "collectible" model for a lot more money than the base model, that's almost pure profit.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look at it from a business standpoint: research and development for a "GPS square" would cost Casio quite a bit of money, then they'd have to invest even more money into producing, shipping, and ultimately selling thousands of them in order to get their money back.

Teaming up with a small, hip company and slapping together a watch out of existing parts is like having a license to print money. Casio adding a silkscreened strap or custom caseback, and printing special tins and/or cardboard boxes -- that's a relatively tiny investment (or NO investment, if they can get the other company to foot the bill) -- and then when they sell the "collectible" model for a lot more money than the base model, that's almost pure profit.
Why did they make a Gravity Master? Analog GPS... whats wrong with LCD GPS?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Nothing wrong with LCD GPS, but analogue is more premium to most consumers, and GPS = $$, so they had to go with analogue to ensure the higher price point is justified in the average consumer's eyes

By the way, I'm not into collabs, but limited editions of normal items endorsed by famous people/brands ALWAYS cost a lot, doesn't matter what brand of watch or what kind of product (think sneakers). So asking about why a limited edition square is $650 is a bit pointless isn't it?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing wrong with LCD GPS, but analogue is more premium to most consumers, and GPS = $$, so they had to go with analogue to ensure the higher price point is justified in the average consumer's eyes

By the way, I'm not into collabs, but limited editions of normal items endorsed by famous people/brands ALWAYS cost a lot, doesn't matter what brand of watch or what kind of product (think sneakers). So asking about why a limited edition square is $650 is a bit pointless isn't it?

I just noticed that only the strap in Unique... can't you just get a regular 5600 and buy the straps separately?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Nobody here knows for sure, but compare the cost of the Gravity Master with GPS to the cost of a GW-M5610. :-d Different costs, different potential customers, and different competition from other companies.

Some people around this sub-forum complain that Casio follows trends rather than creating them, as evidenced by the recent smartwatch revolution. Garmin and Suunto have carved out their own sub-markets with all-digital GPS and ABC watches and so far Casio hasn't tried to directly compete with them. Those other watches are GPS units that are conveniently built into watch-shaped cases; Casio builds watches that just happen to have ABC features. The Digital and ABC sub-forum probably has a lot more information about that subject, but what YOU want with GPS in a watch isn't the same thing that those other companies are doing with it.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I just noticed that only the strap in Unique... can't you just get a regular 5600 and buy the straps separately?
That's exactly what I said up in post #7. :-d

It would be much cheaper to just build one yourself with spare parts, but THAT isn't a "collectible."

See what I mean now about Casio having a license to just print money?! The sad thing is that a lot of newer collabs look like the "designer" spent even LESS time on them. "Let's take this older watch, add a logo on the crystal, and print some custom boxes. INSTANT PROFIT!"

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's exactly what I said up in post #7. :-d

It would be much cheaper to just build one yourself with spare parts, but THAT isn't a "collectible."

See what I mean now about Casio having a license to just print money?! The sad thing is that a lot of newer collabs look like the "designer" spent even LESS time on them. "Let's take this older watch, add a logo on the crystal, and print some custom boxes. INSTANT PROFIT!"

It's not that easy though to disrupt regular production. There is normally an assembly line for each type of watch. You have to go out of your way to create a new design and then have it printed on a batch of watches purposely set aside for the special edition. But with the price they charge it easily covers the disruption. "overhead fees"

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You can even buy a white strap and have it silk screened for much less, with whatever logo or brand name you want...
Actually, the watch itself has some differences in colour as well compared, but this is all beside the point. It is not a true collectible if it doesn't have provenance. It is like the difference between an authentic art and a forgery, functionally the same, but without provenance, there is no value in it. There is absolutely no rationality when it comes to limited edition collectibles, so don't try to justify the price rationally, it doesn't compute

·
Registered
493 Posts
All kinds of collectables that become rare are sold for a lot more than the original price. This piece was sold out pretty quick and very popular. I remember I was interested too, if I would have seen it for less than 200 euro, but it was hard to get in Europe and 300 euro for this was too much already. For that kind of money, you can have a GW-5000.
But OK, if you are a collector...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
That's different. That's a luxury watch, it's what is inside that counts. But with the Casio... my GW-M5610-1 does everything the $650 one can... same brand, same functions, different look...
then why not buy this? for 1/25th of the price. not 1/6th of the price like that 5600 collab.
Tudor Oyster Rolex Watch 17J 1960'S Vintage | eBay

same brand, same functions, different look right?

that last point is the clincher tho, DIFFERENT LOOK. ppl will pay more for something to look a bit different than the regular thing.
(kind of ironic for a square owner like yourself since so many squares look almost identical)
same reasoning applies to why you bought your beloved gwm5610, you can get other models cheaper with the same brand and same functions so why didnt you?

ppl also like to buy things that are limited and unique but are -known- to be limited and unique which is what gives them the perceived value. if you make a custom of the original then its really just a replica and we know replicas are never worth the same amount. do you think sticking an audi badge on your vw would be the same as owning an actual audi? theyre essentially the same car for some models but its a big difference of perception when it comes to the badge.

im actually a bit lost as to how this concept isnt obvious to ppl. even if you lived away from civilisation and only ever bought and sold vegetables, if some were out of season or a crop was damaged so there werent as many, they would obviously cost more.

out of curiosity, what sort of phone to you have?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts