WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
Well, the Bulova is definitely the pick of the two. Apart from being a rather better known brand, it has a nice movement - and an in-house one as well (Cal. 5CE, as stamped on the movement)! The other one, never mind the 17 jewels, has a pin lever movement and the overall movment finish is not as great. Still, both will be reliable if they are still in working order and once they have had a service - it's just that the Bulova would be worth a little more. Still, ladies watches are never that collectible (not enough demand) but at 5$ for both, you have not been ripped off.

As for age, I would guess fifties or early sixties for both.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Well, the Bulova is definitely the pick of the two. Apart from being a rather better known brand, it has a nice movement - and an in-house one as well (Cal. 5CE, as stamped on the movement)! The other one, never mind the 17 jewels, has a pin lever movement and the overall movment finish is not as great. Still, both will be reliable if they are still in working order and once they have had a service - it's just that the Bulova would be worth a little more. Still, ladies watches are never that collectible (not enough demand) but at 5$ for both, you have not been ripped off.

As for age, I would guess fifties or early sixties for both.

Hartmut Richter
I had a Mortima in a batch off ebay recently. Mortima is/was, apparently, a brand of the French company Cattin AG. Mine had a 1 jewel movement marked Cattin C2, France.

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

Mortima was a French watch company that was perhaps best known for its line of diver watches in the 1970s: Mortima SuperDatOMatic, gotta love that name. They made some strange watches. as you can see here (watch with temperature and compass built in...but in a dress watch!). The watches were generally Swiss Made.

Disappeared, as far as I know, during the quartz years. They were fairly pedestrian - you can see this in the movement shown - and at the end of the day simply didn't offer enough bang for the buck. Victim of their times...

JohnF

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

Excellent detective work...

Today's Cattin:

ATTIN & CIE SA MONTRES CATOREX

Rue du Pré-au-Maire 10
Case postale 24
2345 LES BREULEUX

Tel. : 032 / 954 16 54
Fax : 032 / 954 16 48

Their slogan appears to be:

“And the best is, no one knows we produce for your brand !”

:)

So I guess if you want to have a brand new Mortima, they're the folks to go to... :)

JohnF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts