WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the look of the applied logo speedmaster's and was wondering whether it is possible to transform my 861 in to one (at least by looks). I.e. if I were to source an applied logo 321 speedmaster dial (ie with applied logo and professional on dial) would it fit my '69 861 145.022 speedmaster? I've seen that there are a few 'transitional' (well that word seems to cover a few different types) speedies out there - including on this forum - that have cal 861 but the applied logo, but I weren't sure whether there was a size or other difference between the 321 and 861 dials. As far as I can see, the hands on these transitionals are the same as the 145.022 861's

I know some of you may think it crazy/heresy/??? - feel free to think/say that ;-) I'd obviously retain the original dial...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I think it is a cool idea, though I suspect Speedy purists won't like it too much. I had asked the same question embedded in another thread, whether it would be possible to take a modern Speedy and replace the dial with the applied logo 321 dial. It seems like it should fit from a circumference standpoint, but not sure if the chronograph parts have a slightly different fit across various Speedy models.

I would consider this mod if my Speedy was going in for service, to get the dial swapped while the hood is open.

Regards,
Eric

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
The cal. 321 dial has larger "feet" and will not fit into the cal. (*)86* movement without some machining.

Here is a comparison photo of an 861 dial on the left and a 321 on the right:

An alternative would be to go with the "'57 Re-issue" dial which would give you the applied Ω symbol but no "Professional":

Fr. John†

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, were else could I get this info - even with pics - in 1h. Thanks^2. I guess that there must be a small number of 861 applied-logo dials out there made for the 'transitionals'. Or maybe Omega stopped making these because they got tired of filing their dials ;-)

·
Registered
969 Posts
If I had any doubts about the 'realness' of the transitional Speedy, I think that the dial comparison photo posted by Fr. John just eased my mind. It looks like it would take quite a bit of work to make that dial fit anything other than a cal.321. The feet would have to be shortened and also the diameter reduced. I guess you could just replace the feet entirely, but....well I still feel better! Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I m looking for a black dial with applied logo for a speedmaster 145012 (1967).
If you know where I can find it, please send me the adress or mail.
Thanks
Best regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts